Week 5 Day 3 and beyond

Options
So I just finished Week 5 Day 3 last night and if that was the end I'd be excited. Any advice going forward, two more workouts and than everything is just straight jogging for weeks.

I ran the 20 minutes yesterday at an 11:34 pace which was a good steady pace for me, but I can definitely say I was exhausted afterwards and still this morning. Given I did day 3, the day after doing an hour of zumba toning and sentao (mostly abs and lower body using a chair).

Anyone have any advice for going forward with just jogging and not feeling so exhausted afterwards?

Replies

• DamieAnne
    DamieAnne Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would go at a slower pace, it helps enormously.

When I did the first 20 minute run and all the proceeding runs at 5mph - i was pretty exhausted after that 20 minutes! I slowed it down after that to 4.5mph and it made a HUGE difference. I now have only one more run in the whole program to do and i'm still doing it slower, and I am so so sooo glad I slowed down!

Congrats on getting so far already, you should be able to get through the rest no problems :)
  • FutureMrs0515
    FutureMrs0515 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think I was going fast. I thought I was moving so slow. Though I keep my app open so I know when to change intervals I refuse to look at it until I finish, so I never really know my pace. I just try to stay within my heart rate range. I'll try to slow it down more though. Thanks for the advice!
  • Stanlee202
    Stanlee202 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know I go slow, but honestly it's ok because at least I'm out there & moving! Seriously though, trust the program. Week 6 throws a Walk/run in there, but they gradually bump up the time, like 2-3 minutes each week. Have fun!!
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    To be honest, once you get past the mental challenge the rest is relatively easy. Think of 22 mins as running the last minute of your warm up and the first of your cooldown plus what you did on the 20 minuter. I was where you were a week ago. Now I have conquered my mental frailty, the physical challenge is quite minor
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think I was going fast. I thought I was moving so slow. Though I keep my app open so I know when to change intervals I refuse to look at it until I finish, so I never really know my pace. I just try to stay within my heart rate range. I'll try to slow it down more though. Thanks for the advice!
    If you don't have soreness beyond the usual and no one-sided pain either (those are bad), but you've been running at a pace where you could have a conversation, by all means keep doing what you're doing. If you can't talk during running, you're going too fast.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's when I started to listen to music. Slow down if you couldn't carry on a conversation while running.
  • FutureMrs0515
    Options
    Oh I could talk - my fiance was running with me and we were chatting most of the time (mainly about how I hated him for making me run haha). :-D
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Music and my own thoughts :) I've had some emotional runs from time to time because I can't escape anywhere :D
  • FutureMrs0515
    Options
    I think I'll just need to make sure there are days between runs - I sometimes run back-to-back days and I cross-train with zumba, so I only have 1 or 2 off days a week. I'll have to see if I can space the running out a bit.
  • RunninGran
    Options
    Just a thought but you might look at what you are eating. That is where the diary is really nice. You might notice a pattern in your diet that might give you a hint. I am just learning myself (just finished week 4 last night) but I have noticed that sometimes I feel like I am running in mud and sometimes I feel like I am running on air so I am starting to pay attention to what fuel I am providing my body to see if I see any correlation.
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just did W5D3 I made it through the 20 men but it takes me 30 min for full workout. I am just gonna keep going:-) . Work on pace after I get conditioned. I am only able to run 2 x per week.
  • FutureMrs0515
    Options
    Just as an update - I have just one workout left in C25K and my first 5K race is Saturday! I ran a full 5K (no stopping) at the end of week 8 in 36:41. I'm definitely starting to notice the tiredness of my legs and can adjust my run expectations on that - for instance Week 9 Day 1 - thought I was going to die, but Day 2 of the same week was okay. :-)
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just finished W6 D3!! I never thought I could run that long. 1.45 m in 1430. I added a hill as well. :-) :-) Feeling really good and tired.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just as an update - I have just one workout left in C25K and my first 5K race is Saturday! I ran a full 5K (no stopping) at the end of week 8 in 36:41. I'm definitely starting to notice the tiredness of my legs and can adjust my run expectations on that - for instance Week 9 Day 1 - thought I was going to die, but Day 2 of the same week was okay. :-)

How did your 5 k race go? I just started reading this thread because I'm doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

How did your 5 k race go? I just started reading this thread because I'm doing week 5 day 3 tomorrow.
    Good luck with tomorrow, I am sure you will be fine. :happy:
  • FutureMrs0515
    Options
    The 5K went great! We did the Color Run so it was a lot of fun and a lot of people. We wound up finishing in 33 minutes! I just started a new training program (just to have something to keep me on task) called Running 4 Fat Loss on Runkeeper - it's sometimes too many days a week for me so I'm adjusting as needed, but it's a good mix of running steady and intervals.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The 5K went great! We did the Color Run so it was a lot of fun and a lot of people. We wound up finishing in 33 minutes! I just started a new training program (just to have something to keep me on task) called Running 4 Fat Loss on Runkeeper - it's sometimes too many days a week for me so I'm adjusting as needed, but it's a good mix of running steady and intervals.

Good job. That's a pretty good time. I'm hoping to be in that ballpark when I build up to participating in a 5k.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6, Day 1. My third 5K is next Sunday, and I can't hardly wait! I'm not nearly as fast as you. My last time was 49:47. My next goal is hitting the 45 minute mark. I've got a long way to go. 30 minute mark after that, then the 10Ks start. I'm prepping for a half marathon in December 2015.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 6, Day 1. My third 5K is next Sunday, and I can't hardly wait! I'm not nearly as fast as you. My last time was 49:47. My next goal is hitting the 45 minute mark. I've got a long way to go. 30 minute mark after that, then the 10Ks start. I'm prepping for a half marathon in December 2015.

You can do it, newhealthykim!

Everyone is doing great. Keep up the good work.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I finished W6 D2 today, it was two 10 minute segments with a three minute walk in between. The Zen Labs free version showed "jog 1 mile for 10 minutes" I jogged 10 minutes but only made it 3/4 of a mile on the first leg and a little over 3/4 of a mile on the second. I was mad at myself for not going the distance so I walked the cool down and then ran 8 minutes afterwards thinking I needed to keep working on my endurance. I did a total distance of 3 1/2 miles between walks and runs, mostly running.

My runner friend said I'm not running fast enough to cover the distance so I need to redo W6 D1 which is smaller runs to build my speed up but everything I read recommends running slower and running the whole time versus faster and not finishing. I'm going to redo this day on Friday and see if I can bump up the speed to hit the mile marks for both legs.

I'm curious what other runners have experienced. Any thoughts on this are appreciated :happy:

Sláinte! :drinker: