blood ketone levels

Options
hookilau
hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
I bought a ketone meter & I'm wondering if anyone else is testing blood samples.

Though I pee pink to purple on the regular, I've hit a bit of a stall =P So I thought I might try testing to see what's happening.

My lifts are progressing but I find I'm digging deeper for those last 2 reps as opposed to breezing through.

Anyhow, just wondering if there's anyone who's tested using a meter to help me figure out where I could be going wrong.

I'm at a loss for when the best time to test is, so I've tested only fasting so far, and ketostix always indicate.
I'm weight training 3x weekly & walking daily. I'm keeping my net carbs to btw. 30 and 40 g per day. Diary is open in case anyone wants to take a look.

I'm aiming to keep my calories at < 1800 per day, I'm 45 yrs old, 5' and currently 129#'s. Prior to increasing my carbs to btw
50-100 grams gross, I had been maintaining 125-126 # easily at 2-2300 cal per day. Incidentally, when I was at this level of carbs & calories, I was flying through my lifts.

This morning, FBG 85 mg/dl (low for me, usually I test at about 90-98 mg/dl)
Fasting blood ketone levels were a dismal 0.3 m/M.

Anyway, anyone want to compare notes?

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The morning ketone levels are going to be low, but (and you probably know this) you want it at 0.5 since that's nutritional ketosis. If it's at 0.5 then you're fine. Sounds like maybe you could lower the carbs a bit and see how your ketones are in the morning. The morning blood ketone levels tend to be the lowest. They go up after eating and after exercise. So if you test in the evening, I'm sure your levels are higher than what you see in the morning.

I just pick one time of day to test the blood ketone levels and stick to it. In the morning I can be around 0.7 and the rest of the day, it can go up to 1.5-2.0. I don't think I ever hit really high levels of 3.0+, but you don't have to. If you hit nutritional ketosis, you're fine.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. :wink:
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open. When I did test, the best time I got my readings was in the evening. Are you overdoing the protein? Excess protein will turn to glucose therefore not get you into ketosis. Maybe keep your protein higher on lifting days but on days you are not lifting them lower them. Of course keep protein high enough to maintain your muscle mass. This site has great information on lifting and protein levels. http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains
  • hookilau
    Options
    :blushing: shoot. I thought it was open, sorry guys, fixed it.

Thanks for the comments. Yes, after I tested in the morning and was disappointed with the results, (0.1) I tested in the evening & even though it was only 0.3, I got to thinking evening might be better.

This morning, just for fun, I tested & got 0.8 so I'm well on my way. I don't know if it made a difference, but I started taking alpha lipoic acid as I've read it can help. I had some laying around & had been taking it in the past for my blood sugar.

My macros are set at 10% net carbs, 20% protein & 70% fat, although I'm at under 10% net carbs most days. I'm also eating at what I'd like to believe is a slight deficit, but I could be wrong.

I had lost the 30+ pounds on keto but have been stalled for several months. I'm looking to drop the last 10-20 but I should mention I'm T2D so the main reason for doing Keto was to get my BG's in check & keep 'em there :wink: but the remaining weight is starting to get to me.

I've just about used up all of the test strips I have & I'm getting ready to buy some more. Meantime I'm using ketostix & they've been indicating deeeeeep purple even though my meter indicated ketones were low....by the way, my scale agrees with my ketone meter :grumble:

Do you guys have a goal in mind? As in, are you testing to keep in a ketogenic state for weight loss? Just curious :wink:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Options
    I test because I'm a weirdo who likes lab tests and info on how my body is functioning. :laugh:

Not T2 but have a family history of it, so I keep an eye no the BG as well.

Have you considered doing some IF to see if that helps? Sometimes I eat breakfast around 11 am.

My goal is to lose 10 more pounds and get my A1C as low as I can get it.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I test every day. I'm also a weirdo that likes tests and data. I'm working on spreadsheet to plot different data over time. BG, ketones, BF%, BMI, etc. I'm a software weenie....what can I say? I'm also T2, but off all meds (woot). I have chronic thyroiditis, hypothyroidism and mastocytosis...all of which I am hoping to help with keto...so far so good. I'll consider any weight loss a bonus. that I'll track. and plot....lol
  • hookilau
    Options
    I test because I'm a weirdo who likes lab tests and info on how my body is functioning. :laugh:

Not T2 but have a family history of it, so I keep an eye no the BG as well.

Have you considered doing some IF to see if that helps? Sometimes I eat breakfast around 11 am.

My goal is to lose 10 more pounds and get my A1C as low as I can get it.

Me too :laugh:
    I'm nutty too & like the idea of testing to confirm what I think may be happening. When I first started this WOE, the weight just effortlessly fell off.

While my arms & legs are looking pretty good, my middle needs to step it up!...I figure I could live off my tummy fat for at least a couple of weeks if I can get a firm foothold :laugh:

I've tried IF in the past but all I did was think about food & it made me cranky that my BG continued to climb despite not eating. I might try it again though with a few tweaks.

There are days when I'm out shopping for the family & running errands on weekends, when I only have a chance to have a BP coffee and a handful of nuts in the a.m. & not end up eating again until early evening. That works well for both my BG and keeping to a caloric deficit. I think the walking around the whole time makes the difference for me.

Do you test every day?
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I bought a breath ketone meter (Ketonix.com). I've found it to be very reliable. I've done some parallel testing and compared values with some others (older model) to determine relative values to blood/beta-hydroxybutyrate.
    My values on my "blog" here on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PatchEFog
    My diary is open to friends, so if you're interested, just send me a FR.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "Do you test every day?"

Heck no. Used to do that in the beginning, but what's the point? If you're not eating more than 30g of net carbs per day, you're in ketosis. These days I only ever test out of curiosity when for some reason I ate more carbs. But even then I rarely ever drop out of ketosis - my body seems to have a knack for it.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I bought a breath ketone meter (Ketonix.com). I've found it to be very reliable. I've done some parallel testing and compared values with some others (older model) to determine relative values to blood/beta-hydroxybutyrate.

Dear Patch,

I was on a path to get the ketone blood meter. But after seeing your post, the Ketonix alternative looks way better. I went to their site and Amazon and read the good reviews. I like the idea that it tests as much as you want.

Being in engineering, I have been involved with other sensoring types of equipment like this tester. The thing I noticed is that a lot of sensors degrade over time. I don't know how long this device has been out, but I wish I could see if it still is accurate after a year or more. I am hoping that they have tested them for thousands of cycles.

I was going to purchase one today, but they are all out. All models. It was due to China (see their FaceBook page). It sounds like they will be getting shipments soon though.

THANK YOU for posting this.... how timely for me....!

Dan the Man from Michigan that used to be a Texan
  • PatchEFog
    Options

Dear Patch,

I was on a path to get the ketone blood meter. But after seeing your post, the Ketonix alternative looks way better. I went to their site and Amazon and read the good reviews. I like the idea that it tests as much as you want.

Being in engineering, I have been involved with other sensoring types of equipment like this tester. The thing I noticed is that a lot of sensors degrade over time. I don't know how long this device has been out, but I wish I could see if it still is accurate after a year or more. I am hoping that they have tested them for thousands of cycles.

I was going to purchase one today, but they are all out. All models. It was due to China (see their FaceBook page). It sounds like they will be getting shipments soon though.

THANK YOU for posting this.... how timely for me....!

Dan the Man from Michigan that used to be a Texan

No problem, Dan.
    The analyzer is not much different than the breathalyzers they use for alcohol consumption (DUI field testing), though I think the Ketonix is calibrated to be more sensitive. If you were to write Michel, he might be able to provide insight as to their mechanical and software testing. I haven't taken the thing apart, but I'm imagining there's some sort of EPROM in there. I've wondered more about the corrosion factor from the air humidity.... but I think he is very aware of all of these challenges and has addressed much of them in the production. The devices haven't been around that long, so I don't know how much extensive testing they've accomplished, but it would be interesting to know. I think you bring up a very important set of points regarding ongoing and long-term reliability. While I think I can utilize the Ketonix primarily for my needs, being as OCD as I am, I see myself occasionally re-verifying values with my Precision Xtra blood meter for beta-hydroxybutyrate.... It'll be a peace of mind issue. Even if the device lasts a year, I'll have saved a lot of money. $2-$5 a strip for blood testing is a bit rich for my blood. I've already done 483 tests with my device. Given my menu before my fat fast and now on the same menu and getting the same average in terms of Ketonix values, I see no appreciable difference at this point. I'll have to give consideration as to how many tests I should perform before also doing some blood testing. At this point, I'm thinking some parallel testing every 1000-or-so Ketonix tests.

As with any type of testing like this (urine or breath ketone), they are less reliable because they are essentially "waste" products, though the breath seems MUCH more reliable for me than the urine (which has NEVER showed anything greater than small/moderate ketone).

For the uninitiated, here is the article I push to explain the differences between urine ketone and blood 'ketone' testing:
    http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Doing a comparison of ketonix in fat fast is not a reliable measurement. Fat fast will put you in deep ketosis, the problem with urine strips or ketonix is what happens when you move in and out of ketosis or borderline Keto like OP. The reviews I have seen from people testing both ketonix and blood meter day to day has been very inconsistent. I can bet ketonix will show I am still in keto even after eating a cup cake just like urine Strips do.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I bought a ketone meter & I'm wondering if anyone else is testing blood samples.

Though I pee pink to purple on the regular, I've hit a bit of a stall =P So I thought I might try testing to see what's happening.

My lifts are progressing but I find I'm digging deeper for those last 2 reps as opposed to breezing through.

Anyhow, just wondering if there's anyone who's tested using a meter to help me figure out where I could be going wrong.

I'm at a loss for when the best time to test is, so I've tested only fasting so far, and ketostix always indicate.
    I'm weight training 3x weekly & walking daily. I'm keeping my net carbs to btw. 30 and 40 g per day. Diary is open in case anyone wants to take a look.

I'm aiming to keep my calories at < 1800 per day, I'm 45 yrs old, 5' and currently 129#'s. Prior to increasing my carbs to btw
    50-100 grams gross, I had been maintaining 125-126 # easily at 2-2300 cal per day. Incidentally, when I was at this level of carbs & calories, I was flying through my lifts.

This morning, FBG 85 mg/dl (low for me, usually I test at about 90-98 mg/dl)
    Fasting blood ketone levels were a dismal 0.3 m/M.

It depends on individual and your activity levels at time of the day. I get maximum ketone readings in the morning in a fasted state and usually lower during the day.
  • PatchEFog
    Options

Doing a comparison of ketonix in fat fast is not a reliable measurement. Fat fast will put you in deep ketosis, the problem with urine strips or ketonix is what happens when you move in and out of ketosis or borderline Keto like OP. The reviews I have seen from people testing both ketonix and blood meter day to day has been very inconsistent. I can bet ketonix will show I am still in keto even after eating a cup cake just like urine Strips do.
    Comparisons between blood and breat have been very close and appears to be quite reliable - much more reliable than anticipated. Definitely more reliable than urine.
    The fat fast only allowed me to get as high as Yellow 6 on any given day (correlating with an approximate beta-hydroxybutyrate value of about 3.6). Again, as previously stated, urine and breath ketone values are going to be less accurate than blood beta-hydroxybutyrate stores because they are WASTE of what is burned or not, but not a snapshot of the reserve itself (blood). The article above discusses this on some level.

I have correlated the values of others as well, and they are consistent with the values I have obtained and the scale I have determined, but I'm sure YMMV. I always encourage people to do their own testing, and thusfar, their testing has validated mine... so it's all good. :)
  • allened11
    allened11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

IMO your gross carbs might be too high. I found success with twice daily blood ketone tests (AM and PM) with reducing gross carbs to less than 20/day. I don't care what the net is. I only focus on gross. I'm consistently at 2.3 to 2.5 YMMV as each person processes carbs/proteins differently.

What I found using consistent and repeated twice/thrice daily blood testing is that not only daily carbs make a difference BUT the type of protein and carbs and artificial sweeteners make a HUGE difference on BG and BK levels. Test for a month.... get your numbers..... and then you'll have your road map will be laid out for you based on your own body and not what works for me or others.