Wanting to start the old Atkin's--Thoughts??

Options
I was thinking of trying the old Atkin's. From what I heard of the new diet I don't think it would work for me with the shakes and bars---I think I would end up binging :/ I tried Atkin's like 8 years ago and it killed me with 20 carbs a day--I was soooo tired, and in the Navy I kind of needed to be alert for my job lol. After my son was born in 2009 I did WW and lost 55 lbs in 6 months with no exercise on their old plan. On the new WW plan I have failed miserably several times and the traditional calorie counting here on MFP just doesn't work for me. Can anyone give me any tips, pointers about where to start, what to expect, and the pros/cons of the old vs new Atkin's? Thanks!!! :smile:

Replies

• courtney123180
    courtney123180 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    any suggestions, thoughts??? anyone, anyone...bueller, bueller :tongue:
  • sweetconcern
    sweetconcern Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No many people on the Atkins or not very active. I will try to answer what I can I have been on Atkins since May 26th. I have tried some of the products frozen dinners and bars. I have a bad thyroid so it is hard for me to lose(release I don't want to go find the weight I have LOST so I release my weight. LOL ) I have released 15 # and it is a very slow process. The old Atkins is much better for getting into ketosis. It takes about 2 to 5 days and then everything is good till you slip up and have too many Carbs and back to induction.
  • sweetconcern
    sweetconcern Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You might need to get your thyroid checked. I do great on Atkins , I have many friends who have lost lots of #### and kept them off eating the Atkins way. I can tell when my carbs are to many it makes you feel heavy Puffy and more.f
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm trying Atkins for the first time (I'm only on Day 9), but after perusing the boards, I've noticed that most people don't lose if they use shakes, bars etc. so I've been avoiding them. I'm in induction but I'm using the list of foods on the current website, which I understand is different from the original 1972 book. There's a thread further down that discusses it and has the original list if you're interested.
  • SandysSpot
    SandysSpot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the 2002 DANDR version - that's something you may want to consider. It's still got the low carbs ("net carbs" - subtract fiber counts) which may help you. I've got more energy than I know what to do with. I've started back up with my karate classes, wake up with ease, this is been great so far.

I've only been following the program for about 3-1/2 weeks now. Short time, yes, but long enough for me to feel the benefits of the program and know it's going to be worth it.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Been following DANDR since August 27th, 2013 while using MFP and chronometer for daily logging.
  • courtney123180
    Options
    what is DANDR, or a chronometer lol??? i would love to see the thread you are referencing to see how to do the old atkins. thanks so much everyone!!
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Check out this website - she has kept the weight off and recommends the older version of the book
    http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    what is DANDR, or a chronometer lol??? i would love to see the thread you are referencing to see how to do the old atkins. thanks so much everyone!!

DANDR = Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution
  • mari0605
    Options
    In his 2002 book - Dr Atkins is ok with you using the bars and shakes as meal replacement BUT he even says to limit them. I only drink the shake 3-4 times a week for either breakfast or dinner (and only 1 a day). This is because people could stall their weigh loss - I know some ppl think I'm crazy but this is why I weigh myself everyday and log everything because if I do stall or gain I will kind of know what caused it and change.

I also log to make sure I don't go over my net carbs which I am still keeping at 20 for a while longer. I will continue induction until I at least get to 1/2 of my goal weight then bump it up to 30 net carbs until I hit my goal weight.

I am on my 4th week; lost 10 lbs the first 3 weeks. I'm averaging 2 lbs a week now. Only 42 more lbs to go :)
  • mari0605
    Options
    I'm trying Atkins for the first time (I'm only on Day 9), but after perusing the boards, I've noticed that most people don't lose if they use shakes, bars etc. so I've been avoiding them. I'm in induction but I'm using the list of foods on the current website, which I understand is different from the original 1972 book. There's a thread further down that discusses it and has the original list if you're interested.

Sorry...I meant to quote this comment:

In his 2002 book - Dr Atkins is ok with you using the bars and shakes as meal replacement BUT he even says to limit them. I only drink the shake 3-4 times a week for either breakfast or dinner (and only 1 a day). This is because people could stall their weigh loss - I know some ppl think I'm crazy but this is why I weigh myself everyday and log everything because if I do stall or gain I will kind of know what caused it and change.

I also log to make sure I don't go over my net carbs which I am still keeping at 20 for a while longer. I will continue induction until I at least get to 1/2 of my goal weight then bump it up to 30 net carbs until I hit my goal weight.

I am on my 4th week; lost 10 lbs the first 3 weeks. I'm averaging 2 lbs a week now. Only 42 more lbs to go :)
  • geeohm
    geeohm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been on Atkins since February. The initial carb detox was hard, but ever since, I feel GREAT.

All this time I have not been using the bars and shakes. But, I was frustrated with a long stall, and tired of cooking breakfast, but I didn't want to give up. So, I bought some meal bars to at least make our mornings easier. I never expected it, but the bars actually seemed to help me break through the stall. Win / win! I get easier mornings and continued weight loss. Yay!

The other thing that helps is all the supplements that they recommend in the book. I definitely recommend the L-Carnitine and CoQ10 combo, with a multi-vitamin designed for low-carbers. The L-carnitine and CoQ10 helps to mobilize fat! I can tell a difference when I don't take it. There is a multi-vitamin that is the same or better than the old Atkins version, which is no longer available. Just google low carb multi vitamin. That's where I ordered all my supplements.
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole foods if you can and avoid "frankenfoods" like the shakes and bars! I stay away from the replacement low carb bread, pancakes etc!! I will overeat everything so for me it was just easier to make a plan to stick to whole foods and avoid anything processed. It's a change in my way of eating and way of life.....I've been fat forever and I have been in regular sizes since last year. This is my second time around with Atkins and I plan to stick with it...this time with a focus on maintenance!!

*MFP calorie calculations are too high for my metabolism based on the recommendation I would gain weight.
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole foods if you can and avoid "frankenfoods" like the shakes and bars! I stay away from the replacement low carb bread, pancakes etc!! I will overeat everything so for me it was just easier to make a plan to stick to whole foods and avoid anything processed. It's a change in my way of eating and way of life.....I've been fat forever and I have been in regular sizes since last year. This is my second time around with Atkins and I plan to stick with it...this time with a focus on maintenance!!
  • montanem
    Options
    Hi! I have been on Atkins since Sunday! It took me until Wednesday to get into ketosis (but I messed up the very first day out the gate and had a beer at a friend's football party- so that was my fault). At any rate my dad lost 180lbs with it when I was a kid and he has kept most of it off (he goes up and down 50lbs, but he's never gotten back up to his starting weight). For myself I was diagnosed with a hormone disorder/tumor that causes me to retain and gain excess weight. In conjunction with my new meds I decided to do atkins and I am finally losing weight (after a year of low calorie/healthy and hard exercise and GAINING). So anyways after that explanation here's what I have to say about this diet and the use of the "bars" and other diet food. Look at the ingredients! I was just at the store and I checked out all of the bars/shakes. I decided the shakes are probably ok (only 4-6 carbs before subtracting the other stuff), the bars I decided to hold off on until I am further along in the diet. I also ONLY bought the shakes because I am a graduate student and a lecturer so I can't always make food or am stuck on campus longer than I plan sometimes and don't have a lot of options once I do get hungry (campus/college student food = pizza, cup of noodle, fries, vending machine junk). So they are a last minute option. As for the Atkins frozen meals- WAY too many carbs for the first part of the diet. Really the bars and the frozen meals and the desserts seem to be better fit to the second and third phases of this lifestyle- I think induction is meant to be primarily fresh/prepared foods (as much of a pain as it is).
  • courtney123180
    Options
    my only issue is that with any diet/healthy eating lifestyle is that i don't like many fruits or veggies, and the ones i do like it seems i have to eat them allllllllll the dang time so it gets boring. i really don't like onions, don't care much for tomatoes or cucumbers, nor broccoli, asparagus, or brussell sprouts---i just feel like its always a challenge to eat healthy since I've been such a picky eater.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am re-dedicating myself to the Atkins program!!!!

20 carbs...too low...up to 60!!!!

Fat is good. Fat does not put weight on you carbs do!!!

from your description of your food likes and dislikes...you seem like a candidate for Atkins.

add me as a friend! Lisa aka Hiawathaperez
  • ssjones999
    ssjones999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Been on 2002 Atkins since Monday. Doing the induction of only 20 carbs. Today is the start of day 5 and down 3lbs. Going to stick with it. It's been difficult to wrap my head around eating so much fat, but it is working.
  • becomingfitish
    becomingfitish Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too would like to have some support with the old way of doing Atkins. I looked on their website for their meal plan and it was filled with Atkins products. Super disappointing. Does anyone have their food dairy open for some induction meal ideas? I would greatly appreciate it!
  • ssjones999
    ssjones999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I too would like to have some support with the old way of doing Atkins. I looked on their website for their meal plan and it was filled with Atkins products. Super disappointing. Does anyone have their food dairy open for some induction meal ideas? I would greatly appreciate it!

IF you have FB, there is a great group that supports 2002 version and real food.