Life expectancy and healthy life

Options
I have read many stuffs about reduced life expectancy in diabetics. Are those stats related to poorly controlled diabetes? I am very much worried. I am very young and type 2 diabetic and I am doing my best to have a good control. Just worried about complications. Are these complications inevitable?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is a progressive disease.

I honestly don't know if complications are inevitable. I'm not young (+50), I do everything I can to try to keep my blood glucose levels under control. Diet and exercise are important for controlling bgl. You can't live your life fearing the long term effects of diabetes. That's no way to live. That said, you shouldn't ignore it either. There's nothing wrong with a little bit of fear, it can be a positive force for change. Too much fear can be consuming and counter productive.

Educate yourself about diabetes. Make the necessary lifestyle adjustments. Enjoy life.
  • Bellyemperor
    Options
    What do you mean by progressive disease?
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-management/art-20045803?pg=1

Here is an article about some things that you can do to help avoid complications.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    The American Diabetes Association has good information on the risks of potential complications with diabetes, and also research that shows with good blood sugar management the risk of these complications is decreased. Check out http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ It's great that you're being proactive and taking care of yourself. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Are there any stats about life expectancy that could be reliable?

Thx
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Remember that medical outcomes are probability based. Any life expectancy or complication likelihood stats quoted would be based on data of populations of people and have little usefulness in predictions about an individual. If someone said you had a 60/40 chance of something bad happening to you, does that actually help you know whether or not it will happen?

No. It doesn't. It will either happen, or it won't.

If whether or not you get a complication is similar to someone who's blindfolded throwing darts at your dartboard.. Diabetes is actively trying to make larger complication "spots" on your board. Your job is to paint over as much of those spots as you can by good management with medical intervention, diet and exercise.

My current understanding, is you can make many, if not all of those spots quite small.

But the fact remains. It's possible for the dart thrower to sometimes get "lucky".

Worrying doesn't help. Making your "target spots" smaller does. Enjoying yourself and enjoying what you CAN do to promote your health, that's where it's at.

Oh, and stick around here. There's alotta smart people here who have years of experience who can help.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Wow! I like how DenDweller put it! My two cents - do what you can, control what you can control, and don't live in fear of the rest. I believe that's what DenDweller says. You do ALL you can do to live a healthy life. But don't sweat the future. Seriously, worrying about what may or may not happen in the future does no good and can cause other health issues.

I was worried over my weight and diabetes (things I can control) but then found out I had a congenital malformation of my heart (I have no control) and had to have open heart surgery. Totally different health issues. I have lost down to a normal weight and have tight control on my diabetes today-again things I can control. But the heart repair was not sufficient so there will be a need in the near future for a second surgery - I can't control this. But I'm not going to worry about ANY of it because life is good and I want to enjoy every minute.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I suppose with total disregard for diet and neglecting treatment, yes, a shorter life expectancy can be expected. The big thing is to not get to that point.

Bellyemporer, I can feel the fear in your posts. We all have those fears. I guess the only advice I can offer is the healthier you get, the more you control your diabetes (and not let it control you), the fewer of these thoughts you will have.

I used to have wicked bad anxiety attacks over having a heart attack or dying. I actually sought counseling to help me with this. Now days, the more I exercise and the better my numbers get, the less I have these feelings. Everytime I exercise, I know my heart is pumping with rich blood and providing fresh oxygen to my organs and making my heart stronger. Everytime I test with good numbers, I am beating diabetes. That's how I see it now. I'm going to live a long healthy life.
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all good and wise words!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It looks like I'm the only one confident in my ability to have a long & healthy life, barring getting hit by a bus :laugh:

I also am free of diabetic complications & plan to do all I can to maintain.

My mom's a nurse & she loooooves to talk to older people. She's particularly fascinated with octogenarians who have been living with T2D since their early 20-30's. She likes to chat them up while taking a thorough history during appointments.

She always asks them how they kept so healthy for so long (as in how are they managing their T2D with either minimal meds or none at all). She defines healthy as walking without assistance, keeping well, active, none to little neuropathy, etc. Basically, no diabetic complications.

They all say the same thing. They kept their blood sugars as close to normal as possible & avoided sugar & starch.

She tells me about them ALL. THE. TIME. :huh: Right down to the pretty pin 'so & so' came in wearing today, & the lavender hat with matching shoes & scarf, etc. :laugh:

Just before I was diagnosed, it was Feb in NY & I slipped on some ice in the wee early morning & skinned my knee.

3 weeks after the incident, I had an event to go to & was wondering why the hell I still had the stupid scab & it didn't appear to have any hopes of loosening up to fall off :angry: really slow granulation bed development -__- I wore my cute dress that night, complete with skinned knee showing.

Shortly after that, I was diagnosed & had all the same questions, the exact thought that popped into my head was 'so THIS is how it's gonna happen, eh?':frown: Incidentally, once I got my sugars under control, cuts granulate & heal up within 2-3 days.

These things do not happen when blood sugar is of normal levels.

Even though you are diabetic, you have the RIGHT to normal blood sugars.

bloodsugar101.com helped me to understand.

Good luck people, you are in complete control of your T2D if you choose to be :drinker:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in my early 30s although my dr. suspects I was actually diabetic in my late 20s. I am now 49. I have had decent to very good control during this time. I had some retinal damage when I was first diagnosed but it has repaired itself. I take lots of meds, exercise and eat decently. Besides some very mild neuropathy in my feet I am fine. I have known T2s that are my age and have not been diabetic as long who have severe complications. Educate yourself (I also like Bloodsugar101) and take good care of yourself and it is possible to live for a long time with minimal complications.Will I live as long as I would have? Who knows but I can sure try to live out my life without too many problems.

I believe I deserve to have normal blood glucose readings. I don't see drugs as a failure. My body has failed me, I didn't. I will probably be on insulin in the next few years. My pancreas is making little insulin at this point. That is not my fault. So I control what I can and do the best that I can and believe this will help me live a better life.