Knee Compression Sleeves?

Options
ksy1969
ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
OK, I have been watching a lot of YouTube vids trying to perfect my squat and deadlifts. Basically trying get different perspectives on the how to properly do the lifts. I have noticed a common theme lately that I hadn't caught before. The majority of lifters in those vides are wearing compression sleeves on their knees. I have tried doing a little research on them but I am not finding a lot about them but figure there must be something to them.

The reason I am asking is because I occasionally have issues with my knees. I have seen comments about them reducing risk of knee injury and even helping with existing injuries. I have also seen claims that people are able to safely lift more while wearing them.

What is everyone's thoughts on these? Are they worth the investment?

Replies

• ksy1969
    Options
    ??
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I run and where I live has lots of hills that aggravate my right knee and cause it to hurt for a couple of days after my run. I tried a knee brace from Walgreens but it kept sliding down (their "one size fits all doesn't really "fit all" and the Velcro to keep it in place isn't long nor sturdy enough to keep it in place). I recently purchased a McDavid knee sleeve with open patella support. I've been wearing it when I run and do my walks for about a week and I'm very happy with it. You can get them at Academy and try them on in the store to find the best support level and size for you before you buy it. They come in different levels of support (1-3) and sizes. My sleeve is a level 2 (moderate support). The level 3s are actual braces and provide the highest support.

Congratulations on your weight loss, by the way! That's awesome!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, they aren't going to help your technique any but they can for sure help reduce pain/injury. Try some Rehbands, they are really nice, comfortable and durable. I don't have any knee problems, I use them more for preventive measures than anything. But lots of people swear by them.
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A warm joint is potentially a healthy joint. They definitely make squatting feel nicer, however as DopeItUp says they aren't going to help your technique if that's the cause of the problems.

Most popular brands are Rehband and SBD. I have SBD, and I've also used generic blue 'drugstore' types, and StrenghShop own brand. The blue ones lasted 30 mins and the Strengthshop ones about 2 months. The SBD's whilst significantly more expensive look new still after 6 months of use, 4 times a week. It's that whole buy cheap, buy twice thing. In this case it holds true.

If you do more research you may find advice to get a size small to help rebound out of the bottom. Ignore this 'advice'! You'll just make the sleeves harder to get on and off and maybe end up with calf tendinitis.

If you ever plan on competing in powerlifting it may be worthwhile checking any purchases are legal in any federation you choose to pursue so that doesn't have an impact down the line. If you don't plan on competing you should think about it, it's a lot of fun and a great motivation to continue getting better at the Big 3.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Everything seems to work better when it's toasty warm, IMHO. I wear Rehbnd knee sleeves and they keep my knees toasty. I wear them for running and lifting. I got a size med when the chart says large and they fit perfect after a year of stretching. I also wear elbow sleeves, a compression shirt and compression pants to keep everything warm. Has made a huge difference in recovery. Don't think it's made any difference while lifting.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    http://store.oddehaugen.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=ks-5&404;http://store.oddehaugen.com:80/product-p/ks-5.htm?Click=6

Those are the ones I use. I also have the elbow sleeves. They help a lot and the price is for a pair, not a single like the rebrands.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I had a knee sleeve, but felt it was overkill. I replaced it with a belt that fits right below my knee and has a reinforced front, which provides support and I can wear it even when I'm just walking around. I forget the brand, but I got it at Walgreens.
  • ksy1969
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. They are definetly helpful.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    SBD's dude. The best.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    EliteFTS Heavy knee sleeves. i have them and use them every squat and deadlift session. had them for almost a year and still look new. got mine from www.elitefts.com for 25.00 shipped for the pair. i will say if you are looking for something to squat and deadlift in and thats it, they are the best. if you are looking for something comfortable, that you can maybe run or walk in, then not so much, lol....
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Did you get the super heavy duty or the heavy duty?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    EliteFTS Heavy knee sleeves. i have them and use them every squat and deadlift session. had them for almost a year and still look new. got mine from www.elitefts.com for 25.00 shipped for the pair. i will say if you are looking for something to squat and deadlift in and thats it, they are the best. if you are looking for something comfortable, that you can maybe run or walk in, then not so much, lol....

I take them off for my deadlifts as the bar catches on them.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options

just the heavies... they are fun enough to get on all the way, lol.... i now also have the super heavy wraps. i plan on using them at my meet in november, but i have played around with them a couple times at the gym just to see how they feel.

i never have any issues with the bar catching on my sleeves on deadlifts.

as for sizing, straight from elitefts, you measure the thickest part of your calf, then look for the TOP size in their chart that is the closest to your number. these things are meant to be tight, so when you get your number, if you are in between sizes, i would suggest going to the next size up so you can keep growing into them. for example i ordered a 2xl but was a bit over the 2xl top size and should have went with a 3xl, but i wanted them a bit tighter..... they are so tight now that they cut the circulation off to my lower leg.

http://www.elitefts.com/knee-sleeve-size-chart.jpg <---- here is a link to the size chart.
  • tomcornhole
    Options

just the heavies... they are fun enough to get on all the way, lol.... i now also have the super heavy wraps. i plan on using them at my meet in november, but i have played around with them a couple times at the gym just to see how they feel.

i never have any issues with the bar catching on my sleeves on deadlifts.

as for sizing, straight from elitefts, you measure the thickest part of your calf, then look for the TOP size in their chart that is the closest to your number. these things are meant to be tight, so when you get your number, if you are in between sizes, i would suggest going to the next size up so you can keep growing into them. for example i ordered a 2xl but was a bit over the 2xl top size and should have went with a 3xl, but i wanted them a bit tighter..... they are so tight now that they cut the circulation off to my lower leg.

http://www.elitefts.com/knee-sleeve-size-chart.jpg <---- here is a link to the size chart.

I have freakishly large calves (16") and that puts me in the 4XL size and that seems like I would be swimming in a 4XL. If I decide to get them, I may have to make the 1+15 hike up there and try them on in person. I'm very fortunate to live within 90 miles of Elite and Rogue. Or very unfortunate depending if you ask my brain or my wallet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Echo'ing the fact that they keep your joints warmer therefore decrease injury risk.

One of the best sleeves imo for day to day use are the Rehbands. They do not add anything to what you can squat. They are sized to easily get them on.

SBDs are excellent and are competition legal for RAW divisions (or at least for USAPL which is usually very strict) - they do add a little imo but are such a b!tch to get on, I only use at meets.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I take them off for my deadlifts as the bar catches on them.

Me too - on the descent. I never wear them when pulling.