May 2015 baby mommas :)

Any other May mommies out there? Just found out I'm pregnant about a week ago (due ~May18th). This will be my first. I'm 33, married, grad student.

Over the last two months I've lost 10# using a semi-LCHF diet and exercise, but since finding out the news last week I've switched into maintenance mode. Still exercising everyday, which feels great. No morning sickness yet, but I'm only 5 weeks along.

Going into maintenance mode means I'm eating about 300 calories more per day than I have been (woohoo!), but the odd thing is in spite of my extra food I'm already feeling hungrier than usual! Like, waking up in the middle of the night hungry! I'm guessing it's the hormones. I'm trying to listen to my body, but I'm also trying to moderate my food consumption -- I am in the "overweight" range so I'd really, really, really like to aim for under 20 lbs weight gain. We shall see. :)

Replies

• jaybreech213
    jaybreech213 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello!! I am due in may!! this will be my 5th! I just had a baby on Christmas day of 2013 so this is very unplanned and a huge surprise. I have been trying to lose the last of my 6 lbs of pregnancy and it has been so hard. Now that i am pregnant I am going to continue working out, eating clean and since I am not drinking wine I am sure I will easily (hopefully) not gain. I plan on doing circuit workout 5 days a week and try and quickly walk for at least 6 days a week and hopefully two of those days can be hills. I want to be in better shape after this baby leaves my body so I will get in shape quicker!! Congrats to you!!!
  • simply_sarah_
    simply_sarah_ Posts: 35 Member
    Yay, another May mom! And wow, #5! You go girl! I am the 4th of 5 myself. :)

Have you been active for all of your pregnancies? I also want to stay in fairly good shape so that after my pregnancy I can get back to where I left off. I'm just glad that I've been trying to lose weight for 2 months since that has helped me get back in the habit of working out daily. I really, really want to keep that up. But I don't want to jeopardize the health of my little one. Sometimes I've been nervous during my jogs this week, I'm trying not to push myself too hard. I'm just hoping that this little bug is well embedded in my uterus or however it works! :)

I know nothing about pregnancy! :)
  • I'm a may mom, due may 10th. I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and have been running 35 miles per week - I used to run 40-45. i have three half marathons planned. I also spin and such. The ACOG guidelines say 75% of max HR is where you should keep your heart rate, so, thats what I do (175 for me). I set my watch to alert me when I am going over 175. What is most surprising to me is how much more quickly my HR goes up now that I am pregnant. i'm hungry but struggle to get calories in because I am also incredibly nauseous, and carbs make me even more nauseous. I'm 5'4" and my weight fluctuates between 120-123.
  • simply_sarah_
    Wow, 35 miles per week -- way to go! Good luck with the morning sickness. :/
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Due may 25 with hopefully what will be take home baby #3 . had miscarriage in april and one 7 years ago between my 2 daughters. so far ive missed quite a bit of gym time due to being exhausted already my average sleep was like 6 hours a night find I now need 8 to 9. only nauseous if I go to long with out eating so far but still early I didn't get to the throwing up with my oldest till week 7.
  • bananas04
    bananas04 Posts: 102 Member
    Hey! I'm due in May somewhere between the 4th (my birthday!) and the 12th. TBD at my first appointment in October. This is our first :-) I lost 30 lbs over the last year and was almost to my goal but switched to maintenance once I found out two weeks ago. Trying to keep my activity level up but lately I've been so nauseous and exhausted all I want to do is lay on the couch with some carbs :-( Hoping to feel better soon.
  • simply_sarah_
    Yay, more May mommas!

Lovebig - congrats and happy thoughts for #3. :) I am also starting to sleep 8-9 hours! Will that last the whole pregnancy I wonder...?

Bananas - I have a May birthday too (May 8th)! I'm hitting 6 weeks tomorrow so I'm expecting morning sickness to kick in sometime soon. Any tips for dealing with the nausea?
  • elly_bean83
    elly_bean83 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi ladies!
    I am also due around May 4th - it seems as though I got pregnant as soon as I stopped taking the pill. Will have to wait for first ultrasound to get a more accurate date. Looking forward to following everyone's stories! :)
  • simply_sarah_
    Welcome, and congrats!! :)
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    For nausua try peppermint or ginger both help. with my 5 year old I also used sea bands that you can buy at any drug store. I hope the needing extra sleep lets up around the second trimester I feel like iam not getting anything done at home with a full work schedule and needing extra sleep.
  • simply_sarah_
    I've got my peppermint and ginger teas on hand, ready to go. I bought some crackers the other day, and I have some ginger mints in my bag at all times.

But 6 weeks 2 days, still no nausea. I'm actually getting more nervous, like maybe I'm not feeling anything because something is wrong with my pregnancy. Or maybe all of a sudden it's going to hit me like a ton of bricks -- perhaps at week 7. Or worse -- that it won't hit me until week 9, when I'll be traveling abroad in Europe with a girlfriend. Ack!

On the plus side, meanwhile I'm trying to take advantage of a full appetite and [usually] enough energy to exercise as long as I can...
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Simply_sarah - I'm not a May 2015 momma - due in December - but wanted to say, I had absolutely no nausea whatsoever and have had a healthy pregnancy right up to this point - touch wood! So, don't worry that a lack of nausea means problems - it may just put you in that blessed category of women who don't get it!!
  • simply_sarah_
    Aw, thanks janetay! Maybe I'll be lucky...I just never expected I would be because I have terrible cramps with my periods, lol. And congrats lady -- just a few more months to go! So excited for you! :)
  • ajpcv
    ajpcv Posts: 4 Member
    Hello all,

Due right at the end of May. My hubby knocked me up as soon as my IUD came out. I'm 33 and this is our first. I wasn't trying to loose weight, I joined MFP a while ago just to monitor what I eat. Haven't been to the gym in months, but I'm a night nurse so my schedule is all kinds of crazy (and before MFP I ate like crap too!) I want to start up again though, I used to try and swim 3 days a week. Anyone else swim? I figure it'll be easy to maintain as my body changes. Anyone have problems at the gym, like should I bring a permission slip from my doctor?
  • taraleen
    taraleen Posts: 20 Member
    Hi ladies, and congratulations! I am also due in May - the 8th. My first appt isn't until the 12th of October so it still doesn't feel real to me yet. This is my second pregnancy but I'm just as nervous this time around. I don't plan on finding out the gender for this one..... and I'm so excited about this.
  • simply_sarah_
    Hey ladies, welcome and congrats!

ajpcv, I haven't been swimming yet but I am thinking of swimming and/or water aerobics later in my pregnancy...for now I'm jogging/biking as long as I can. My doctor said I can continue doing the same level of exercise that I was doing when I got pregnant, so... but I still feel nervous about it sometimes!

Hey taraleen, yeah, I don't see the doctor until after my 10th week either, and I haven't had any morning sickness yet so it doesn't feel too real for me either!
  • mkivanoff
    mkivanoff Posts: 7 Member
    Congrats all! I am 38 and about 6 weeks along now with my first, due 5/23/15. I've lost about 27 lbs prior to finding out I was pregnant and had about 25 more to go. I haven't changed my settings yet mainly because I can hardly manage to make myself eat the calorie goal now! I am not throwing up (yet) but I have random, low grade nausea and no appetite at all. going to the Dr for ultrasound on 10/13 so I will ask him then about weight gain/etc.
  • simply_sarah_
    mkivanoff - congrats on the weight loss, and the pregnancy!! We're due around the same time. Is this your first pregnancy? (It's mine, so I have no idea what to expect!)
  • mkivanoff
    mkivanoff Posts: 7 Member
    Yup, it is my first. We'd been trying since we got married in 2012 and finally succeeded with some pharmaceutical help! :) I've been torn between wanting to read EVERYTHING and not wanting to read anything so i don't stress out.
  • simply_sarah_
    I feel you on the reading thing. For weeks 3 thru 5 I basically couldn't stop reading everything. And then I finally started to get burned out. And then somehow I managed to trick my husband into reading a pregnancy book (Bumpology) and that's been a nice solution. :)