Week 5 Day 3 and beyond

Options
2»

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I finished W6 D2 today, it was two 10 minute segments with a three minute walk in between. The Zen Labs free version showed "jog 1 mile for 10 minutes" I jogged 10 minutes but only made it 3/4 of a mile on the first leg and a little over 3/4 of a mile on the second. I was mad at myself for not going the distance so I walked the cool down and then ran 8 minutes afterwards thinking I needed to keep working on my endurance. I did a total distance of 3 1/2 miles between walks and runs, mostly running.

My runner friend said I'm not running fast enough to cover the distance so I need to redo W6 D1 which is smaller runs to build my speed up but everything I read recommends running slower and running the whole time versus faster and not finishing. I'm going to redo this day on Friday and see if I can bump up the speed to hit the mile marks for both legs.

I'm curious what other runners have experienced. Any thoughts on this are appreciated :happy:

Sláinte! :drinker:

My advice do not listen to your friend, you need to keep doing the time, speed will come with more distance. Your friend is encouraging you to get an injury with all the best intentions in the world. They are talking about doing speed work when you have not got a good base endurance, your body will probably rebel and you will probably end up having time off (injury). I still have not done a 5k in under 30 mins, to be fair I have not tried for 4 weeks, the last time I missed by 22 secs due to my gps saying I was finished 100m short. At the end of c25k 5k 34m25s 3 weeks later having moved to c210k my 5k moved to 30m22s. The distances in c25k were there to ensure that people with good endurance also got a workout. Stick to the times and you will be fine. The speed will come as you do more distance. You will not do a 5k at the end but c25k sounds a lot better than c230mins :smile: . YMMV.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I finished W6 D2 today, it was two 10 minute segments with a three minute walk in between. The Zen Labs free version showed "jog 1 mile for 10 minutes" I jogged 10 minutes but only made it 3/4 of a mile on the first leg and a little over 3/4 of a mile on the second. I was mad at myself for not going the distance so I walked the cool down and then ran 8 minutes afterwards thinking I needed to keep working on my endurance. I did a total distance of 3 1/2 miles between walks and runs, mostly running.

My runner friend said I'm not running fast enough to cover the distance so I need to redo W6 D1 which is smaller runs to build my speed up but everything I read recommends running slower and running the whole time versus faster and not finishing. I'm going to redo this day on Friday and see if I can bump up the speed to hit the mile marks for both legs.

I'm curious what other runners have experienced. Any thoughts on this are appreciated :happy:

My advice do not listen to your friend, you need to keep doing the time, speed will come with more distance. Your friend is encouraging you to get an injury with all the best intentions in the world. They are talking about doing speed work when you have not got a good base endurance, your body will probably rebel and you will probably end up having time off (injury). I still have not done a 5k in under 30 mins, to be fair I have not tried for 4 weeks, the last time I missed by 22 secs due to my gps saying I was finished 100m short. At the end of c25k 5k 34m25s 3 weeks later having moved to c210k my 5k moved to 30m22s. The distances in c25k were there to ensure that people with good endurance also got a workout. Stick to the times and you will be fine. The speed will come as you do more distance. You will not do a 5k at the end but c25k sounds a lot better than c230mins :smile: . YMMV.

+1 this. So much this. Please don't beat yourself up for not going fast enough. That's totally not what C25K is about. It's about finishing the workout, not doing it within a specified time.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insights!!! I redid W6 D3 today and felt much better, ran much better. I did the 3/4 mile in the first 10 minute leg and the full mile in the 2nd. I'm going to redo week 6 so I have a good base for week 7.

My 5k is in 29 days so I feel good I will keep building my endurance to be able to run the whole 5k. My goal is to finish the distance not to get hung up on how fast I do it.

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insights!!! I redid W6 D3 today and felt much better, ran much better. I did the 3/4 mile in the first 10 minute leg and the full mile in the 2nd. I'm going to redo week 6 so I have a good base for week 7.

My 5k is in 29 days so I feel good I will keep building my endurance to be able to run the whole 5k. My goal is to finish the distance not to get hung up on how fast I do it.

Really do not worry about it, I finished c25k 5 August, carried on with c210k and finished that today and did 10k in 1:01:42 and a 5K in 29:52. At the end of c25k I was a 34:25 runner.

Have fun, embrace and enjoy the journey