Pitted Black Olives: Miniture Fat Bombs?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I bought some Mario Large Pitted Black Olives. I have always loved canned olives. In my pre-LCHF days, I would eat a whole can for a snack.

Anyway, since I am now reading all the labels, here is what the can says:

Serving size: 4 olives
Servings per container: about 11
Calories: 30
Calories from fat: 30

Total fat: 3g
Carb: 0g :noway:
Protein: 0

Is that right? How can a plant be 0 carbs???

If this is true, wouldn't these olives be great fat bombs? :happy: LOL!

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are 9 calories in a fat gram.
    There are 4 calories in a protein gram.
    There are 4 calories in a carbohydrate gram.

30 calories
    3 gm fat = 3 x 9 = 27 calories from fat
    3 calories remain, they are likely carb since olives do not have protein (or if they do it is truly negligible)
    4 calories in 1 carb, therefore 0.75 carbs in 4 olives

Dr. Westman's diet basically is Atkins 2002, and he states to limit either green or black olives to 6 per day.

Manufacturers do not have to list carbs if they are less than 1 carb per serving, and they set the serving sizes.
    I check every new product I put on my menus for this phenomenon.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Olives are mostly fat, the healthy mufa fat.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    <<<Dr. Westman's diet basically is Atkins 2002, and he states to limit either green or black olives to 6 per day.>>>

Even at .75 g of carbs, that is extremely low. Why would you limit them to 6? It's a great Fat Bomb. That doesn't make any sense at all.

Unless the doc has a good reason, I'm not limiting my daily intake to 6. I am making lunch containers now with 16 of them for a snack. Which would be 3g of Carbs. I get that many carbs just looking at a donut. :laugh:

Please elaborate why Dr. Westman would limit a food like this?

Dan the Man
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    I'm not sure as no reason is given. But since Westman's diet is essentially Atkins 2002, and Dr. Atkins also said to limit olives. My best guess is because you can easily over-eat olives.
    It's true that 0.75 carbs is low for 4 olives, but a lot of people can't stop at that few.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I'm not sure as no reason is given. But since Westman's diet is essentially Atkins 2002, and Dr. Atkins also said to limit olives. My best guess is because you can easily over-eat olives.
    It's true that 0.75 carbs is low for 4 olives, but a lot of people can't stop at that few.

Oh well, If I ate the WHOLE can, that would only be 8.25g of carbs:ohwell: . That is low in anybody's book. I am taking a small plastic container with 16 olives (4 servings) to lunch, so I do have the ability to stop easily.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    Oh well, If I ate the WHOLE can, that would only be 8.25g of carbs:ohwell: . That is low in anybody's book.
    There was a time in the not-so-distant past when I averaged that number of carbs - a day. So not necessarily 'low' to some.
    I am taking a small plastic container with 16 olives (4 servings) to lunch, so I do have the ability to stop easily.
    Whatever works! :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Great question about why the olives are limited in those plans. They are virtually all fat. I can't see it being the sodium, since both of those diets recommend high amounts of sodium, esp. during induction.

Cheese and cream are also limited on those plans, so who knows.

Maybe there is some component in olives that has been shown in studies or in dieter anecdotes to "stall" weight loss. Seems that is the case with cheese. Or maybe because ketogenic diets tend to be constipating, adding more than 4 oz. cheese a day, would make elimination impossible.

Just don't know, but great question. I quickly googled the question to see what I could find. No explanation.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I say "if you like them, then eat them", who care what any Doctor says. I love olives. I eat Kalamata olives all the time, and usually have them with some feta cheese in a traditional Greek salad. I also love large green Spanish olives. I'll tell you that I usually cannot stop at 6 olives. I will eat as many as I like. I am Italian and my wife is Greek, they are part of my families diet.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    They are my go to snack for keto, but I usually will split the can up and eat cheese with them. Indeed, even if it does have ~8g per container I'd consider it a fat bomb.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Oh, my hubby likes the blue cheese stuffed giant green ones. Low carb friendly.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Love green olives! I keep a jar in the office fridge and have 5-8 with my lunch salad. I can't understand why I used to hate olives when I was younger.... :)
    found this:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/Carbs-In-Olives.htm
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I say "if you like them, then eat them", who care what any Doctor says. I love olives. I eat Kalamata olives all the time, and usually have them with some feta cheese in a traditional Greek salad. I also love large green Spanish olives. I'll tell you that I usually cannot stop at 6 olives. I will eat as many as I like. I am Italian and my wife is Greek, they are part of my families diet.

If I am not mistaken, there is a Mediterranean diet that is very close to the Keto diet. I can't even imagine a Mediterranean without olives!

Dan the Man
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    The suggestion to limit might have to do with the fact that olives are actually a fruit, and as such, even though brined, contain some amount of sugar. At the end of the day, I guess its about how they work with your way of eating, how satisfying they are to you, and where/how you want to spend your carb bank.