Bacon & Bacon Fat?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I make a Green Bean recipe where I dice up a whole package (1 lb) of bacon. In my pre-LCHF days, after frying the bacon, I would drain all the grease off. Now I'm thinking, hmmmm I like bacon fat, I think I won't drain it off, just pour the whole pan bacon & fat into the green beans.

When adding this recipe to MFP, do I have to ADD bacon drippings to the recipe? In other words, are the nutrition labels on the package for bacon cooked and set on paper towels? Or do they include ALL fat in the package (before cooking)?

Please advise...

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I personally take the nutrition data on the package as meaning for the "raw" product unless otherwise stated (since cooking may alter it significantly). I also double check my values at nutritiondata.self.com and/or www.calorieking.com and/or fatsecret.com or sparkpeople.com. I do this to be sure my thought process and values are in sync with reality of both the online product and/or other stated 'generics' of the same type. The USDA generic values will many times be stated as "raw" or "cooked" so that gives me a baseline.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    First, please do not waste paper towels trying to pat dry beautiful bacon of the glistening bacon drippings... :tongue:

I save all my bacon drippings for later use , i.e frying eggs, frying chicken wings etc...

I count the nutrition label for my cooked bacon, however when I use my bacon drippings I count that separately. I figure they do not expect me to eat it raw and they do not expect me to eat the excess drippings, hence I count accordingly. It might not be right, but it is logical in my mind... :blushing:
  • DittoDan
    Options
    First, please do not waste paper towels trying to pat dry beautiful bacon of the glistening bacon drippings... :tongue:

I save all my bacon drippings for later use , i.e frying eggs, frying chicken wings etc...

I count the nutrition label for my cooked bacon, however when I use my bacon drippings I count that separately. I figure they do not expect me to eat it raw and they do not expect me to eat the excess drippings, hence I count accordingly. It might not be right, but it is logical in my mind... :blushing:

Latina,

I got my magnifying glass out and looked at the label (like I should of done in the first place!) :blushing: Sorry everyone. It says, "two strips fried".

So essentially you are correct.

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I also double check my values at nutritiondata.self.com and/or www.calorieking.com and/or fatsecret.com or sparkpeople.com.

You have the best resources! I went to all of them and looked around. I didn't care too much for sparkpeople, but the rest were really good!

Thanks Patch...

Dan the Man
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I make a similar recipe. I cook up the green beans in bacon fat. After cooking I sprinkle on blue cheese and sliced almonds. Super yum!