Craigslist can bite me.

Options
Bukawww
Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
Was supposed to pick up a kick *kitten* deal today (Body Solid power rack w/ lat pull, 250lbs weights, Olympic barbell, incline bench, curl ball $750) - we confirmed on Saturday that I'd pick up on Monday, he said great. Texted him today AFTER I rented the $30 trailer...didn't hear back for 3 hours that he sold it yesterday. Gee, thanks for giving me the opportunity to pick it up first or even just sending me a quick message that someone beat me to it, etc.

Boo.

Now I'll cry my gel-oid, non-lifting self a river while I look for another decent deal.

Replies

• wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That sucks, and was completely rude of the seller. The least he could have done was offer to reimburse you for the trailer rental. Good luck with your continued search...
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me also! What an ***! BUT, I got a way better rack after that. I'm sure you will too!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    That sucks, and was completely rude of the seller. The least he could have done was offer to reimburse you for the trailer rental. Good luck with your continued search...

Guy is a douche but doesn't owe the OP anything.

Get a confirmation before you rent anything.

Lesson learned.
  • Bukawww
    Options
    Lol technically he did confirm that pick up could happen after noon on Monday. I didn't ask him for anything but I know that I would have offered if the tables had been turned. Lesson has been learned. Craigslist can bite me lol.

In any case, I ordered myself a shiny new Powertec cage (yellow!) and have already accumulated a decent starting stash of weight plates/bar. Started cleaning out the garage today, bought paint and have a list of badass quotes to get cut in vinyl stickers. Trying to decide on floor mats: one piece or click together squares. Also keeping a small list of other equipment I'd like to round out my home gym. I have a 30' rope...thinking of adding a heavy bag.

Either way, my 3 older daughters are excited about the gym which is paleo gravy on top of my own lol :)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Lesson learned.

The main forums are that way
    >

Op that does suck. It was a good deal, but not a phenomenal deal. I try to only get annoyed when I miss out on the really good ones. The bar was probably bent anyway. CL is so frustrating sometimes.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Lesson learned.

The main forums are that way
    >

Op that does suck. It was a good deal, but not a phenomenal deal. I try to only get annoyed when I miss out on the really good ones. The bar was probably bent anyway. CL is so frustrating sometimes.

I know where they are. I don't need directions.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't buy things from CL.
  • Bukawww
    Options
    Me neither...never again lol.
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Lesson learned.

I know the guy doesn't owe the OP anything and I'm sorry if my post came across that way. If it were me, I would have felt badly and probably offered the OP something toward the cost. But then, I don't think I'm a douche... :)
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    While I am not a fan of what the seller did, I understand why. Many people on Craigslist will ask sellers to hold things when they are not serious buyers. I have a close friend who did this quite frequently and it irked the hell out of me. For me personally, I offer to put a deposit down on an item if I ask the seller to hold it. Sellers usually consider that binding, and do not consider other offers when they have a deposit.

I've met some really good sellers and some really good people on Craigslist... and I've met some people who had a lot to be desired. I had a similar experience that OP had regarding buying a parts car. I went through all sorts of lengths to get a trailer for the parts car, and the seller stopped taking phone calls and didn't reply to any texts... with NO explanation. While that experience was complete crap as far as I am concerned, I try not to categorize all Craigslist transactions as crap.

Sorry you lost the deal. There is probably a better deal waiting around the corner for you.