I want to start Paleo but I have some concerns..

Options
Hi all. I've read SOME of the info here and its great but its a lot to read..

I got about 90ish pounds to lose.. I've read this is a good option..

Long story short I found out about Paleo on Yahoo, an article about how Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony lost weight on this "diet" (people called it that)

My main concern is having headaches and still being hungry. I'm a carb person.. thats how I get full ,bread or tortillas (I'm Mexican)..

I'm working out 5 to 6 days a week about an hour or so... how much more do I need to eat but still lose weight?

A nutritionist I saw said when people go no carb their body eventually will go into ketosis (sp)...

I heard this type of lifestyle can get expensive.. is that true?

Does anyone know if there is like a 7 day or 14 week "trial" for free that I can download a menu and go from there.. I'm on a budget (college student) so I will try my best to stick with this...

Another thing.. what happens if for example I have a "cheat day"..

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cali,

First thing, right off is you will have to read up on this unless you have someone very close to you to walk you through it. I recommend Primal Blueprint, it is fairly short and deals with every aspect you are concerned about. The writer Mark Sisson is an athlete from days gone bye, but is a very vital man in his 60's, he has a web page called Mark's daily apple where there are meal plans and a ton of information to help you with. I also recommend Jonathan Bailor's Calorie Myth also short and concise and covers all the questions.

You can lose weight doing this but most of us take a slight offense when someone comes asking about this as a short term fix, this is indeed a lifestyle not a 3 month diet plan. I was a carb junky and ate way too many grains but after I started this it was a one way ticket, I am not going back. I do occasionally have a tortilla (corn only) but I have reversed almost all the damage I did eating so badly for over 50 years. I do not exercise much more than 30 minutes a week and am getting in shape rather fast without killing myself or causing harm to myself. All this is just relearning bad behavior, it takes some patience and some time but it is doable.

Feel free to add me to your friends list if you need some more.
  • cali1luv87
    Options
    Hi. I apologize if I offended anyone on here. I don't really know much about this that's why my questions may have sounded weird.

I will check the info out. Thanks for the reply! :smile:
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I doubt you offended anyone, so many people out there have a limited knowledge of this lifestyle so they dole out misinformation (not always on purpose). It sounded like you were fresh at looking into this so I was simply cautioning you. This lifestyle will allow you to loose weight but it will mainly get you healthy, so definitely look at it and consider what it is going to take. We are here to support you no problem.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It gets expensive if you get bogged down in "needing" all organic and grass fed, etc. While that is better for your health it isn't necessary to follow this way of life. We rarely buy grass fed because we are on a budget, but we are all still far healthier than we were when we ate more grains.

It isn't necessary to go "no carb" or even "low carb" if your activity level supports consumption of a little bit more. Getting some starch from good sources like plantain, potaoes or winter squash can help fuel your workouts and keep you from getting a headache. Some people just grit through the transition period and drop lower carb and stay there. I personally didn't, I cut back stayed at that level for a while and then cut back again. It helped avoid that crappy feeling you get when you drastically cut carbs all at once. I still lost a considerable amount of weight in a short time (50 pounds in 6 months, with a thyroid condition and insulin resistance)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo for over 2 years. I started out with a ketogenic version and now am very low carb. I may still be ketogenic from time to time, but I don't check and I do well with this lifestyle as sugar and starch in larger amounts leads to depression, anxiety, craving, bingeing and fat gain. Not everyone need be as low in carbs as I. For many people just eating Paleo foods, monitoring sugar, and being under 100 grams may be great, depends on each person.

Actually I never got full on huge amounts of processed grain products which is how I got so obese. I'm pretty strict with my Paleo lifestyle but the only thing I NEVER eat, never, is wheat. I also have ethical issues with most big name food manufacturers so if I buy that food I know I'm casting a vote for disease, corruption, lies, etc. Because they are using our money to fight having to label their foods openly.

Why would you be eating NO carbs? Vegetables are carbs! I eat lots of vegetables. No I don't "need" many carbs but there's no reason to avoid vegetables, in fact, that's probably detrimental. Well, I live with Inuit and it wasn't detrimental for them but it wasn't completely by choice and they ate lots of animal parts that people don't usually eat enough of now unfortunately. i mean organ meat and fat and it was often fermented as well.

I do not recommend going into this lifestyle as another temporary "diet". I don't see the value of a "cheat day" and I think that's the wrong approach. This lifestyle is awesome as a PERMANENT change; not so effective for people who are constantly on and off. I would recommend trying a Paleo lifestyle strictly for at least a month. If you "cheat" you won't feel the full benefits.

Also, this lifestyle does NOT need to be more expensive. It may be more challenging if you are in college just because of food storage and preparation issues. However, I actually saved money when I started Paleo. My food items are more expensive but I eat so much less! I have kept track of my spending so it's there black and white. Now, I've upped the ante and buy all grass fed meat and special items such as Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil/high vitamin butter oil which is needed to help with my child's cavities- and it's just beneficial over all.

I've spent a lot this year with a new freezer and stocking it full of meat but over the next year my spending will drop back down. I can afford to buy what I want for the most part but I spend upwards of $1200-1500 a month and I could certainly do it cheaper if I tried hard. I live in the Arctic and spend a lot to fly things in. Trust me, if you try and are careful you can eat well and save money. Processed foods are expensive when you consider all the factors: over-eating, health problems, obesity, depression, etc.

Are there farmers markets where you live? Organic food co-ops? Start researching better options. It took me 2 years to find a grass fed/free range meat supplier that would ship to the Noth (and then I arrange to fly it the rest of the way) but it finally happened and it was worth the effort.

Yes, you may have headaches and feel like crap for a week or two, but then you will feel AMAZING afterwards. It sure beats a lifetime of sick and dying imo. Healthy food IS delicious btw.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The others have said a lot already, so I'll just touch on the headache part --

I used to get headaches on a daily basis. I get migraines and what are known as cluster headaches (which sometimes seem like migraines, but things like moving actually help instead of making things worse; and they happen in cyclical periods). Well, I used to get them.

Since going Primal, I get headaches far, far less often, even if I haven't eating most of the day. I think it's been nearly a week since I had a headache that warranted Ibuprofen, and before that, I don't remember when the last time I needed meds were. That's where I'm at after coming from 800mg of Ibuprofen every day, sometimes more, just to keep a headache from putting me down for the count.

As I mentioned, I can even now go most of the day without food with few ill effects (I still function best eating three meals a day, even if one is small, but I'm still fine if I skip a meal). For example, we went to the zoo last week for a company thing, and we got meal vouchers for select foods at different stands, but there weren't really any foods available that I could eat, in the areas that we went to. As a result, I skipped lunch that day. I'd had breakfast (eggs, scrambled in butter), so while I was somewhat hungry, and could have ate, it wasn't urgent, and I wasn't getting a headache or anything like that. That's the power of not relying on carbs (particularly simple carbs) as the primary source of fuel.

Oftentimes, the headaches come from the glucose/insulin roller coaster. It takes a little bit to get off of that, but once you do, life gets so much better when it comes to food, in so many different ways (sometimes even ones you don't expect).

As for cheat days, I don't specifically plan for them, though I do follow the "80/20 rule" (which is really a bit of a misnomer at this point) -- strive for 100%, but falling short isn't the end of the world. In other words, I'll take the Primal food pretty much whenever given the option, but I'm not going to freak out if the chili has beans in it (I don't like beans, anyway, and will generally eat around them, but it's not the end of the world if I eat a few), or won't beat myself up over a piece of cake at my son's birthday party or some crust from a pie or cheesecake or whatever at Christmas, nor will I freak out at the restaurant mayo because it's made with soybean oil. At this point, I've learned what my "can't control myself" trigger foods are, and what my other tolerances are (ie - I can have that piece of cake that one day, but if I do something like that multiple days in a row, my eczema will come back and it will take me upwards of a month of perfect eating to clear it up again).

For some people, it may be easier at first to plan "cheat" days or meals, but in my opinion/experience, the longer you stay as compliant as possible, the less worth it you realize the cheat days are, and the less you want them, anyway. I used to be able to polish off an entire row of Oreos in the big package without batting an eye (or a sleeve of Thin Mints...or entire box of Tagalongs). Now? I have very little interest in any of those, and if I do decide to eat them, I'm generally satisfied at one or two (except Tagalongs, I still can't get enough of them, because peanut butter and chocolate are my kryptonite), but I also notice myself often feeling compelled to eat more, even though I don't actually really want them. As such, I find it easier to just not have them in the first place.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I first started I went with the "three open meals per week" mindset. In the beginning I used those open meals all the time, but now I don't feel like i need them any more.
  • Kristina115
    Kristina115 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

If you want to try going Paleo, I recommend giving it a solid try for at least a month. The Primal Blueprint, as Clutchbone mentioned, is a great place to start. I also recommend the Whole30 program (this is very strict version of Paleo but you will definitely see some results). Reason being, you've mentioned already that you are a slave to your carbs, and going Paleo will help you to fix that. You shouldn't be a slave to anything and you should enjoy real food, and reaping the rewards of eating the way your body was intended to be fuelled. Everyone gets the 'carb flu' when they start because your body has to adapt to the new way of eating.

I've been Paleo for over four years, and I'll never go back to the conventional western diet ever again. I rarely get sick and I had an awesome pregnancy. Many people who try it become part of the converted because they are immensely satisfied by their lifestyle change. The key to losing the weight is consistency, but even after you've lost the weight you can't go back to the way you ate before the change. And like the many people who go Paleo, you won't want to go back. Good luck to you!
  • cali1luv87
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!! I appreciate all the input. I did some of the reading last night. I also googled Paleo for beginners and it was really helpful as well.

I think I'm slowly understanding everything and it seems to coming together. I will try it for a month and see how it goes.

I'm not use to eating fruit.. I usually have like berries in the mornings..I need to work on that. I didn't have any today with my bfast ( running hella late).

Also, I usually drink a protein shake (rice protein no flavor tastes like crap though) any suggestions on a protein powder? I eat eggs in the mornings but sometimes I don't get hungry til like 9 and that's already 3 hours after my workout and I'm already at work..
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!! I appreciate all the input. I did some of the reading last night. I also googled Paleo for beginners and it was really helpful as well.

I think I'm slowly understanding everything and it seems to coming together. I will try it for a month and see how it goes.

I'm not use to eating fruit.. I usually have like berries in the mornings..I need to work on that. I didn't have any today with my bfast ( running hella late).

Also, I usually drink a protein shake (rice protein no flavor tastes like crap though) any suggestions on a protein powder? I eat eggs in the mornings but sometimes I don't get hungry til like 9 and that's already 3 hours after my workout and I'm already at work..

Depending on your needs you do not need a lot of fruit. More emphasis on vegetables is better. Berries are awesome but I wouldn't recommend going crazy with high sugar fruits on purpose. If you need a higher level of carbs than someone like me try adding sweet potatoes and other root veggies more often too.

I'm not a big smoothie or shake fan, though I started out using protein shake for breakfast in the beginning. It didn't take long to not need it anymore. I think eating whole foods is best. I did have a savoury green smoothie last week that I liked but found after a few days it was less likable. I make smoothies for my child and add a scoop of grass fed plain whey (NO other ingredients like anti caking agents, preservatives) but if I had access to farm fresh eggs I would probably use a raw egg instead.

If you get up a tad earlier, or do it the night before, you can pack a snack. I am the same with exercise in the morning. If I exercise at 6:30am I need to eat by 10am instead of noon. With my job that is an issue and I'm used to always waiting until noon and prefer not having to eat breakfast. However avoiding morning exercise because of this issue, which I've been doing, is silly. So the advice is the same for me: pack a snack. I also keep a jar of coconut manna in my desk for emergencies. :laugh:
  • cali1luv87
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to really "hang" with this..its hard since I don't get paid till next week, I'm working with what I have at home... I've had headaches both yesterday and today (right now).. I know I'm not eating enough (not on purpose) there is plenty of beans, bread tortillas and cereal and some bomb a** Mexican cheese that I can't eat... its hard.. I think I just should have started next week when I'm more prepared.. I'm missing fat/meat on my plates.. I'm getting sick of eggs.. :o/
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love traditional Hispanic foods. I make tortillas out of almond flour sometimes but can get a little pricey. But I do make a "lasagna" type dish out of chorizo and layered plantains. I also eat tons of guacamole and salsa with homemade plantain chips or jicama. Paleo isn't necessarily low carb. The suggestion of Mark's Daily Apple is awesome. If you are working a lot you can afford to eat more carby fruits and veggies and still lose.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to really "hang" with this..its hard since I don't get paid till next week, I'm working with what I have at home... I've had headaches both yesterday and today (right now).. I know I'm not eating enough (not on purpose) there is plenty of beans, bread tortillas and cereal and some bomb a** Mexican cheese that I can't eat... its hard.. I think I just should have started next week when I'm more prepared.. I'm missing fat/meat on my plates.. I'm getting sick of eggs.. :o/

Have things gotten easier for you?
  • cali1luv87
    Options
    Not really.. I'm not prepared like I need to be. Once I get paid and go buy my things next week ..it will be easier.

Thanks for asking!! :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!