Am I looking at this 'calorie' correctly?

Options
Okay...so here's the question I have, according to the information I was able to find for a person my size/weight and grey hair (just kidding about thd grey hair) I would need to consume over 2300 calories in order to 'maintain' the weight I am at at the moment. If I set for myself a 2000 calorie diet and stay under that level or do enough exercise to burn enough calories to stay at or below 2000 calories...I should lose weight, right? I am losing but it is painstakingly slow and I ride my bike and or walk on a daily basis.. am I just being a guy who is too impatient?

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hello i feel you pain- but not the grey hair yet!!!!!!

'They say', and i say 'they' because i don't know who states these figures but it is not happening for me either- 'They' Say if you want to lose at 1lb per week you need a DAILY deficit of 500 calories which x 7 is 3,500 deficit per week, that's what mine is set at and i am at about a 500-540 deficit per day and i have only lost 2lb since July. And i weigh and measure all my food and i am set at the lowest calories MFP will set which is 1200 daily, no i am not very active but this is allowing for all this.

So yes you have it right, if you had a daily deficit of 250 calories 'they say' you would lose 1/2lb per week.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. Add to that the fact that I am only 5ft tall and I get a BMR of 1140 and 1400 to maintain. Not a lot of calories. MFP says I will lose 0.4lbs per week. As you say, painfully slow. I can increase the 1400 by exercise but then I am hungry and eat most of it back so no gain there. The older we get the harder it gets.

The only thing you can do is stick with it and accept the amount you lose, or lower your calorie intake to lose a bit more, or increase exercise and don't eat your exercise calories back. Whichever way you do it you need to burn 3,500 calories to lose 1lb. It is not easy, but worth it in the end.

Keep going. You are doing so well
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    300 isn't much. It would take over 10 days to lose 1 pound. That is if everything is perfect. Hard to be perfect. You must weigh, not measure. You must really work as hard as you think with exercise. And you must always choose the "correct" calorie count. Even MFP database varies a lot. However, you need to eat enough. Minimum for men is 1800. And you should at this point lose 1 pound a week. Add some strength training, build some muscle and it might speed up your progress. The closer you get to goal, the harder it is. You'll get there. Just don't get discouraged.

Guessing exercise is tough. Do you use MapMy Ride and Map My Walk onyour smartphone? Good way to get more accurate numbers. Link to mfp. Also, how about opening your diary. Not for criticism, but to keep yourself honest.
  • DanNissley
    DanNissley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    300 isn't much. It would take over 10 days to lose 1 pound. That is if everything is perfect. Hard to be perfect. You must weigh, not measure. You must really work as hard as you think with exercise. And you must always choose the "correct" calorie count. Even MFP database varies a lot. However, you need to eat enough. Minimum for men is 1800. And you should at this point lose 1 pound a week. Add some strength training, build some muscle and it might speed up your progress. The closer you get to goal, the harder it is. You'll get there. Just don't get discouraged.

Guessing exercise is tough. Do you use MapMy Ride and Map My Walk onyour smartphone? Good way to get more accurate numbers. Link to mfp. Also, how about opening your diary. Not for criticism, but to keep yourself honest.

Thank all for your feedback...I suspect I'm just a tad impatient and certainly am encouraged by those of you who have lost as much weight as you have. I did just removed the 'private' make my food diary so you all can see what I'm eating....I tend to be pretty 'religious' about logging what I eat.
  • whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie which ever way you look at it! Lol. I was told my calorie allowance should be 1200 daily. On this I struggled to eat enough and gained 2lbs. Not good. I then had a serious think. I am 5'1", female, 66, retired. My daughter, 4" taller, similar amount to lose, 3 young children, 2 dogs, home to run, full time job also was given 1200 calories allowance. She was burning off a lot more energy than I was dog walking. So cut mine down to 800-1000 max and after 4 weeks sudenly lost 2lb. This week lost another 2lb. Being older makes it a lot harder. You are doing great, so you're obviosly doing right. Perhaps you could go over your diet with a microscope and see where you can substitute for a low cal version or only eat half of somethin and add more veg. No one said it would be fun! P.s stress is a fat hormone. Be kind to yourself. This is the start of the rest of your life.
  • whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay...so here's the question I have, according to the information I was able to find for a person my size/weight and grey hair (just kidding about thd grey hair) I would need to consume over 2300 calories in order to 'maintain' the weight I am at at the moment. If I set for myself a 2000 calorie diet and stay under that level or do enough exercise to burn enough calories to stay at or below 2000 calories...I should lose weight, right? I am losing but it is painstakingly slow and I ride my bike and or walk on a daily basis.. am I just being a guy who is too impatient?
    as a matter of interest, how long did it take to gain the excess weight? My point being, it will take time also to shift it. No offence.