When can I have protein bars?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am about 3 and a half weeks post op. I am having a really hard time getting my protein in as my new sleeve is not a fan of protein shakes. I have been doing the isopure drinks but I only like one flavor and its getting really old lol I wanted to see when every one started introducing protein bars into their diet? I will transition to the soft food stage on the 25th and be on it for two weeks.

Thanks!

Replies

• lkrenz0307
    lkrenz0307 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The nutritionist didn't release me for protien bars until about 3 months out, the lifetime stage. I never did a lot of shakes. I added protein powder to everything and reached my quota that way.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Not until the solid food phase.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Solid food stage, but my surgeon personally highly discourages them.

I've never tried one, because for me, I see them a glorified candy bar, and would lead me to make bad choices. (Fiber One bars did this to me pre-op - These do taste like a dang candy bar)

I recently tried Syntrax Nectar's protein shakes as I don't like shakes either. I was pleasantly surprised by them. They aren't thick, and the calorie count/carb content is better than most, too. They have a good number of flavors and although I got samples of a dozen flavors I only liked two, which are my go-to protein supplements now. The Chocolate Truffle mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (only 30 calories for a cup, plus a nice amount of potassium) and I also like the Fuzzy Navel mixed with water when I'd prefer a "fruit-like" juice vs the chocolate option.

Hang in there! Protein is super important right now and we need to do what we need to do to get it in no matter how badly we dislike it. It'll be worth it!!
  • sunshine5474
    sunshine5474 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are THE best - chocolate is my fav! I found them at Costco. 30 grams of protein, 160 calories and only 2g or maybe 3 g of sugar.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are THE best - chocolate is my fav! I found them at Costco. 30 grams of protein, 160 calories and only 2g or maybe 3 g of sugar.

Wow...those are great #'s!
    Im getting ready to have my Sleeve done (oct 16) so I need to find the right protein stuff so I don't waste money on things I don't/shouldn't be getting :ohwell:
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Wow...those are great #'s!
    Im getting ready to have my Sleeve done (oct 16) so I need to find the right protein stuff so I don't waste money on things I don't/shouldn't be getting :ohwell:

I highly recommend NOT investing heavily in any one brand until after surgery. It is amazing how your tastes change and something you like before surgery becomes intolerable after. (There are multiple threads from different people over the past year that will back me up!) Better to stock up on samples of various brands, so you have a good selection on hand to try after surgery.

That being said, let me throw out another brand for you to try...Unjury, sold online, several flavors and they have a starter sample pack available. 1 scoop = 21 g protein. I mixed their unflavored protein powder into my regular food for pretty much the entire soft food phase.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am 8 weeks post-sleeve, today. I just added protein bars in last week and only the Quest Bars (they get very mushy in your mouth.) I only eat 1/2 at a time and they are more an emergency food than anything planned. I get most of my protein from food - eggs, greek yogurt, chicken, turkey, cottage cheese, string cheese, mootopia skim milk (HEB brand high-protein milk), etc.
  • c1nder
    c1nder Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve done on 7/31 and had an extremely hard time finding a protein drink that I could tolerate. They were all so awful that they nauseated me for the rest of the day. I tried the Syntrax Nectar also and found that they are the only ones that I can drink and actually kinda like. I think I may have seen losing_sarah's post somewhere else because I tried the fuzzy navel and chocolate truffle also and really liked them. I also tried the strawberry mousse and cappuccino and I will by the strawberry again (tastes like the strawberry quick we used to drink as kids), the cappuccino I am not sure about.

These message boards are so useful in learning as we progress in this process. Someone else posted about the Nashua Nutrition site. You can find samples of most any type of protein drink or bar that you might want to try. This has been wonderful because I can try different flavors and not commit to buying a huge jug of protein that I don't like. Their shipping is fast too. Usually 2-3 days.

Good luck on your journey....it's a huge learning experience.