Difficulty With Mounting

Options
northernchic
northernchic Posts: 117 Member
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this group and thought I would throw out something that has ALWAYS challenged me...mounting...really this isn't a "new" issue for me. Despite my 5'6 height I was blessed with my father's stubby legs...so THAT's fabulous. Even when I weighed 140lbs getting "up there" has ALWAYS been a source of anxiety for me. NOW at 217 it REALLY has me in a bind., of course riding a 16.1 hand horse doesn't help lol. I do use a 2 step mounting block as I am also sensitive to the pressure I would put on his back trying to haul my butt up there, but eventually I would like to get out on the trail with him...or other venues where a block isn't available.

SO...any suggestions for stretches or exercises that can help with mounting?

Thanks!! :happy:

Replies

• epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not an exercise, but a tool that can help where there isn't a block available.

http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-6512.htm

I love mine. My horse isn't as tall as yours, but my treeless saddle can't handle me getting on from the ground.

Pip
  • nis75p06
    nis75p06 Posts: 114
    Options
    Those little stools are useful, the collapsing kind that you take with you, as well as simply training your horse to stand quietly in a ditch or beside a log. I was always a fan of ditch/log when riding out - and having younger, fitter folks along to open gates :).
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    And there is always the tailgate/side of the trailer mount! I'm a bit concerned about the getting back on thing, too, if/when I start foxhunting. If I fall off I may be walking back, 'cause getting back up in a jumping saddle ain't happening...
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone suggested - I would never, ever, not use a mounting block unless I absolutly have too - it puts way too much stress on their back (my vet / chiropractor would smack me), stretches out your leathers, plus, I keep my girth so loose the saddle would just end up under her belly.

Generally out on the trail theres always going to be a rock / log / something you can use. Practive by finding random objects and teaching your horse to stand quietly next to them as you dismount and mount - or even just put your foot in the stirrup and act like you are going to mount to save his back. Theres also ususally another person out there with you 9Im assuming) who could give you a leg up.

Chances are if you were in an emergency situation you actually COULD get on from the ground - you just arent in that mentality when you are practicing. I had to dismount my girl on a hunter pace years ago because i could NOT get her over a bridge. After losing 45 minutes and feeling bad for my team, I dismounted her and draged her a half mile up river where it was mall enough to jump across and led the way on foot. On the other side the panick that i was alone in the woods soaking wet struck a little and before I knew it I was in the saddle - I have no idea to this day how the hell i got on - I just did it.
  • northernchic
    Options
    Thanks for the input and I'm sure Jedi thanks you too lol :wink:

~ Betty
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    A few things my personal trainer and chiropractor have me doing to stretch and strength hips, butt and inner thighs:

Lunges (side and back)
    Squats
    Planks (standard and side)
    Clamshells
    Fire Hydrants
    Birddogs
    Hip Extensions

If you look up exercises for the glutes, they will have explanations on the last 4.

I never get on from the ground either (it's nearly impossible considering the horses I ride are all 16-18.2 HH) but these should also help you to land softly when mounting even from a block, ramp or convenient tree stump.

Michele
  • northernchic
    Options
    Thanks Michele!!

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's also important to be able to control the mount from a block :smile:

thanks for the exercise ideas, most of them are in the new program I'm doing...so yay!!

~ Betty
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No advice really but with a 16.3hh monster, I feel your pain :(
  • fittoride61
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580175422/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

This book I just started has lots of exercises fitness programs for riders.
  • northernchic
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580175422/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

This book I just started has lots of exercises fitness programs for riders.

That's awesome!! Thanks!!
  • twinkle150
    twinkle150 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can try working your way down to the ground...keep lowing the level you mount from. Also practice lifting yourself up. The bars of a metal gate work well getting your bent leg up higher and higher.
  • laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I found pilates really helped me, I wasn't my thinnest when I was doing it, but it was the only time I could get on off the ground. I've found that having strong balancing muscles helps you pull your way up there.
  • appygirl84
    appygirl84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly, but find two fence boards. One that is as high as you can put your foot, and one that you can pretend is a saddle horn, and practice. When it starts getting easier to haul yourself up, just one legged, then practice swinging that leg over. While you might not want to get on your horse from the ground, part of it is an upper body strength issue, and doing this will help build it up. I am 5'1" and I have pretty much always had a hard time getting on horses, no matter how tall the horse, or what I was using. At 115lbs as a teenager I used to swing up from the ground onto my 16.1 appaloosa gelding and my 16.3 thoroughbred gelding. Now I preferred to use a mounting block, but you need to be able to get on your horse from the ground in case there is ever an emergency. By practicing you prevent yourself from doing the one legged hop when you do have to get on from the ground. When I rode english I always let out my stirrup so I could get on and readjusted it when I was mounted, over time I learned this wasn't the smartest thing with the tb. Once I started riding western doing that wasn't an option with my saddle.

My appaloosa is now 27, no sway back, we still ride him. So I don't know that years of being mounted from the ground harmed him. My father never used mounting blocks he was 5'11", his old owner Bill never used them. Bill was 6'2". Once I started trail riding I didn't use them as much, finding the perfect tree is sometimes a hard thing to do! I amn jealous of my boyfriend, he has the upper body strength to walk up to a horse put one hand on the withers the other near the croup, and lift himself so riding bareback is never a problem for him. Me I have to find a truck tailgate.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    When on trail rides, I used to drop the stirrup low enough to be able to get on and then put it back once mounted. My horse was only 15.2 though and I rode english. Now that I am borrowing my husbands western horse until I can get a new one, I have to find something to climb up on to get on because the stirrups are a lot harder to adjust :)