vegetable ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• typaymommie
    typaymommie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed peppers, and they are also my 12 year old's favorite meal. Use colorful peppers for a pretty meal.

4 bell peppers-hollowed out. Save the tops.
    1C cooked brown rice
    1/2lb cooked ground chicken breast
    1can low salt tomato sauce
    1T Worcestershire sauce
    1t each dried basil, dried mustard, garlic

Mix together all of the ingredients except for the peppers-until warmed thru. To get the peppers to stand upright, you might need to slice a very small part off the bottom. Stuff the peppers with the ingredients. Place in a pan. Pour in the bottom of the pan water so it's just covering the bottom of the pan. Cover pan with foil. Cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until peppers are soft.
    You can liven up the spices with red pepper flakes, cumin, chili powder, whatever you like. My kids just like these spices.
  • typaymommie
    typaymommie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked with bok choy. Do you use just the green part or the white bulb as well?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I saute a zucchini (sliced) with a sweet onion in a little olive oil. Season with garlic powder and black pepper.

i've been dong a lot of zucchini recently from back yard. sauted misted olive oil, with handfuls of fresh sage, basil, parsley and dill. my mother would roll in her grave if she knew. i've been throwing the herbs in salad too... a nice kick

my sage bush is going to flower. what a pretty plant
  • struggeling53
    struggeling53 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like to cut my veggies thin, put salt, pepper, whatever spices i like on them , then put them in the dehydrator, makes yummy chips......I also put veggies in my smoothies...
  • shannonlynne67
    shannonlynne67 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is my new favorite salad:
    Shred carrots and beets, add chopped apple, a few walnuts and dried cherries (or cranberries), then add a little lemon. This stores well in glass jars in the fridge. When it is time to eat I place the shredded veggies on a bed of green lettuce, or kale, or spinach; add feta and homemade honey dijon vinaigrette. YUM!
  • emt4u
    emt4u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try cooking or steaming a head of cauliflower and mash it like mashed potatoes. It is healthier and you can put onion, bacon bits and low fat cheese and it is like a loaded baked potato but without all the carbs! I also try to steam or grill all my veggies.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    hey everyone! sorry to say i don't have much to share, i'm actually asking for YOUR favorite ways to cook vegetables? I'm really trying to broaden my diet here and fit as many vegetables as possible. but let's be real, a few veggies just don't taste too good, especially alone. (i can eat just about anything if i can eat it with a bite of something else haha) so feel free to share your ideas!! :)

If you like a good variety of veggies and you like cheese....

Take some of several different veggies (for example: potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and caulflower). Trim and/or cut as necessary. Steam each in separate pots until fork-tender.
    Place some of each veggie on a microwave-safe plate. Dot with some butter and top with cheese slices (we used Velveeta). Microwave on high power until the cheese is melted (be careful, plate will be hot). Enjoy immediately.