Weight loss without changing foods only portion sizes

Options
Yana220
Yana220 Posts: 53 Member
Have any of you lost weight and not changed the food you eat, only your portion sizes?

Replies

• kayleedylmom
    Options
    I did in the beginning but did not see a big lost so I changed how food was prepared and increased workout and made subtle changes like french fries instead of fried i do baked sweet potato fries, burgers turkey burgers small changes make a difference. Turkey breakfast sausage., etc
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Somewhat, I primarily focus on portion size. While there are foods that I will more than likely never eat again (mostly food I would prepare in the most decadent ways - high fat, high sugar, etc.) I still eat sweets and fried foods and go out to eat and I do not pick the low fat, low calorie options. I chose to make changes for the long term so I hope that when I start maintenece this will translate over :smile:

I think you can pretty much focus on portion sizes, for me since I workout everyday and try to stay active I really try eating balanced meals more so now then in the past. I think if you listen to your body this can help you to eat maybe better and as time goes and you lose weight your "appetite thermostat" resets so you won't feel as hungry and eat as much.
  • meikmonet
    Options
    I try to still enjoy the foods I been eating, but also remember that I am trying to lose weight not put on more. I reduced the portion size, and also substitute my snacks for healthier options. I learned that I'm a snacker (is that even a word. lol) I snack way more than actually sitting down eating a meal.
  • Omanya
    Omanya Posts: 50
    Options
    If you're trying to assess if that will work --

It inherently will as long as you maintain a deficit. In fact, it's probably preferable to start with simply managing portion sizes instead of changing your entire diet all at once. One step at a time, no?

See if and how much you lose eyeballing your proportions. If you're not consistently reaching your goals, start weighing your proportions. If you're still not reaching your goals, determine your estimated deficit and actively work to maintain it.
  • Omanya
    Omanya Posts: 50
    Options
    Also, the type of food doesn't cause you to gain/maintain/lose weight. Only caloric consumption/expenditure does. Food's only role in that respect is making it harder by causing nonhunger-related food cravings or making it easier by not doing so. Some diets correlate with weight loss not because there's anything special about paleo or vegan or keto, but because they cause most people to decrease their caloric consumption.

Change the contents of your diet for health, not weight loss.
  • Cocoa_Jean
    Cocoa_Jean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What I am learning and this journey, since I am just now starting over ONCE again, is that portion control is everything. A scale.. is everything. What you may be eyeballing may in fact be incorrect, and when you eat the regular things you used to and only do smaller portions you are HUNGRY... especially if you are working out heavy. If you think of it in terms as.. I would rather be FULL... it helps to mentally shift my decisions and what I'm doing at mealtime. I did not do that last time.. and I think it was part of my downfall...
  • jbb86
    jbb86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On my first weight loss journey I ate what I normally would eat just in smaller portions I believe *wasn't weighing myself regularly* I lost 20-30 lbs. I then incorporated exercising mostly jogging into my daily regimen and I lost 75lbs. in about 6 months. Now I am going to try this again after falling off the wagon and I hope to have the same results just have to find time to exercise with work, kids and a husband.. lol