Expectations

Options
Hi all - new to the group and new to Atkins (and trying to be active on the boards although you all are a pretty quiet bunch) - I'm on Day 12 of induction, and I'm a little frustrated. I have not cheated, and have diligently logged everything that's gone into my mouth. I lost 4 1/2 pounds by day 4, and i think just now I'm finally through the induction symptoms (headache, jitters, peeing constantly). However I have not lost an ounce since Day 4. I've been yo-yo-ing 1/2 pound for the last 8 days. So I realize that I might need to get a reality check from those of you who have been on Atkins for a while.

What should I expect here? I know some people lose great amounts of weight - while apparently I am not that person. I've got about 65 more pounds to lose and i'm not looking for a quick fix, but I thought this would be moving a little faster.

Any advice?

Replies

• christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Do you know if you are in Ketosis yet? Atkins doesn't require you to count calories, but do you have an idea from logging your food of how many calories you are eating? Are you getting in some veggies (low carb) of course? How many carbs are you getting and where are they coming from?

Also, are you drinking a lot of water to help move things along?

It will work, but sometimes you need a tweak or two. :)
  • jmarton1977
    jmarton1977 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am in ketosis (according to the ketostix) and I am getting in my 4 cups of veggies daily. I'm using the Atkins app to track (as well as also following along on MFP because I think the calorie counts are more accurate here and the food catalog far outpaces the Atkins app). I was up almost four times a night all week because of all the water I was drinking and that seems to have stopped - only up one time last night thank goodness! I'm generally hitting my calorie goal on MFP of 1500, with a few days of hitting 1600 and one 1800 day. Carbs are coming from veggies, primarily lettuce, celery, radishes, cucumbers, green peppers, tomatoes, broccoli and green beans. Other primarily consumed items are eggs, cheese, shrimp, chicken, sashimi, and I have had some peanut butter although it's not on the induction menu but I track that really closely (I don't want to live in a world where I can't eat peanut butter).

Patience has never been my strong suit.... so I know that sometimes the body has to adjust, but looking at others who have lost so much during induction and I seem a bit stuck, I was certainly wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I think my next strategy (besides continuing to fight the good fight, and stay in the induction phase) is to add some walking in. Maybe that will get things to start moving. I do have a desk job, and it's so hard to get away from the computer during the day, but I'll make an effort.
  • jmarton1977
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I haven't gone over 22 carbs/day - definitely never as high as 25!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It certainly sounds like you are doing things right! I would definitely try some walking every day and if you can keep your calories to 1500 or so, that would be better. Stick it out for a few more days and then see what happens. I have been through several phases where I have yo-yo'd. Very frustrating, but usually your body will give it up if you change something.

There may be something to be said for weekly weigh-ins instead of daily. :)
  • jmarton1977
    Options
    For me I think that's the case. I get so excited to see what I've potentially lost, and then am always disappointed, so I think that's another thing I'm going to do.
  • delawrence
    Options
    I am at week 2 of Induction and have only lost 3 pounds. I think it's my fault - I drank non-carb cocktails on 3 different social occasions in the last 2 weeks, and I think I thought that my P90X (6 days a week) + 3 of those days double workout days, would mitigate the social oopsie. Guess not. I think it is really all about the tweaking and trying different things. I'm not sure whether you are measuring your carbs in grams/ounces or volume but I find that going by volume is more difficult to be precise.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My weight stalled for months and it was due to peanut butter. I find it difficult to measure a tablespoon..... I removed PB for a week and the scale moved. Now I have PB in moderation, no longer an everyday thing because it gets pretty addictive to me due to the sugar.

Good luck!
  • jmarton1977
    Options
    I have been eating peanut butter as a snack almost every day, but I am diligently measuring it. I'll cut back, and see what happens!
  • jmarton1977
    Options
    So I started walking for 30 minutes (nothing strenuous - just a walk) and I cut WAY back on the peanut butter - only once every few days instead of every day - and things are starting to move! Down 7.5 pounds now, in three weeks which isn't half bad. I'll take it! When I see that number drop on the scale it's just motivation to keep going. Thanks all for the support - much appreciated.