Wine = weight gain I think

Options
Good morning,
I am 53 years old (in August 54!!) and struggling with weight loss. I am peri-menopausal - I haven't had a period in 7 months, but it has come back after a long stretch like this, so I am not out of the woods yet. I gained 30 lb 3 years ago due to extreme family stress (daughter has mental illness and was admitted to psychiatric facility, and my brother died - all at the same time). Things are more settled now (finally) and a year ago I took off about 15 lb of my belly gain. I so want to drop another 15 lb (this weight gain makes me feel old!), but just can't seem to do it. Over the last year I have worked with a lovely nutritionist, who hooked me up with this terrific website. I've also worked with a therapist to help me with my own PTSD, so I am feeling OK inside!!

Yet, at night at home I still love to drink my wine. This is a habit I developed during my daughter's violent episodes at home, when we just didn't know what to do. You get it - stress.

Nowadays, when I am not at home, staying with with friends and extended family etc, I am fine without wine, or maybe just one glass. My homelife is still somewhat stressful (I have four teenaged daughters, four years apart in age, and my youngest continues to struggle emotional/behavioral challenges, and is now home, doing better, but challenging), and I just love a glass or two or three (or four) of wine at night. Of course this leads to night-time snacking, weight gain, guilty feelings in the morning.

I am wondering if anyone out there has developed this habit, and figured out how to break it. I have gone cold turkey and done well, but I miss my quiet time at night with my wine. I don't feel that I need to do AA - nor want to - and feel that I can figure this out on my own.

Also, as an fyi, I am a budding meditator, yoga practioner, exerciser, weight-lifter (baby weights), and exercise more or less regularly 3 hours per week.

I am looking for encouragement, advice, and ideas. Thanks.

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used to have a daily glass of wine (sometimes two) with dinner. It was 5-6 years ago when I also had three teenagers at home, one of which struggles with depression/anxiety. Both my husband and I had wine with dinner and usually an extra glass at the end of the week. Then I started WW on-line and in the last few years MFP. Deciding to eat healthier I just made the change to water with dinner. It's something only you can change and carry through on.

Now if I drink wine if family/friends are over I consciously take a smaller glass and rarely have more then one. Life's all about choices and I'd rather have popcorn or creamer in my coffee. But those are my choices and you'll have to work through yours.

Best of luck!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    When I drink wine, I cannot control eating other calories with it, and I end up gaining all my losses back. Next time I need to log it in advance and plan the rest of my day around it better, and/or a good workout.

It feels good to drink anything from a wine glass or a beer pint glass - iced tea, bloody mary mix, lemon water, so I try to remember to use those glasses often and it makes me miss it less.

I never waste calories on bad tasting anything, so if a glass of wine is off, it goes to my spouse or down the drain. He keeps red in the fridge which is great for me because I don't like it chilled.

Like ggeise said, it's a choice, and if you can work it in within calories and nutritional goals, if it makes you feel good, if it's not the boss of you, why not?
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I definitely have developed the habit over the last few years and I really enjoy my wine. I was having at least 1-2 glasses a night. When I met with my Gyn recently I commented on how great she looked. She's about my age and shared she had constant weight struggles but had changed her eating plan and cut back the wine. I said how much I enjoy it. She said just don't have it every night (gulp that is me), once a week or so. So that's what I'm trying now, enjoy on Fri/Sat. I've had a terrible time with insomnia the last few years (peri-menopause). I've noticed I've been sleeping a lot better not drinking wine.
  • chachadeb
    chachadeb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I drink wine, I cannot control eating other calories with it, and I end up gaining all my losses back. Next time I need to log it in advance and plan the rest of my day around it better, and/or a good workout.

I like the idea of logging it in advance. I also tend to eat so much more food when I drink wine.
  • erinden
    erinden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Drinking is very hard to give up and every time I have gone back to drinking the weight came back on. When I stopped, it fell off. Most of us use wine or whatever to relax, but it sounds like you are well on your way to finding better things to relax. Good luck!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 2 sometimes 3 glasses of wine with dinner. I've given it up a few times for a few weeks at a time and did not see a difference.

It's something that I am not willing to give up. As for the snacking it happens at times and I try to go for nuts or some dark chocolate.

Karen
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    When I was a single mom of 5, the only wine I had was what I put in my spaghetti sauce. Later, I started to enjoy my glass of melot every evening....then 2....sometimes 3.

Anyway, weight kept creeping up. I added exercise. Nope, didn't help. I already at so little that I didn't want to reduce that, so I started looking at eliminating empty calories. That sugar and cream in the morning coffee....that can of Nestea Iced Tea (sugared version) at lunch. Take out 2 glasses of wine, replace with water (keep a bottle handy at all times) and see if that works.

I'm 4 days into it. I really wanted a glass last night, but I behaved myself! Let's see how long I can keep this up. I plan on relaxing with my wine on the weekends only..... Here's to Saturday night! :drinker:
  • mandymack14
    mandymack14 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and I think, after 8 years, I might finally be POST menopausal. I love wine and have 2 small glasses each night 120mls each (about 180 cals in total). I drink heaps of water during the day and a couple of coffees. Apart from the wine I eat very cleanly (mostly) and I have been losing steadily - except when the ice cream bug bites me, and then all bets are off.
  • cmsgrant
    cmsgrant Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am also 53 years old and post-menopausal. I also enjoy my wine! I think we can all slip into that drinking a glass-or two-or three....every night. I think the important thing for you is that you are finding other things to relax you, i.e., yoga, meditating, etc. I would suggest that you try to meditate in the evening. I also like to drink Kava Stress Relief tea (Yogi brand). This really helps me !Good luck!
  • cmsgrant
    Options
    Someone asked me where to get this tea. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. We have it at Giant Eagle and Heinen's. Sorry, I don't know what happened to that message!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Alcohol speeds up the ageing process, contrary to various world governments desperate marketing tactics to prove different.
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    Alcohol speeds up the ageing process, contrary to various world governments desperate marketing tactics to prove different.

Yes, alcohol can speed up the aging process, but red wine has proven cardiac benefits. A mediterranean diet has proven to have life extending properties. You'll end up wrinkled, but we all will at some point (unless a surgical knife is in your future).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    hmm, not sure I buy that, given that the governments are all trying to get us to give up booze.

The 90+ study recently found that one of the keys to living to 90 was moderate alcohol consumption.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me where to get this tea. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area. We have it at Giant Eagle and Heinen's. Sorry, I don't know what happened to that message!

^^ This was me (lol)
    we do not have either of those where I am but perhaps Wegman's may have it.....?
    just like to give it a try
    Thank you!!! :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

^^ This was me (lol)
    we do not have either of those where I am but perhaps Wegman's may have it.....?
    There's also a yummy "tension tamer" tea. some major brand....I'm sure wegmans would have that one.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options

^^ This was me (lol)
    There's also a yummy "tension tamer" tea. some major brand....I'm sure wegmans would have that one.

Really?!? hmmm does it actually tame your tension?? I am going to have to look for Both of these teas...nice way to unwind at the end of day :) Thank you!! :D
  • cmsgrant
    Options
    Yes, any grocery that has organic/natural products may have it. Good luck!
  • cmsgrant
    Options
    Not as much as wine does, but hey, we can dream, right?!