Confused about TDEE calorie goal

Options
enzosmama
enzosmama Posts: 134 Member
Hi guys- I just discovered this group from looking at Sidesteel's profile (read the sexy pants thread) So forgive me, I've already posted this on the boards but wanted to come here for some more solid advice and guidance vs. the drama that occurs from the general population.

Here goes:

Here are my stats:
Female
35 years
5'6"
260 lbs
desk job

Using the TDEE estimator at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html my TDEE is 2920 (I entered 10 hrs resting, 11 hrs very light, 2 hrs light, 2 hr moderate activity- being conservative here so as not to over estimate)

If I set my calorie goal at TDEE -20% that brings me to 2336 calories/day. Assuming the above activity levels and that I don't have mroe activity in my day than that.

Now, same stats in MFP (female, 35 years, 5'6", 260 lbs, sedentary) plus 3 workouts at 45 min each per week, set to lose 2 lbs/week. MFP has me at 1360 calories.

I DO understand the difference b/w MFP's method and TDEE as with MFP you "eat back" your fitness calories. But on a GOOD day I burn around 400 calories with exercise. So that would bring me to 1760 calories according to MFP.

That's an almost 600 calorie/day difference between the two. 2336 calories SCARES the bejesus out of me. That seems like too high and I just don't believe I can lose weight at that intake.

Talk me off the ledge here- right now 1360 feels too low. And I get that I can increase that by changing my loss goal from 2 lbs to 1.5 lbs/week with MFP. But at 260 with a goal weight of 150 right now I DO want to lose 2 lbs/week. But 2336 seriously scares me.

Can I get some feedback on this? Is 2336 a realistic caloric intake for someone of my height/weight to lose 2 lbs a week? Should I just take the average of the two and shoot for that? I'd like to start tracking macros so I want to be sure my caloric intake is set accurately... but this just feels super high.

Replies

• enzosmama
    Options
    And PS Thanks in advance- I'm just now learning about a lot of this so I have a lot to learn!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would like to first ask you this:

Have you been tracking your calories and macronutrients? I see you are not new to MFP and you have already lost 15lbs. How many calories have you been eating in the past, say two months, and what has your weight done in that time?
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First of all, remember that all of these calculators can only give you estimates. Your individual body may burn more or less than these estimates. I put your stats into the Fitness Frog calculator, which gives me somewhere between 2650 ((light exercise) and 2980 (moderate exercise) for your TDEE - similar to the numbers you got. To lose 2 pounds per week, you'll need to create a deficit of about 1000 calories per day, which would give you 1980 calories per day if you base it on the moderate exercise TDEE.

I have found that for me personally, all the TDEE calculators under estimate my calorie burn. Other people find the opposite. I think a good place for you to start would be around 2000 calories a day. Give it a few weeks, then adjust up or down if needed to lose the 2 pounds per week, which is realistic for the amount of weight you have to lose.

Good luck!

ETA if SideSteel gives you different advice, please ignore the above!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Using the TDEE estimator at http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html my TDEE is 2920 (I entered 10 hrs resting, 11 hrs very light, 2 hrs light, 2 hr moderate activity- being conservative here so as not to over estimate)

If you have a desk job, are you moving even lightly 15 hours a day? I have a Fitbit & looked at my stats for yesterday, which was a pretty active day for me (I swam before work, walked at lunch & biked after work). Not including sleep, I was sedentary 12 hours & 49 minutes (that includes sitting at my desk), was lightly active 1:50, fairly active 1:34 & very active 2:29.
  • enzosmama
    Options
    I would like to first ask you this:

Have you been tracking your calories and macronutrients? I see you are not new to MFP and you have already lost 15lbs. How many calories have you been eating in the past, say two months, and what has your weight done in that time?

I have been tracking my calories as per MFP's recommendations. Not my macros- not really sure how to determine how I should set those. I will say I have not been 100% with my tracking 100% of the time- there are meals or whole days I've missed here and there and I know that can make a huge difference. I am committed to 100% of 100% going forward.

Generally speaking in the last two months I've eaten from 1300-1600 calories. Yes, I've lost 15 lbs but I've been yo-yo'ing around that 15 lb mark for weeks now. My weight seems to fluctuate greatly (I weigh anywhere from 1-3x per week) but the 15 lb mark is the lowest I've been in the last two months. I've lost 6.4 lbs in the last two months, but there have been fluctuations in there. It hasn't been a linear loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi all!

Thank you for your input, but we ask for people not to comment on intake threads.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/861596-please-read
  • enzosmama
    Options
    Sorry guys, I'm sure you're super busy. Just wanted to follow up on this- thanks for any feedback you may have!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry for the delay - we should be able to get back to you this weekend.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Before we can really help with a suggested calorie goal (and macro targets) we would need some consistent data to see what your weight does at a certain intake level.

When I pull your diary, as you note, there are missing meals and days. However, if I exclude those, you are at about 1,900 calories - which could well be higher with the missing days.

Could you make a concerted effort to log as accurately as possible for 2 weeks - track your weight over that time and then get back to us so we can see what may be a good intake level for you. Do not worry too much about the macros for now - but aim to get at least 100g of protein. We will probably end up increasing this, but as your protein is a bit low at the moment, a smaller increase would probably be easier. Set your calorie target at 1,800 and get as close to it as possible.

Also, what has your weight done over the last 4 weeks, in weekly increments, if you have it.
  • enzosmama
    Options
    Before we can really help with a suggested calorie goal (and macro targets) we would need some consistent data to see what your weight does at a certain intake level.

When I pull your diary, as you note, there are missing meals and days. However, if I exclude those, you are at about 1,900 calories - which could well be higher with the missing days.

Could you make a concerted effort to log as accurately as possible for 2 weeks - track your weight over that time and then get back to us so we can see what may be a good intake level for you. Do not worry too much about the macros for now - but aim to get at least 100g of protein. We will probably end up increasing this, but as your protein is a bit low at the moment, a smaller increase would probably be easier. Set your calorie target at 1,800 and get as close to it as possible.

Also, what has your weight done over the last 4 weeks, in weekly increments, if you have it.
    Thank you for your response- I have been MIA since I had a bout with bronchitis and am still recovering. I will track as accurately as possible for the next 2 weeks and touch base at that point.

Weight has been fluctuating. It's as follows:
    8/26- 260.6
    8/29- 266.2
    8/31- 262.8
    9/2- 262.4
    9/4- 261.8
    9/6- 262.8
    9/9- 260
    9/20- 264.4 (wasn't tracking while I was sick- this was my first weigh in post-bronchitis)
    9/24- 263

So I'm actually up 2.4 lbs from where I started at the beginning of the last 30 days. The fluctuation is driving me nuts but I will certainly own up to it because obviously something I'm doing isn't working (or a few things anyway!)

So 1800 calories for the next 2 weeks, starting today, 100% tracking, and I will touch base with a new post at that point. I really appreciate your help and recommendations!