Week Two Challenge: Strength Training

Options
There is a common belief that women who lift weight will become bulky. I am here to tell that isn't true. Women who are bulky take steroids and testosterone supplements. Because of the estrogen in our bodies women, instead of becoming beefcakes, develop lean bodies.

Here are some benefits to lifting weights:
1. Stronger, more efficient body
2. Lean, toned body
*** 3. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle you build the more you can eat and still lose weight. This also helps the transition back to eating normally. Instead of having to eat fewer calories the rest of your life, you can eat MORE without gaining your weight back. This last point is my favorite because I love food.

So here is the challenge:
1. Strength train 2-3 times during the week.
2. Make sure to train all muscle groups.
3. Make sure to keep eating your fruits and veggies!

Here's what I do:
Legs - squats, lunges, deadlifts
Chest/back - bench press, rows, shoulder press
Arms - bicep curls, tricep extensions
Core - planks, side reaches, crossover crunches, bicycle crunches

If you don't have access to weights calisthenics work as well. Push ups would replace bench/chest press. Squats and lunges do wonders for the butt and thighs. For triceps you can use a chair and do dips.

Replies

• runningsahm
    runningsahm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great challenge! Looking forward to getting back on track with this!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Alright - good call!

This is something I've been wanting to do. I need to figure it out. Thanks Amanda!
  • sweetpea2820
    sweetpea2820 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    HI there, I will do my best with this challenge, right now I have the use of only 1 arm so weights and things are out. The only thing on your list I really have been doing are the squats. So will continue with that. Last week I also found a Hiit workout that only has 1 exercise in it I really can't do, so will keep up that workout.

fruits and veggies, I had a fruit smoothie for lunch and a big salad for dinner.

Have a great week.:flowerforyou:
  • yayaohiggins
    yayaohiggins Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This weeks challenge should prove to be doable.... today I did my strength training with my trainer that included:
    squats
    push up on a bar and pull up
    dead lifts
    over head press
    then I walked for 45 mins to get my steps in.

On Sunday I started a squat challenge for 28 days. First day starts with 20 and final day ends with 50. This is a beginner squat challenge. So it is also very doable....

Yesterday I had a smoothie for breakfast, raw veggies and a sweet potato for lunch, and a salad for dinner... went to bowling and proceeded to drink a couple of Blue Moon Beer... oh well...
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Did my second day of weight lifting and had a huge salad for lunch. :)
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great job Ams.

This is what I need because I've been wanting to get up and get a workout in.

Just to let everyone know you can youtube some videos like Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred if you can't get to a gym. All you need are hand weights. This is my plan for the week.
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Today I did my third day of lifting. I feel accomplished, because in the recent past I have had a difficult time doing more than one workout in a week. I want to keep going though. Next week will be the true test. :)