Coconut Oil

Options
lulalacroix
lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
Hey all. Just wondering how many of you eat coconut oil and if you do, have you noticed any effects from it such as increased energy or feeling more full. Just curious.

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I consume coconut oil once in a while. When I have it, I'll often have a fair amount (4+ TBS). I notice no difference compared to the same amount of calories from another fat source (lard, butter, etc.).
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, a calorie by definition is a measure of energy. You get the same energy from 1 calorie of coconut oil as you would any other fat.

Plenty of claimed benefits of coconut oil, very little ( if any ) scientific proof .

That said I sauté with it since it has a higher smoke point then olive oil.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am unable to eat coconut oil after 4pm without it effecting my sleep.
    I only consume 1 Tbs every other day (on my feeding days) because otherwise my ketosis is too high on my feeding days.
    For me, the coconut oil has been an instant appetite killer and major satisfier.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and baking, haven't tried to just eat a spoonful as some people can. I get the refined kind since I don't want everything tasting like coconut. I use it for cooking anything on the stove since it has a higher smoke point. I also use bacon grease but when that runs out, I turn to coconut oil. I also have used it to make fat bombs, melting baking chocolate with it and then letting it harden in freezer. I have more energy eating this way, but I don't know what to contribute that to specifically. I highly recommend using it, it does make food taste richer if that makes sense.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, a calorie by definition is a measure of energy. You get the same energy from 1 calorie of coconut oil as you would any other fat.

Plenty of claimed benefits of coconut oil, very little ( if any ) scientific proof .

That said I sauté with it since it has a higher smoke point then olive oil.
    lol.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I drink about a 1/2 to 3/4 TBSP in my coffee. I had to work up to that much. Gave me the grumbly guts something terrible in the beginning. I liked the taste, my belly didn't like it though. I'm perfectly fine now. I can't drink my coffee without it and my heavy cream.

It's a fat, so it helps me feel more full so that I make it to lunch without getting snacky.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Just wondering how many of you eat coconut oil and if you do, have you noticed any effects from it such as increased energy or feeling more full. Just curious.

Haven't felt any different. But I did try the LouAna brand last night. I heated up 1 tbls and used it as "dipping" sauce for my ribeye steak. It was yummy. LOL!
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    I am unable to eat coconut oil after 4pm without it effecting my sleep.
    I only consume 1 Tbs every other day (on my feeding days) because otherwise my ketosis is too high on my feeding days.
    For me, the coconut oil has been an instant appetite killer and major satisfier.

I've heard this before about it affecting sleep. I've been taking some daily and it definitely seems to affect my appetite.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    I use it for cooking and baking, haven't tried to just eat a spoonful as some people can. I get the refined kind since I don't want everything tasting like coconut. I use it for cooking anything on the stove since it has a higher smoke point. I also use bacon grease but when that runs out, I turn to coconut oil. I also have used it to make fat bombs, melting baking chocolate with it and then letting it harden in freezer. I have more energy eating this way, but I don't know what to contribute that to specifically. I highly recommend using it, it does make food taste richer if that makes sense.

I haven't used it for cooking because I like using butter or bacon fat. But I will make some fat bombs with it when I get time.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My first couple of weeks on Keto I was eating lots of it with every meal, my skin got very soft and it killed hunger but I got sick of it from eating so much. Now I mostly use it in cooking and use virgin olive oil on salads, also sometimes put some butter on food after cooking.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and by extension MCT oil is different than other types of fat. The body sends medium chain triglycerides thru a different pathway. They cannot be stored like other fats and readily break down into Ketones for immediate energy. Coconut oil is like a slow boost that last 3-4 hours. MCT oil is like high octane that is a 90 minute burst, which is why it is popular in the fitness industry.

Both are very good for your brain which is why they are used to reverse they effect of Alzheimer's.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love love my coconut oil!!! Its a wonder! energy booster, cooking medium, skin softener.

Palm kernel oil kind of freaks me out though. I've not used that. I bought some, but put it in the back of the cupboard.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I drink about a 1/2 to 3/4 TBSP in my coffee. I had to work up to that much. Gave me the grumbly guts something terrible in the beginning. I liked the taste, my belly didn't like it though. I'm perfectly fine now. I can't drink my coffee without it and my heavy cream.

It's a fat, so it helps me feel more full so that I make it to lunch without getting snacky.

Me too. I pretty much only use it in coffee so I only have it in the morning. I also had the stomach issues as well...sometimes still do.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    My first couple of weeks on Keto I was eating lots of it with every meal, my skin got very soft and it killed hunger but I got sick of it from eating so much. Now I mostly use it in cooking and use virgin olive oil on salads, also sometimes put some butter on food after cooking.

How much would you say you were eating each day when it started affecting your skin?
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    Coconut oil and by extension MCT oil is different than other types of fat. The body sends medium chain triglycerides thru a different pathway. They cannot be stored like other fats and readily break down into Ketones for immediate energy. Coconut oil is like a slow boost that last 3-4 hours. MCT oil is like high octane that is a 90 minute burst, which is why it is popular in the fitness industry.

Both are very good for your brain which is why they are used to reverse they effect of Alzheimer's.

Thanks for the info. Based on your info, I wonder if it would be good to eat every 3-4 hours.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    I love love my coconut oil!!! Its a wonder! energy booster, cooking medium, skin softener.

Palm kernel oil kind of freaks me out though. I've not used that. I bought some, but put it in the back of the cupboard.

I don't really know anything about palm kernel oil. Why does it freak you out?
  • persistentsoul
    Options

How much would you say you were eating each day when it started affecting your skin?

Looked back in my diary and I was eating 16 tea spoons of coconut oil a day. My skin did go lovely and soft and I had no issues from eating so much of it that I am aware of. I just got fed up of it and it was expensive using so much. I eat maybe 4 or 5 tea spoons of it a day now. My skin is not so lovely and soft as it was then.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It looks like I should try coconut oil! Never had it the oil, only the milk in curries. Is it similar to palm oil, anyone knows?

What should I look for when choosing it, are there grades? Any really good brands?
  • persistentsoul
    Options
    The best ones are organic, virgin cold pressed coconut oil. It is white and can be solid at room temperature in cold or soft or liquid if very hot day. It is usually sold in jars or tubs. Some big general stores have it or can get it in health food shops or off amazon. It is not cheep for the good stuff which is one reason I eat less now.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It's gone into the shopping list. Thank you. :smile: