Flirting with the idea of Keto

Options
So, I have already lost 77lbs since April 18th, so obviously I am not overly struggling with the weight loss, yet I am flirting with the idea of keto anyway, and the main reason is, I seem to eat fairly low-carb as is.

My net carbs for the last three week work out to about 54 daily, (total-fiber) and my fat is up to about 41-42% of my diet. Protein is about 39-40% (I eat a 1350 calorie plan, it works).

It would require some minor changes, the biggest of which would be: no more Little Big Bread, but I only eat 4-6 slices a week if that anyway. I'd have to jump to full fat cheese from reduced, heavy cream(?) from half and half, full fat greek yogurt (if I continued to eat it), etc...

Most of the fruit I eat currently is raspberries anyway, which as far as I can tell are about as good as it gets fruitwise vis a vis keto.

I also wanted to ask, if I do decide to flip completely over, do things like chia seeds and psyllium husk (0 net carbs, great sources of fiber) fit? Is it more about total carbs than net carbs?

Yes, that was rambling, just looking for a little insight from veterans, have been doing research.

Replies

• persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The main benefit I get from Keto is massively reduced hunger and cravings. It enables me to maintain a deficit when usually i give in after few weeks because cravings drive me insane. Keto is my weapon against that which is why I love it.

I would say if you are interest then give it a try and see if it suits you. I would give it a good 4 weeks at least before deciding as first few weeks while body adapts to running on fat as opposed to glucose it can be a bit hard going for some. Keep going though and I find it is great.

I lost loads in first two weeks and now 1-2lb most weeks.

I started out being super strict with carbs keeping net well under 20g and total well under 40g but now concentrate more on net carbs and keep them 15-30g most days but do not worry if my total carbs go over 40 as long as net carbs are under. I stay in ketosis doing this.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You are half way there already....just jump in all the way....you will love it.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    The main benefit I get from Keto is massively reduced hunger and cravings. It enables me to maintain a deficit when usually i give in after few weeks because cravings drive me insane. Keto is my weapon against that which is why I love it.

I would say if you are interest then give it a try and see if it suits you. I would give it a good 4 weeks at least before deciding as first few weeks while body adapts to running on fat as opposed to glucose it can be a bit hard going for some. Keep going though and I find it is great.

I lost loads in first two weeks and now 1-2lb most weeks.

I started out being super strict with carbs keeping net well under 20g and total well under 40g but now concentrate more on net carbs and keep them 15-30g most days but do not worry if my total carbs go over 40 as long as net carbs are under. I stay in ketosis doing this.

Well, my hunger and cravings are controlled as is, since my diet is pretty well balanced percentage wise between fat/protein with the carbs I do eat tending to be high fiber :)

I may. I am headed to the beach next week and may jump in afterwards
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to ask, if I do decide to flip completely over, do things like chia seeds and psyllium husk (0 net carbs, great sources of fiber) fit? Is it more about total carbs than net carbs?

It's 100% about net carbs, chia seeds and psyllium husk are both common recommendations for keto folks who are looking to get more fiber.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options

It's 100% about net carbs, chia seeds and psyllium husk are both common recommendations for keto folks who are looking to get more fiber.

That is awesome. I use both psyllium husk and chia seeds currently.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Most come for the weigh loss but stay for the health, I know I did. A LCHF diet is more effective than any medication. Since I am getting older (hit the half century) I am interested in a good lipid profile, avoiding diabetes, cutting my chances of heart disease and stroke, preventing Alzheimer's and cancer, and keeping my blood pressure under control while basically staying healthy. For me LCHF is the way to achieve all of that. I know that eating this way I am giving my self the best possible chance of having the longest healthy life I can.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    So, I have already lost 77lbs since April 18th, so obviously I am not overly struggling with the weight loss, yet I am flirting with the idea of keto anyway, and the main reason is, I seem to eat fairly low-carb as is.

My net carbs for the last three week work out to about 54 daily, (total-fiber) and my fat is up to about 41-42% of my diet. Protein is about 39-40% (I eat a 1350 calorie plan, it works).

It would require some minor changes, the biggest of which would be: no more Little Big Bread, but I only eat 4-6 slices a week if that anyway. I'd have to jump to full fat cheese from reduced, heavy cream(?) from half and half, full fat greek yogurt (if I continued to eat it), etc...

Most of the fruit I eat currently is raspberries anyway, which as far as I can tell are about as good as it gets fruitwise vis a vis keto.

Yes, that was rambling, just looking for a little insight from veterans, have been doing research.

i love raspberries covered in heavy whipping cream - it is my fav dessert! :love:

i did buy some half/half today to pour over cereal...because i couldn't find low-carb cereal, i bought peanut-butter chocolate South Beach Diet granola bars which are only 5g/carbs each, so i can cut one up into tiny pieces like cereal, the use the half/half as milk!!! can't wait for tomorrow! LOL

i only eat about 10-15g/carbs/day; i use net carbs, not sure what everyone else does.

good luck and welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

That is awesome. I use both psyllium husk and chia seeds currently.

yes, forgot to mention in my p.p. that i have only bought ground chia seeds today. haven't tried them in a recipe yet.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    Have you tested to see if you are in ketosis already? It's not impossible!