Getting ready for Transition

Options
Alchemagician
Alchemagician Posts: 27 Member
Hard to believe, but my goal weight is sneaking up on me! I expect to start transition in mid-late June and have been doing my best to ready myself mentally for it. It's so easy doing 5&1, not so much thinking or choice-making involved, and it's a little nerve-wracking thinking that I won't have that comfortable framework to rely on.

Have been thinking of looking for a TSFL coach to help me with Transition and Maintenance; I've gotten this far on my own doing MF Direct, but it would be helpful to have someone with experience to guide me at this point. Anyone have a good coach they could suggest? I've been in touch with one on the MF boards, but not 100% convinced this is the right one to go with.

My brain still hasn't caught up to my waist. I still instinctively reach for XXL and XL on the rack in stores, and it's weird sometimes to look in the mirror and see this skinny guy staring back at me. :wink:

If anyone who's in transition or maintenance has any tips/suggestions/resources, I'd be very grateful.

Replies

• p0nderful
    p0nderful Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I am a new MFer (one month) and it has been challenging WITH a coach. So I have nothing but admiration for you for accomplishing your loss all by yourself. There are some pretty good coaches on this board, so look around. I hope that you find the one who will help you transition successfully.
    P.
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi. Transition was really tough for me. I hit my goal weight about 6 weeks ago, and started adding a little bit here and there. The problem is that with more freedom came more decisions - and with each decision there is the opportunity to make a bad one. For example, while on the 5&1 my decisions were typically "should I have a s'mores bar? or some mac & cheese" - either way - the results of the decision was the same. (MRPs are all the same basic macro-nutrient profile) but now suddenly I can have a cup of dairy - but is that milk in a latte? fat free greek yogurt? cottage cheese? - and some fruit - is that berries? melons? citrus? apples? - suddenly the choices have more consequences.

Anyway - I went way crooked while on vacation in Hawaii - and came back and had to focus on limiting my choices so that my decisions can all be good ones.

So - I'm now back on week 6 of transition, and within 1 lb of my lowest weight.
  • Alchemagician
    Options
    Yes, those choice have me worried, too. For the longest time, my decisions were easy ones, and I also had the option if I was out with friends of just saying, "No, I can't eat that." Now I'll have to change that to "I don't want to eat that"- when I may really and truly want to eat it, and lots of it!

I am going away this week for a few days and have already decided that while I will be on plan for 95% of the time, I will be having two meals (both dinner) that are not the best choices- one will be at a vegetarian Chinese restaurant, so that won't be too bad, just lots of carbs (brown rice) but the other is going to be Indian food, and I know already I won't be eating anything remotely resembling a Lean and green. I've more or less convinced myself that it's just two meals, it is vacation, I will be on plan most of the time I am away, and I will be back to 100% on plan the moment I get home. I deliberately chose a hotel with a good fitness center so I can continue to do my daily cardio and exercise routine while I am away. But yeah, I worry.
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes, those choice have me worried, too. For the longest time, my decisions were easy ones, and I also had the option if I was out with friends of just saying, "No, I can't eat that." Now I'll have to change that to "I don't want to eat that"- when I may really and truly want to eat it, and lots of it!

My current phrase is: "I don't eat that."

It seems to cover me most of the time :)

419er
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've changed to eating everything protein style. No bun or bread and that really has worked for me. And I upped my exercise to accommodate the fact that I am taking in more food now, and I've been maintaining fine for the last 3 weeks (actually I lost 4 more pounds).
  • Alchemagician
    Options
    I maintained my goal weight for 2 weeks successfully and decided I want to lose a little more. Still have a bit too much fat/flab on the belly, arms and thighs for my own comfort and satisfaction when I look in the mirror. I've been going by BMI to guide me to what my "Goal Weight" should be and now thinking more in terms of body fat percentage.

One thing I am not doing is letting most people know I want to lose more; I'm already sick of people telling me I've gotten too thin (5"5 and 147 lbs is NOT thin by anyone's stretch of the imagination, and I am small-boned as well). I don't need to be told I'm obsessed, wrong, headed towards anorexia, etc etc. I do want to shift focus to build muscle, and would like to give myself an extra 8-10 lb cushion of loss that I can gain back that way.
  • Alchemagician
    Options
    Just an update- I've been several lbs below my goal weight now for almost three months. Goal weight had been 147, and for the past 90 days (depending on what I eat) I've ranged from 140 to 144. I'm happy with where I am now, how my clothes fit and how I feel.

I'm just about done with Transition and more or less considering myself in Maintenance at this point in time. Calculated my TDEE and am working with that. It's been wonderful adding back foods I've missed, especially cheese- and even better to eat it and not gain weight back.

One thing that has helped is realizing after all this time away from some of my big trigger foods, especially pasta, is that although it does taste good, it's not as good as my fantasies about it all these past months made it out to be. And it sits in my stomach like a lead weight forever, or so it seems. So, the temptation to eat lots of pasta isn't there like I'd been afraid it might be.

My other trigger food, peanut butter, I can have without worry thanks to PB2. That stuff is amazing!

So- after a 2 1/2 year on-and-off Medifast journey, I am down 110 lbs and keeping it off without feeling at all like I am depriving myself. I've changed how I eat, what I eat, and have been able to rethink and change my attitudes towards food- and also to find new rewards for myself, where previously I would have used food. I'm healthier and have more energy than I have in my entire adult life.
  • mauraea
    mauraea Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to Medifast, but I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS! This is a really hard program to stick with - especially when dealing with other peoples perception of the program. I mention "low carb" or "reduced calorie" in the same sentence and people start ranting and raving about how I shouldn't eat pork rinds and expect to lose weight. It's a hard game - and a long game - and you've WON! Great job!!!
  • junebugb
    Options
    This is the most inspiring post on Transition that I have read. Thank you, Alchemagician. Also Mauraea, my Medi friend just says she's working on Optimal Health with a health coach to reset her eating habits. I like that!
    I am into Transition by 2 weeks having lost 40 pounds--I'm not thin, but I am at a good place healthwise. I found Medifast easy to work with. If you follow the plan, it works! The failures I have read about have been from people who don't stick with the plan to Maintenance or who are too picky about their food. Is a S'mores bar as good as a candy bar, no, is it good enough for me to be healthier? YES! Same with chili, smoothies, pretzels! Do I care if my hot chocolate and cappuccino are a little lumpy? No! I look great and feel great!
    I will be searching for more tips to coordinate this Transition with MyFitnessPal. I am not sure how to program my goals and what they should be.
    Alchemagician, again, thank you for sharing your successful journey.

(one tip for Transition--I found that adding a half cup of higher carb veggie such as corn, to the Beef Vegetable soup for my lunch or putting Vegetarian Chili over a small microwaved potato worked great)
  • PuggleDoodle
    PuggleDoodle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Alchemagician! Your story is very inspiring. I'm glad I'm not the only one off and on Medifast for the past 2 years. You've proven success is possible even if it takes awhile to get going! I'm back on track for the past week, and hoping to join you as a success story! Best wishes....
  • mictoc2
    mictoc2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Anyone use their new 3-2-1 Thrive products for maintenance?