New here

Options
janhiness
janhiness Posts: 32 Member
So glad I joined this group. I've been lurking all day readig post. I just started the keto diet but so far so good and I lost six pounds already. Since I'm new to this I'd really like if someone who's been doing this for awhile to check out my diary and let me know what you think. I'm trying to keep my carbs low and consume my vegetables as well.

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    welcome:flowerforyou:

i am new, too, so i will leave the diary-looking to the experts.:smile:
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome :)
    http://i.imgur.com/2YC0vbn.gif
    :flowerforyou:

I've sent you a friend request and some email. :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Hi Janhiness,

I've been doing the diet for a month now. I looked at your log and you started out just like I did. :smile: You started a little high on your carbs and I noticed as you went along, you made adjustments. The last three days were stellar!

I have a goal of 25g of carbs and its hard for me. I am a carboholic. I love the low carb plant foods like green beans, broccoli, pecans, etc, but I still have to be careful with them too. Early on, I bought a watermelon (thinking it was mainly water) and then when I looked at the carbs in just a cupful (11g) ~ I haven't cut it open yet. LOL! I usually eat a slice two inches thick (probably 10 cups). But I guess its the natural sugars in it that send it over the top. If I only ate a cup of it a day, it would go bad before I ate it all.

Please note that your first week on Keto will be the best, as most of it is water loss. So do not get discouraged if next week you don't do as well, even if you do as good or better than this week. I guess it will take me another month or two to really get adjusted. I am learning from this group many many do's and don'ts.

Keep up the good work! :wink:

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'm only 3 weeks into keto so I won't comment on your diary - also leave that to the experts. But I sent you a friend request. :)
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Please note that your first week on Keto will be the best, as most of it is water loss. So do not get discouraged if next week you don't do as well, even if you do as good or better than this week. I guess it will take me another month or two to really get adjusted. I am learning from this group many many do's and don'ts.

i agree. i lost 5 lbs in my first week. i know that won't continue. be patient! :smile:
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new to MFP, but I've been doing keto on and off since april.

I think your journal of those last three days is very good. If I can just make one suggestion is to replace sugar or sodium by fiber, this way you will be able to calculate your net carb.

The 20g of carb a day you are allowed to take excludes the fiber, so don't be afraid of the occasional berries with that whipped cream.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hello, looks like you are off to a great start. I have been doing this 10 weeks and so far really happy with results. I might add in tracking fiber colum to diary to make it easy to track net carbs if you increase carbs a bit at some point but your carbs are so low now that it is not an issue for now. :smile:
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I peeked in your diary and thought I was looking at my own certain days!! Seems like were on the same path, and both very new to this!

I have found this group and the other low carb groups to be so very helpful. It gets easier, and while second week weight loss does slow a bit, I think having the reduced cravings and suppressed appetites helps us to keep going without losing motivation.

I agree with what others say about adding fiber as a column, especially if you are in the US. I guess the food labels and carb counts are different here.

Good luck!
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Been doing this about a month. This group awesome. If you ask for help, you will get it.
    Everything else has already been said.
  • Adtirey
    Options
    I'm about 21 days in and 18 lbs down. I wouldn't consider myself a pro at all, so I'll decline comment on a diary, as I personally keep struggling with getting enough fiber. Good start and welcome to it!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm about 21 days in and 18 lbs down. I wouldn't consider myself a pro at all, so I'll decline comment on a diary, as I personally keep struggling with getting enough fiber. Good start and welcome to it!

Wow that is a great loss! How have you felt? I think I have noticed during periods where I get my carbs consistently low for a few days, I feel pretty crappy, but then I lose the most weight during those periods. So I assume it's my body pushing out the weight, and am curious if it's unique to me or a general concept.

Thx.