Recommiting

Options
Howbouto
Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
Ok I'm recommitting. I am prepping today and starting tomorrow (but I still am keeping it as grain and sugar free as possible). I feel amazing on paleo but cannot keep it together. Any suggestions on keeping it together? I think my biggest problem is I'm very all or nothing (and I'm very addicted to sugar.)

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I've recently recommitted after being a couple of months off and I was completely miserable! As far as keeping it together, plan ahead if you can. And since you're an all-or-nothing type of person, think about transitioning into Paleo by cutting out "bad" foods one at a time. Don't spend too much time thinking about and enjoy all of the great food that will benefit your body.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Since you say you are addicted to sugar, I'd say have some dark chocolate every day. I find if I have dark chocolate (I eat lindt 70% dark) I don't crave any more sweets. I can totally relate, and that's a big reason why I don't eat grains anymore. It's never enough! I recommend committing paleo, or primal, for at least a couple weeks straight to really get the full benefit. Look up some recipes with ingredients that are appetizing for you and then make them. Have fun with it! Also, don't be hard on yourself. If you mess up, you mess up. Pick up and keep continuing forward.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Read about Mark Sisson's 80/20 principle. It's not permission to cheat, it's permission to keep going if you happen to stray.

As has already been said, plan ahead! It's amazing how much that planning helps. Tomorrow we're going to a birthday celebration with a taco bar and a pie bar (bring your own pie). I'm going to bring my own meat (no taco seasoning, i.e. nightshades that make my joints hurt), my own guacamole (basically just avocado, onion, and lime juice), and my own paleo-friendly pie. It'll keep me from being tempted to eat things that hurt me.

Check out cookbooks like Well Fed and Well Fed 2. I forget the author's website, but in those books, and on her website, she has suggestions for cooking ahead -- spending an hour, twice a week, prepping foods that make for quick, easy meals the following three days.

Eat foods you love, but don't get in a rut of eating the same few foods over and over.

I second the dark chocolate. I eat 85% dark chocolate, and find a small amount greatly satisfying.

(Went looking for the website. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/paleo-101/ Look at the link "The Method Behind the Madness" for cooking ahead tips.)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It's not permission to cheat, it's permission to keep going if you happen to stray.

Thank you, for some reason this really reasonated with me. I have not been perfect but I have been better!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to the life! You know this stuff works so that part is easy, I find getting really angry at the items you want to drop makes this easier. You know what it does to you, right? Enough reason to get angry yet? If that is not enough, read a book like Wheat Belly that will get you to the right place I assure you.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was so glad to read that you are recommitting. I had been 100% Paleo for about a year. I lost all my weight and felt great. Then, I fell off the wagon...and the wagon actually ran me over. I gained all the weight back plus more. Now, I have been 100% back since July. I feel so much better and most of my auto-immune issues are resolving themselves. I never want to rely on medication only good food.

All this to say that this is an amazing lifestyle choice, and I am happy you are making it. If you would like to add me (or any Paleo people), I would love that!!! Best of luck to you on your journey!! ~Skye :flowerforyou:
  • smittysgirl4ever
    smittysgirl4ever Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wow Skye, I feel like I could have written this post, as my situation is exactly the same. I lost 30 lbs on Paleo and felt great, but threw myself off of the wagon full speed and gained all of my weight back. I, too, have recently recommitted and am hoping to get my autoimmune issues under control. And I am really hoping this forum will help to keep me on track.

Good luck to all of you... or should I say rather, stay strong and focused on your goals :) I look forward to hearing about all of your successes!!! :)

Kellie
  • welderftw
    Options
    Congratulations on the recommitment. The first step is always the hardest. Also a great thing about life is that tomorrow is another day. We slipped up, but the next day we can regroup, focus, and get back on track. The tips here are great as well, Wheat Belly is a great book and will surely keep you on track. Congratulations again.