How to adjust macros?

Options
KetoGirl83
KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
Hi everyone! I think I'm not doing this right, someone please help!

MFP created some nutritional goals for me but they're clearly not keto goals:
Net Calories: 1,410 cal/day
Carbs/Day: 176g
Fat/Day: 47g
Protein/Day: 71g

I went to the keto calculator as recommended by several people and the results are a bit baffling:
1920 cal/day
25g carbs (5%, 100cal)
100g protein (21%, 400 cal)
158g fat (74%, 1420 cal)
Assuming this is right, why the 500cal more? I don't think I can eat that much with all the fat.

Anyway, I've inputted these values to MFP and apparently I'm still eating too much carbs, mostly from endives. But I had seen Atkins rate endives at 1 carb per head, here they are 17?

And I'm failing miserably at getting enough fiber, what do you all do? Where to get fiber without carbs?

Very confused. :ohwell:

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a carb. You can't eat it without consuming carbs. But, you can subtract fiber from your carbs. So, it doesn't count. If you eat 10g of pure fiber, you can consider it as 0g of net carbs.

The calorie level is probably because MFP is notorious for giving really low calorie goals. If the keto-calculator tells you that you'll have success at that level, start there. Don't worry about MFP.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. What would be the best sources of fiber, in your experience?

Do you have any suggestions to ease me into the 158g of fat, it really looks like an enormous quantity.

Is this 5%, 21%, 74% normal results for someone that has to lose a lot of weight?
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You can change your mfp goals go to my home, goals, change goals green button at bottom of page, select custom then continue, change the settings for carb, fat, protein % and any others you want to change, then click on change goals green button at bottom of screen. Your food diary goals will then be closer to ketogenic goals but not necessarily perfect, can play around with it to get close as you can but mostly i just keep a note of what my goals are and do not pay too much attention to mfp targets accept to use mfp as a monitoring system to reach my personal keto and calorie targets not mfp targets..

The keto calculator recomends very small calorie deficit for very gradual weight loss. Personally I imputed a goal closer to mfp recommendation for my selection of 2lb per week loss. I usually lose 1 or 2lb a week. For first several weeks just for a rough guide i set my mfp settings to total carbs set at 5%, protien 20% and fat 75% on mfp. % does not really matter so much though as is very relative to the total amount of calories. I concentrated on keeping my net carbs (Carbohydrate total minus fiber total = net carbs) under 20g per day often way under just first few weeks. I aimed to get the amount of protein recommended by keto calculator and i made up the rest of my calories with healthy fats.

Now 10 weeks in and reasonably confident that i am ketogenic adapted. As a rough guide I have set my mfp goals as 15% carbs, 25% protein and 60% fat. I now aim to keep my net carbs under 35g max, my protein still the amount recommended for me on keto calculator and still make up rest of calories from healthy fats.

I would say do not pay too much attention to mfp total numbers. Just start by getting your net carbs down to 20 or under, meet your protein needs and then hit whatever your calorie goal is by filling in the rest with healthy fats. some people do not even worry about calorie goals first few weeks, just get used to new way of eating and then bring in paying attention to calorie goal.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ps, my diary is open, i get fiber from lots of green veg and avocado.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Thank you, your first macros were then very similar to mine, that's a relief.

I'm going to peek at your diary for ideas. Can you please have a look at mine and tell me if my choices have been roughly ok?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fiber. It's not something I have as a goal. But, leafy green veggies, metamucil, flax meal, etc. are all good sources.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Thank you. :flowerforyou:
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Assuming this is right, why the 500cal more? I don't think I can eat that much with all the fat.

Based on the BMI you'd mentioned in your first thread I'm guessing 1400 calories was always too low for you :) The keto calc that generates your macros is trying to suggest a range of reasonable and sustainable calorie deficits.
    Do you have any suggestions to ease me into the 158g of fat, it really looks like an enormous quantity.

I love cheese, I put a little cream cheese and shredded cheese in my eggs every morning, and of course enjoy my bacon. If I want a salad I use a creamy, high fat/low carb dressing (caesar/blue cheese for me). I eat chicken thighs with the skin on, instead of skinless breasts. I buy 85/15 or 80/20 beef instead of the lean stuff. I mainly snack on almonds/pork rinds/salami/cheese when i want snacks.

Also its important to note that you don't *have* to eat all that fat. The rule is to make sure you limit your carbs under the amount set, try to get your protein (exactly ideally, but whatever, just get close), and then eat as much fat as you need to feel full.

Is this 5%, 21%, 74% normal results for someone that has to lose a lot of weight?

It is. It can be confusing because MyFitnessPal likes to deal in percentages, but its really helpful for many people to not worry about the ratios at all, and just worry about the absolute numbers, how many grams of each.

You're welcome to look at my diary too, its public. I do intermittent fasting and typically eat two large meals a day with a snack or two somewhere in there. I like to keep it as simple as possible, nothing very fancy for me or nothing that takes a ton of time to prepare, so you can see the choices I make to accomplish that.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    @radiii thank you for your detailed reply.

The BMI I posted was found somewhere else and is higher than the value I found when calculating the macros. I tried to go back and correct the post but I think there must be a time limit to edit. But whatever, the new number (55) is still a huge burden. I'm making a list of all the suggestions and will try to use as many as possible in the next days' meals.

:flowerforyou: