Phase 1 Pain / Injury

Options
sdkyne
sdkyne Posts: 77 Member
Ugh. Was doing great on Week 1 and 2. Moved onto 3 and 4, then BAM. Neck, shoulder, arm, lower back have been rotating pain around to each other. I stopped the workout immediately. This morning is the first morning without any pain, but I can feel it hovering out there. Tomorrow I think I will go back to Week 1 and 2 for the rest of the week and see how I do.

Any suggestions from others who have successfully worked their way thru a similar situation with BR?

Thanks,
Sharon

Replies

• Carisdulce
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. Wish you a quick recovery.
    Could you please share links to videos you are using? I just joined the message board for Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, but not sure where I'm suppose to go for videos. :/ Stay safe. God bless.
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

Oooooh I am feeling your pain. :sad: I pulled my shoulder working through 30 Day Shred Level 3 and again in Body Revolution and I do get sore knees (although this actually has improved in the last few weeks). Obviously I'm still figuring out how to get the most out of Jillian without wrecking myself LOL. I stick with it though because I love the results.

I'm in Workout 7&8 now and determined to get through workouts 11 & 12 injury-free and feeling great, but it will have to be in my own time and with changes to avoid past mistakes. Stuff that seems to work:

* Rest after injury, which you are already doing and which I should have done earlier on.

* Modify like crazy. Funnily enough I don't seem to get injured when I go at my own pace instead of the pace set by professional athlete/dancers who are all in their 20s and 30s. Go figure :laugh: . Also in future I will avoid stuff that I know will hurt my shoulder - any twisty plank moves are a no-no until I'm stronger. (I'm cringing at how obvious all of this sounds in retrospect)

* Glucosamine supplement - holy crap these actually seem to work. I've been taking them for only 3 weeks but my knees/joints are definitely less sore. This could be placebo effect, increased muscle gain leading to less pressure on knees or a combo of the above. My lean body mass is still really low though, so I'm starting from a low baseline, LOL. I've also lost 14 pounds in the last 2 1/2 months and that probably helps too. Overall though, I do think that at least some of the benefit is coming from the glucosamine given that over this time I've also massively increased my high impact exercise intensity and endurance; I'm working through JMBR and the C25K programme at the same time and am on Workout 7/8 of JMBR and am at the end of the 5k training, so running 4-5k distance 3 times a week these days. Normally I would expect a lot of knee pain but right now I have none (!). I've ordered more glucosamine for the winter months.

Also this, which I have just ordered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-Fitness-60034-Pushup-Stands/dp/B000N3T1C2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411555324&sr=8-3&keywords=push+up+stands

Push up stands to take strain off of wrists - genius. I can't wait to try these.

If anyone else has advice or tips (such as recommendations for modifying certain exercises) I also would love to hear them.

-Boxfish
  • sdkyne
    Options
    Carisduice- I ordered mine from Amazon, I am not sure if you can find them for free on YouTube. http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-05-59144-Jillian-Michaels-Revolution/dp/B0091UIMK0

Boxfish- Thanks for the advice. I hear you about going at your own pace and not that of professional athletes in their 30's! LOL. I am going to check out the gluco and the push up stands!

I just have a twinge in the lower back now. Jogging seemed to aggravate that a little earlier in the week. Everything else seems better, now I just have to get my brain back into the routine.
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've had the JMBR DVD's for about 3 years now. The first year I started (in September), I started having knee pain around the last end of Phase 1, and really started to bother me beginning of Phase 2. I stopped the workouts and the pain went away.

A year later, I started the DVD's again in September, and again, I began to have the knee pain but this time, it was twice as painful :cry: . Just walking, sitting down, in the morning. I felt like I was 90 (I'm 28). I started to modify and do other things in place of certain exercises, in hopes I could continue the workouts but the pain was to much. I stopped the DVD's but this time the pain never went away. :grumble:

I ended up going to an Orthopedic to find out what was going on and I had chondromalacia patella in both my knees:noway: . I was advised to stop all exercises and go to a couple of physical therapy appointments to learn what kind of stretching exercises I could do on my own to help my knees. Within a month my pain was gone.

I'm going to start again on Monday but will not do squats/lunges -- those, with the constant repetitive motions is what caused the knee pain.

I'm determined to finish this 12 week program this time around, without pain this time :smile:
  • boxfish100
    Options
    Hi KMJ - wow, I googled chondromalacia patella and my knees hurt just reading about it. I'm glad you have sorted it out. Please keep posting about how things are going with the Jilly programme when you get back to it (if you don't mind) - I know that I for one would be interested to know what kinds of modifications work well for various exercises! That said, if you figure that JMBR is too risky to continue with it then it makes sense to find something else and more power to you for figuring out what makes you healthy/fit and what doesn't. :D

SK - hope that my long screed didn't come across as Advice, more just sharing my experience of similar issues! I'm figuring out how to get through without injury as I go along and getting it wrong sometimes. Heh. I am sticking with it because just recently I figured out that I really like working out with DVDs (only Jillian so far) and I like circuit training; I'm planning to try P90x3 next but might do another round of Jillian before 'graduating' to Tony Horton.

At least that dude is 55 years old.
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to starting again. I seen great results each time I've completed Phase 1. The pain started just around week 2, beginning of week 3. I just youtubed some videos how to modify lunges and squats and I might try that, thinking about the pain makes me cringe haha I'll keep posted on how things are going once I get into it again. :smile:
  • sdkyne
    Options
    Boxfish, you crack me up.

KMJ- please let us know how the modified squats work out for you and your knees.
  • karrindrwd
    karrindrwd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always threw in an extra workout on the cardio day of some yoga. I usually do vinyasa, but while I'm doing this program I go for something a little slower paced that focuses more on stretching. You could youtube some good shoulder yoga videos and warm up with sun salutations. Personally I don't think her cool downs are long enough for the body to actually cool down properly, so maybe add a 3-5 minute cool down/stretching video at the end, there are TONS online that you can do easily.
  • boxfish100
    Options
    Yoga is a great idea - I will have a look. Are there any programmes in particular that you think are good for complete yoga novices? I'm a bit leery of picking something out that looks good to my untrained eye but will cause damage (I've noticed quite a few 'bootcamp' style youtube workouts have terrible form).
    I started running again too and hope you get great results with the combo. I'm still at early stages with the running (literally have gone from Couch to 5k over the last 9 weeks and it has been a lot of fun).