Arm Balance Poses HELP

Options
I've been doing a yoga challenge this month and there are a few arm balance poses in it. I'm a total newbie with arm poses. Anyone have any tips on that? Like crow pose and hurdler's pose and things like that?

Replies

• yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    core and arm strength are both important in arm balances. for working on crow you can start out in baby crow (forearms down) because that seems less scary if you fall forwards. then if you want to kick it up a notch place your hands flat on the floor shoulder width apart and place a block about a foot in front of you, making a triangle. this is where you can rest your head when you first try crow. make sure to get your knees as close to your armpits as possible and give it a go!
    but the most important thing really is core and engaging your abs!
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I personally find baby crow a lot more difficult than regular crow. I think my face being that close to the ground freaks me out!

For crow, you gotta get your knees as far up on your tricep as possible, and then bend your arms like chaturunga, a LOT. You need that shelf to balance on. Then try just lifting one foot at a time. It takes awhile, but you will get there.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Work your way up to them if you don't get it and balance right away. Using crow as an example: keep your feet on the ground, then lift one foot at a time, then barely touch a toe, then lift off.

Keep your abs tight. This helps with all balance.
  • MyNewZen
    MyNewZen Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You just have to do them over and over and over.....

Balance takes a long time to learn, especially if you have to build the strength for it at the same time.

But hand balances can be the most rewarding and fun thing to practice so stick with it!
  • esmaythemermaid
    esmaythemermaid Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Update: a month and a half later, and I got both feet off the ground! Thanks everyone!! namaste~
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Great Job!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yay!