Hypothyroidism and Levothyroxine

Options
Hi

I have just been diagnosed with serve hypothyroidism and been perscribed 50 of levothyroxine. Ive not yet started taking it as will this make me gain weight? Im really worried! Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    The thyroid issue of weight gain is not related to the medication it is related to the slowing of the metabolism by the less active thyroid. If you have not gained weight as one of your personal issues the medication should start to delay that tendency. Your starting dose is 50, you will have been advised to have a follow up test at about 6 or 8 weeks unless earlier is indicated but it takes a month probably 6 weeks to make much of a difference. The levels in the follow up test will possibly, probably where there is significant under function, indicate taking a larger dose then you will see how you are on this one till you find the right levels, all being well.

All the very best and the hope the issues which led to the diagnosis will be brought in hand soon.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You're lucky if you haven't gained any weight yet having hypo. I wasn't so lucky. ugh
  • cindyrunner
    cindyrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Check out the book Stop The Thyroid Madness. There is so much information in that book.. It has helped me so much.. It helped me finally find the right doctor.. I was on Levothyroxine for over 10 years and didn't understand why I still had so many symptoms of Hypothyroidism... I am finally taking Dissicated Thyroid and it is helping so much better.. Only been on it for 2 months. Stop The Thyroid Madness also has a web site.. Lots of great information there...:flowerforyou:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My doctor prefers synthroid brand and not the generic (levothyroxine). I also started cytomel which makes me feel much better. Cytomel. T3 and T4 levels need to be checked. If you are going to a G.P. ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. G.P. can not handle thyroid correctly, no matter how much they assure you that they can.....they can't....
    Low thyroid will cause weight gain. You might find it easier to loose weight if your thyroid is well controlled. Different medications work for different people....I do not think there is one book or one way to deal with this problem. It is very individual.
    Feel better!
  • FrancescaWebb
    FrancescaWebb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I started taking Levo in May and I have dropped about 20 pounds since then. Its the only thing that has helped me lose weight! It also helped my mental clarity, hair loss, etc.

Everyone is different so if you do gain weight, go back and see your doctor. You should only see positive results.
  • giantkoko
    giantkoko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism a few weeks ago and my doctor started me on the same dose as you. It's only been 3 days so I can't give any personal anecdotes yet, but fuzzipeg's post pretty much nailed it.

I actually have already been feeling like I have more energy and the scale has gone down a few pounds but I also started going to the gym recently and watching my carb intake.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have just been diagnosed with serve hypothyroidism and been perscribed 50 of levothyroxine. Ive not yet started taking it as will this make me gain weight? Im really worried! Thanks for any help.

Start taking it right away! Thyroid health is about more than weight gain or loss. And with good eating and exercise, Levo could even help you lose weight.
  • arguest83
    arguest83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've also just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I started 50mcg of Levothyroxine 4 days ago. I was diagnosed after a routine physical. I hadn't complained about any symptoms since I was writing them off on being overweight or getting older (even though I'm only 31). It's nice to know that isn't the case. I'm looking forward to feeling better but I am a little worried about my hair thinning from the Levothyroxine. That is the one symptom I didn't have.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hair loss can result from both hyper and hypo thyroid. The levothyroxine doesn't cause hair loss, hair loss my be a symptom that the med is not correctly balanced as the system is hyper or hypo. I had a ton of hair falling out, it was what finally caused my doc to test me, in addition to being unable to move a pound. Now that I am up to 100mcg, the hair loss is finally slowing down.
  • arguest83
    arguest83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Temporary hair loss was listed as a side effect of the medication. I know I've seen others mention hair loss being caused by Levothyroxine.
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's not really the medication causing hair loss, it's your body adjusting to it and to better thyroid levels. I don't know of anyone who experienced that.

Taking the thyroid meds is going to bring your levels back into normal healthy range. If you were losing rapidly because of a thyroid problem you may plateau or gain a couple pounds initially but I wouldn't worry about it. The thyroid affects way more then weight (eye health, nails, hair, hormone balance, digestion, and so much more) and needs to be at healthy levels.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Not everyone will have hair loss as a reaction to levothyroxine, many only have benefits. I agree, temporary hair loss can be natural adjustment to new hormone levels. The thyroid regulates so many of our bodies systems and I think we have to wait for our systems to repair the "important" ones in what ever hierarchy it decides, unfortunately. I realise the idea of thinning hair is disturbing but for me to set the possibility against the other, worse thyroid symptoms I have, which I would love to see gone, salicylate toxicity veering into chemical sensitivity so I not only have to restrict the foods I eat but also avoid gatherings, because of the domestic and personal hygiene smells which are external toxins which my body can't cope with, even with masks at times.

The chemical sensitivity became more of an issue since I was unable to tolerate levothyroxine in tablet form and was not permitted it without maize, the filler/binder and it pushes into insignificance my other thyroid related problems. Now I am on liquid levothyroxine, because I saw and endocrinologist, he didn't do allergies. I had to remind him of his responsibility for toxin elimination!. Now I have improved lung function, not diminished as when I tried the pill form and the medical response had been to take another product to make it better again. Counter intuitive. I walked away.

I know I'm at the "Edge of Science" my immunologist told me so. My system has been pushed this far and so this is conjecture on my part. Others like myself could find the additional salicylate from the maize starch in their pills could be enough to increase their degree of toxic response to salicylate and therefore increase the pressure on their thyroid. Some may be better able to utilise the pill form of medication than I was when I took originally it. So in time there will be sufficient levothyroxine in their systems to balance the higher intake of salicylate and eliminate it, particularly if they are at a higher dose. (I was 60 and because of this I was started at a very very low dose). Someone who reacts to aspirin for example which has salicylate as the active ingredient, or someone who is asthmatic who is probably advised to avoid aspirin because it can effect their breathing, may also have issues with salicylate. I discovered the thyroid- salicylate connection on a thyroid support site. Also it is now being recognised that maize starch can be one of those things a person with reducing thyroid function might report. Thyroid UK was good, STTM too, and Salicylate Sensitivity helped with the salicylate.

One thing is for certain, we're all different, we all have our "pet" symptoms, probably our own list of stories of how we were disregarded as hypochondriacs, being over anxious, depressive, getting older or your female and its what you have to put up with, and we have our own ways of reconciling them.