Perimenopause and weight loss

Options
Binnee95
Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
Hi Everyone,

Still kind of new here...Only been here a bit over a month but only lost 8 pounds. Actually lost 8 pounds and gained back 3.pounds. I just can't seem to do this... I am getting so discouraged and have begun overeating.
I have lost weight before but this seems impossible! I am eating close or a little over my calories and exercising and nothing!
How does anybody do this going through peri-menopause?
Can anybody give me some words of encouragement and words of experience? I don't want quick weight loss but I'd like something more to show for the work I am putting in. It is very hard for me to exercise due to lower back/hip pain and I am pushing myself through the pain for what seems like nothing!
Thank you for any support and information! And if you would like add me as a friend. I not usually this down and will give support and motivation! :) I log on everyday and I will not quit this battle! I just want better results.

Replies

• glynie12
    glynie12 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    aw....i totally relate. i too have been hard at this every day for about 5 weeks and have lost 5 lbs. ive been exercising 4-5 times a week so i know ive lost some inches but have not taken any measurements yet.
    it is very frustrating as our bodies seem to not want to let go of this extra body fat gained thanks to menopause!
    hot flashes are horrible.
    ive heard its tough, but didn't believe it til now.
    but,,,,,we must keep going. we must stay healthy and whatever the scale says, we must focus on us!
  • jkmccrea1
    Options
    we must keep going. we must stay healthy and whatever the scale says, we must focus on us!

I haven't hit that wall yet, but I agree we must keep moving forward and focus on what is important, us.

I'd also like to add that maybe a change in routine might help a little; try a new form of exercise or find a good trainer. The trainer at our company gym was awesome. I told her before boot camp about the things that my body just won't do, like backward lunges or too much jumping (my knees are like the tin man). By knowing these things she would come up to me and say I want you to do this while the rest of the group was doing something else. This way I felt part of the class and felt good that someone actually cared about me getting a workout in without hurting myself. The bottom line is, your workouts shouldn't be hurting you.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in menopaus group and seemed fitting for this thread also :)

I am two years into this journey. I'm still trying to find my niche as to what will work for me because what used to work, doesn't anymore! I've gained and trying to keep my spirits up and my motivation up in spite of that is hard. I have a cousin who is about 5 years older than me and she has gone through this all. And now I remember when she put on the extra weight, she was always pretty slim. She said you just can't give in to it even when you aren't seeing the results that you want. After she went one year without a period she started seeing the weight come off. Now she is back to her normal weight. So I keep telling myself to keep my eye on a few years down the line. Instead of letting myself go completely because of being discouraged that at least I will not have so much work to do when I have completed my menopause. So I just keep on trucking. I'm at the phase where I will have a normal period for two months, then nothing for two months, then a period that feels like its ripping out my insides. I do not want to use any hormones and so I've been doing as natural as I can. I have been using Estroven for weight loss in the mornings and it does seem to help me have more energy.

What I have found is that carbs are not my friend any more. When I eat carb heavy (pasta, pizza, mashed potatoes, fried foods), it sends me into a carb frenzy craving. So though I try to not cut any one thing completely out of my diet. I do find that if I splurge on carbs it takes me longer to get back to eating healthier.

Sabine posted a link to a blog that was right on. I copied it and saved it and I am going to read it every day to remind myself. I have just started doing more walking (relaxation walking), hitt type running exercises and New Rules for Women which is a weight lifting program that usually has me in and out of the gym in 20 min. So it was encouraging to read that I am doing the right things.

I bought a fitbit to help me with moving more and accountability and it seems to be helping keep me on track. Its hard at this age, at least for the majority of us. I am not within the 10% or whatever it is of women that don't gain and lose by eating and exercising moderately.

Hang in there and know that it will come to an end!
  • Breezy929
    Breezy929 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is me! I'm 43 and in peri and it's awful. Put on 20 pounds over night and they refuse to budge, I lose 2 pounds and gain it right back. The night sweats, mood swings and crankiness are not helping either.

I stick to 1200 calories a day, Zumba 3 times a week, back to running again. Why won't the scale budge?
  • jenm0611
    jenm0611 Posts: 13
    Options
    I went through surgical menopause at the age of 36 and of course got put on those LOVELY hormone replacement pills, which totally destroyed my thyroid function and my metabolism. I am now 5 months post HRT and I am finding all I have to do it look at a cake and I gain weight.

I have tried so many diets over the past 6 years that I think I have print outs 4 feet deep. Nothing works......until I was home after my accident and got stuck watching an episode of Dr. Oz. I do not want to sound like an infomercial but what they said really made sense and I have been doing it for 8 days now. I know 8 days isn't anything but I have lost 6 pounds so far with very little exercise (I still don't have medical clearance to do anything other than walking).

According to Dr. Oz and his dietitians you have to eat in reverse. All of our lives we have been trained to eat our carb heavy meals at night to "get a good nights sleep", but most people are only up for maybe 3-4 hours after dinner not allowing your body any time to burn those carbs off so we store them.....and continue to store them every day. The way they explained it is that we need to eat our carb heavy meal in the morning, a "mix" in mid day then protein or a vegetable meal for dinner. The protein at night will allow you to have the energy burst you need to get through your evening but will not be a heavy meal that will cause your other organs to work so much harder right before they go into the "repair cycle" of sleep as Dr. Oz called it.

It was the first time a meal plan actually made sense to me. I can see how eating carbs in the morning allows your body 16 hours to but those sugars off before going to bed. I have also completely gotten away from all carbonated beverages. I have so much more energy and I don't feel sluggish. I am waking up before my alarm in the mornings and find myself "ready" to go. Oh and my pants don't bulge out at my "pooch" anymore. I don't look like I just had a baby. I am supposed to eat 1200 calories a day but I am eating 5 times a day and even on a cheat day (which seems to be any night my husband is supposed to cook), I have never gone over 100 calories.

As for the night sweats they have decreased but I have also added primrose and melatonin. Primrose helps with the night sweats and melatonin helps you unwind and sleep at night.

I weight in tomorrow so I will let you guys know if the loss is continuing or if it is too good to be true
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to lose but these last pounds, combined with middle age, are a beast! My weight has gone up, down, up..... the same 2-3 freaking pounds for about a month! I eat a 50 (carb), 30 (fat), and 20 (protein) diet. I have pretty much eaten this my whole life. I've also been fairly athletic also. I'm being good about not eating gluten to control my Celiac . My intestines have healed up enough to allow me to absorb all those wonderful nutrients like calcium, always a good thing, and excess calories, not such a good thing! I was able to eat a raw spinach salad without feeling like I was going to die so I'm willing to diet the excess calories off, eventually! This is a marathon not a sprint for sure:smile: .
  • Binnee95
    Binnee95 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That eating in reverse sounds good to me. I am not very hungry in the morning, but it's worth a try!
  • deeziner
    deeziner Posts: 2
    Options
    This is me. I've just come off my night sweats 'cycle'. Horrible, turns me into someone I don't even know and I fantasize about getting some much needed sleep. The scale just does not move despite my best efforts. Eventually in one of my sullen moods I overeat and then that really doesn't help. Nothing works for sleeping or night sweats and I'm not considering HRT. I am feeling more like myself now, having recently had a normal period. I feel this is going to be an uphill battle and a long road as the perimenopause must be affecting my weight, or is it lack of sleep? Its great to get some support I just want to be myself again.
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    I had good luck with the Estroven Nighttime for helping the night sweats and sleep issues. Nothing has helped the weight loss yet. But I am now trying a progesterone cream and a supplement for weight loss from Uni-Key. The supplement is more of a minerals and vitamins pill - not a weight loss in the respect that it has anything to make you jittery since I cannot do those type of pills. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • brr7907
    brr7907 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much For your post. This yo-yoing has been very discouraging, especially with the mood swings of peri on top of it. I've been trying magnesium , and they've really seemed to help with the night sweats
  • luvopera
    luvopera Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had good luck with the Estroven Nighttime for helping the night sweats and sleep issues. Nothing has helped the weight loss yet. But I am now trying a progesterone cream and a supplement for weight loss from Uni-Key. The supplement is more of a minerals and vitamins pill - not a weight loss in the respect that it has anything to make you jittery since I cannot do those type of pills. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I also had good results with Estroven. Didn't help with weight loss, despite what the packaging said, but is great for mood and night sweats. I also take St. John's Wart for mood swings.
  • torrance86
    torrance86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this message board! Your personal issues sound like mine. I have been dealing with perimenopause for the last 4 years and I'm only 46! I got used to the hot flashes but the night sweats have hit hard this past year - enough for me to literally get out of bed and change my pj's and sheets! It just plain sucks! And the weight gain and lack of sex drive is taking it's toll on me. I have to do something and soon. I hate to take any medicines for anything. I tried changing my diet to mostly clean food (not extreme), I still cheat here and there but not much change. Don't get me wrong, I feel better without all those processed foods and I know it's better for me, this I will continue but the night sweats are still happening, multiple times each night. In 2010 I took Remifemin and I thought it worked but it wasn't long before the symptoms were back so I quit taking it.

I'm miserable. My clothes don't fit, I'm grumpy all the time and have no energy. I feel like I am covered in cellulite on my backside, almost over night! I used to walk all the time but since new job duties I'm at a desk 9-10 hours/day. I try to get out and walk 1-2 times a week and I take a Zumba class once a week (hopefully twice a week starting this week). I need motivation! I need suggestions. Daily menus would even help. After reading one post about eating your good carbs in the morning and more protein at night - I think I will definitely try this. We grew up thinking supper/dinner was the biggest meal - WRONG! I would gladly take suggestions and advice. I literally feel 25 inside but my body is aging fast, ugh!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I am in perimenopause as well,Im 40 and just now losing the weight again after a 8 month plateau. If you are exercising you need to make sure your calorie are where they are supposed to be(the more you exercise the more calories your body needs for fuel) if you cant lose it see your Dr as thyroid issues can mimic peri menopause IE:the weight gain.the hot flashes,mood swings,which also can be from low iron (which the iron and thyroid can go hand in hand).Also have the Dr run a hormone level to see if any of your hormones are too high or too low.

I wouldnt use over the counter products as sometimes they can make things worse(the fake estrogen from soy and pregnant mares urine in premarin(seriously look it up).look up natural alternatives for your symptoms and try those as well and see how they work.just do research and you will see there are a LOT of better alternatives out there but of course speak to a Dr first.
  • jchrisman717
    Options
    Welcome Torrence - we are neighbors -- feel free to friend request me. I feel your pain. I tried so many different things and my last post about the UNI-Key product. Well nope nothing - didn't make me feel better, didn't make me lose weight. Then I got to reading more on it and it says you MAY have to take it for 3 month or longer to see results.

So when I went for my annual I talked to my GYN about all my issues and we decided to try going back on a low dose birth control pill. He said I could stay on it for about another 5 years without any issues and then we can re-evaluate (I just turned 50). I am on my 2nd month and I have to tell you I feel better than I have in the last couple years. More like myself, my mood swings are pretty much gone. No hot flashes and definitely more energy. I have not lost weight and in fact feel like I've gained a little but I think that's from other things that have gone on in my world. So I'm starting to incorporate eating healthy and exercise back in and see where that gets me. And I love knowing when I am going to start and having a small period. It had gotten to the point that I never knew when or if I would have one and the anticipation was terrible, and then when I did it would be so heavy I thought I needed a blood transfusion.

I didn't really want to do bc again, but hey - its been around for a long time and has minimal side effects and just the emotional and mood swings going away is enough for me.

I definitely think staying away from processed foods as much as you can and eating higher proteins make a difference. I was doing IIFYM for a while and may go back to it as I felt better the way my macros were set which was keeping my carbs at a specific amount each day and aiming to get my protein a little higher each day. I've also just incorporated drinking 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar (with the Mother) twice a day and I feel better just in the last two days I've done that. I do a glass in the morning and a glass before dinner. Now I just need to get back to doing my protein shakes w/psyllum seed husk and get back on my workout schedule!