PCOS and normal weight...help!

Options
Hi all, I am new to this forum and just recently was diagnosed with PCOS. My husband and I are trying to conceive so I am on my first day of Metformin. Dr mentioned I will also be taking Clomid once I start my period. I always suspected I might have PCOS as my periods were always somewhat irregular and my sister's periods are very irregular. My mother also had to take Clomid to conceive. My question is, I know there is a high risk factor of developing diabetes and CVD with PCOS and losing weight can help with the condition. But, what can normal weight women do to lessen this risk? I would rather not have to take medication for the rest of my life, so any suggestions would be great and much appreciated! I had borderline insulin resistance on a fasting blood test btw.. Thanks so much in advance!!!! :-)

Replies

• jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi! And welcome! :)

I am not on Metformin nor have I taken Clomid (I'm not trying to conceive - yet), but my cousin's wife has PCOS and had to take Clomid for her second pregnancy. The first pregnancy was a surprise - as in she didn't think she could get pregnant and therefore didn't take the necessary precautions to prevent pregnancy - and she went on Metformin in her third trimester I believe. She isn't overweight and actually sought out an endocrinologist who specialized in thin women with PCOS because other doctors wouldn't take her seriously. I don't think she's on any medications now - they boys are 5 and 2 years old - and I'm not sure how she manages her symptoms, but she seems to be doing fine!

I'm not terribly overweight either, but last year at my annual my gyno told me to lose some weight (I'm 5'3 and weighed 150ish). I weighed 139 at my appointment this year and she didn't mention anything about it, so I guess I'm ok in her book! I'm still trying to get down to 135 or 130 - I'm not on any medication aside from birth control pills (to prevent pregnancy, not to manage my symptoms as I've learned mostly from here that it doesn't help!), but I'm very very slowly altering my diet to be LCHF to see if it will help get rid of my stubborn PCOS belly.

I don't know much about insulin resistance, but you should be able to manage a lot of your PCOS symptoms through diet and exercise. That's what I've been trying to do. My goal has been to lose 10% of my body weight - from what I've read this seems to be the rule of thumb.

If you go back through the topics posted in this group, there is a ton of really helpful information. I'm sorry if this was a little long and rambling...
  • gratitudelife
    gratitudelife Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that only overweight women have PCOS... I was a normal slim weight when I first started having PCOS symptoms in my late teens. The important thing to remember is there's a direct connection between insulin resistance and PCOS... if you can lower your insulin through diet, you're more likely to produce the hormones you need to ovulate and get pregnant. Try cutting way back on carbs, eat primarily whole organic foods, any carbs you eat should be whole grain and in small servings, like quinoa... Lots of green leafy veg and high quality proteins like fish, nuts, poultry and red meat... limit your fruit to low glycemic choices like berries. Add some healthy fats like coconut oil and olive oil. Season with apple cider vinegar, fresh and dried herbs... My favourite seasoning is homemade pesto...
  • jastillwell87
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I have been trying to cut back on carbs, which is really hard!! But, hopefully it gets easier with time. I have been noticing some thinning hair around my hairline and had no idea that was also related to PCOS until I started googling everything (which I don't recommend as it just makes me more stressed). Any suggestions of what may help with this symptom?
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs helps and it is definitely hard to do! I do moderately low carb <100 grams a day. I am careful with sugars especially (under 7 in any given 2 hour period and i try to keep them under 30 a day). Get your carbs from sources like veggies.

I had a difficult time getting diagnosed initially and needed IVF but I had a very healthy pregnancy and did not develop any complications during my pregnancy.

As far as hair loss goes, PCOS sufferers tend to have too much testosterone. Ask your Dr. about spironalactone. Im pretty sure it is not safe to take it while you are pregnant, but its worth asking.
  • jastillwell87
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice! I have been trying to cut back on carbs, which is really hard!! But, hopefully it gets easier with time. I have been noticing some thinning hair around my hairline and had no idea that was also related to PCOS until I started googling everything (which I don't recommend as it just makes me more stressed). Any suggestions of what may help with this symptom?

REad thru a lot of the posts here on this board. Even if you dont think they'd apply to you. There are tidbits of good information all over the place here. Dragonwolf has extensive posts and a blog that helps lay things out plainly with the science to back it all up. But many others have great ideas and things that have worked for them too.

Getting your diet in order helps (and possible met/meds) help get your hormones in order to help stop with the hair loss. If you cut carbs do it smartly, its a low carb but HIGH fats and moderate protein diet. If you try low carb differently you will find it is extremely difficult to maintain and your body doesnt get what it needs. It NEEDS the fats.

DOnt stress. Many of us have it, many have found symptom relief with a change in diet, a few meds/herbs and exercise including lifting heavy. Dont be afraid to ask any question you might have.
  • jastillwell87
    Options
    Thank you I'll certainly check those posts out!
  • memedandy1
    memedandy1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Rogaine for Women does help curb the hair loss. If you have just started noticing it I would recommend using it now as it keeps your hair from falling out as well as some new growth. The problem with waiting is that the regrowth process takes some time.