OHP 'back arch' . . . explain me this?

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i see people talking about doing this as if it were a bad thing . . . i'm not arguing about that, i just don't know what 'arch' means in this context. are we talking lower back, mid-back at the waist, what? any particular tips or specific muscle cues for maintaining safe form from people who have this one knocked?

thanks.

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Arching the back during OHP (think leaning back excessively) puts a LOT of pressure/stress on the lower back, while giving you a bit more leverage because your chest comes into play more (think incline bench press as opposed to overhead press). But the pressure on the lower back is something you don't want. It can cause injuries or lead to recurring pain.

For the exercise to be "safe" you want your body in a straight line from heels to the top of the head in a neutral position. Your back will have it's natural "arch" in it, your core and glutes will be engaged, and your head is the only thing that moves aside from your arms to get the weight up. That is a strict overhead press.

Any bend in the knees/hip hinge turns it into a push press.

Any backward lean turns it into nightmare fuel for you as your back takes a load it shouldn't have to support in such a precarious position.

Does that help?
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    thanks - although I didn't ask the question, that explanation helps me tremendously (and makes me think i need to deload & work on mine some more) :D
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Does that help?

sort of, thanks. i don't think i have trouble keeping my lower back out of the equation, but there has to be a change in the vertebral alignment somewhere between pelvis and skull, yeah? so i'm just trying to figure out what it all actually means. the way i'm interpreting atm is that all the spinal movement has to stay in the cervical vertebrae, but for all i know that's just a recipe for whiplashing myself instead of putting my lower back out.

ovrthnkrs r us, but there you go. i'm a qa analyst, me.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Agree 100% with Krok. Would only add that I know I'm doing a "bad" back arch the second it happens. It's not a subtle difference, at least in my experience, which leads me to think that if you're not sure, you're probably OK. If others disagree, please say so -- I'm still a beginner.

C.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I do all lifts by the description on StrongLifts, listen to Krok...she is always right. :)

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-overhead-press-with-correct-technique/
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    well, guys . . . i agree with krok too. been all over the sl description and walkthrough as well. i'm still asking for the further clarification of whether i should try to keep my thoracic vertebrae totally still during the lift or not.
  • krokador
    Options
    I don,t know about "still". I don't think there is a way to prevent movement entirely here. But you should keep your core braced throughout the entire movement for sure. It should, by itself, prevent any excessive back arch - I believe it's very hard to arch back much when your abdominal wall is pushing out with a lungful of air in!

At least I know I tend to start leaning back if I let myself get loose for some reason. (And it happens more than I'd like to admit)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I don,t know about "still".

heh, thanks. i never know if something should be taken absolutely literally or if there's wiggle room. in this scenario, i've figured out my question is really all about what you do to get your head out of the way. if i just tip my head backwards i don't need to move from the shoulders at all, but that really doesn't sound smart. on the other hand pulling your head backwards while keeping it strictly in the same horizontal plane is a pretty hard thing to do if you're keeping everything below your shoulders absolutely rigidly still.

i'm going to think of it as 'give yourself a double chin' and move on. thanks for the input.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread.

I have found that I pick up a tip online, or more often get told by a PT, only to come home and re-read Stronglifts and realise that I shouldn't be bending here or bending there.

The other day another lifter, watching me be humiliated by my OHP, came over to give advice,
    "Would you like a tip?"
    "You're going to tell me the bent knees thing aren't you..?"
    "No. What you want to do is bend your knees."
    "Thank you, I have had that advice before, but it turns the move in to a push press and I'm wanting to do an overhead press".
    "Well, that's all very well, but the goal is just lifting heavier weights isn't it love".
    "Yes, for some people, but that's not why I'm lifting"
    He took offence and did the "zipped lips" thing.
  • krokador
    Options
    Interesting thread.

I have found that I pick up a tip online, or more often get told by a PT, only to come home and re-read Stronglifts and realise that I shouldn't be bending here or bending there.

The other day another lifter, watching me be humiliated by my OHP, came over to give advice,
    "Would you like a tip?"
    "You're going to tell me the bent knees thing aren't you..?"
    "No. What you want to do is bend your knees."
    "Thank you, I have had that advice before, but it turns the move in to a push press and I'm wanting to do an overhead press".
    "Well, that's all very well, but the goal is just lifting heavier weights isn't it love".
    "Yes, for some people, but that's not why I'm lifting"
    He took offence and did the "zipped lips" thing.

Technically, lifting heavier with strict form will ALSO translate to lifting heavier with the momentum-using form. Just a thought ;P