Considering whole 30 again

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
Hi my name is Joy I am 43 and have fibromyalgia a condition that causes muscle and joint pain. I began paleo in November last year in an attempt to treat the fibro symptoms this eventually led to a whole 30 in January which was very successful. My daily headaches and neck pain disappeared, I didn't lose a great deal of weight but body fat dropped considerably and I was the closest to a six pack I have ever been. However since then I have really struggled to stick to paleo and my symptoms have returned. I say every day I am going back to paleo but it doesn't happen. I really need to do this and could use some support, I did try a second whole 30 earlier this year but it didn't work. Any advice. I have numerous food intolerances which I am currently attempting to ignore and eating food I shouldn't. Why can't i do this. I have finished all the dairy now. My real problem with paleo is breakfast I don't enjoy eating leftovers and I am intolerant to eggs. I feel like a total failure as I am not healthy despite a healthy diet and know paleo is the right way.

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    What foods are you eating that you can't tolerate? Maybe a look at those would be a good start to see what you could replace them with...etc.

About breakfast: Have you tried frying up breakfast sausage with veggies? When you say you don't like leftovers, is that ALL leftovers? What about soup? Would you consider eating chef salad for breakfast?
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, your most recent whole30 didn't work? Were you unable to finish, or did you follow the rules 30 days and your fibromyalgia stayed the same?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I did 27 days and didn't feel it worked as well as the first whole 30 did in terms of reducing fibromyalgia symptoms, I also gained weight and craved sugar the whole way through. My husband made it very difficult as he wasn't very supportive and kept saying it was a stupid diet the whole way through and buying non compliant food and eating it in front of me. I eventually gave up and went back to my old ways.
    The foods I eat that are causing me problems are pasta, wheat in general, dairy and eggs. My routine in a morning is to have breakfast and a cup of tea in bed before the chaos of getting the kids ready for school it isn't easy to eat soup in bed. I know it's all about mindset but I miss breakfast cereal when on paleo and I find I replace it with fruit and nuts which is a, not very filling and b, too much sugar. I make a bacon, apple and sweet potato hash that I enjoy and is easy to eat in the morning I just wish I could have an egg on top of it. I need to stop whining and suck it up and get on with it I know health is more important. Thanks for your replies.
  • df1982
    df1982 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say, you are not alone. I've done the Whole30 in the past with amazing results, but am now struggling to be consistent with it (as a result getting seriously ill over the past two weeks, work stress at an all-time high, and probably a bunch of other reasons I have yet to identify). I also know that the Whole30 is what works best for me, yet I am struggling to stay committed to the process.

All the other advice already given is great. I would just add to that, try not to be too hard on yourself. I do this a lot too, but if I am really honest I know that a lot of self criticism ultimately makes things worse, and drives me straight to the cookie jar.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I agree. Self criticism only makes it harder. I think we all go through these "phases" (for lack of a better word) where we sort of fall off the wagon and start to feel like crap. I was in a "eat all the candy and chips" phase for a quite a while not too long ago. I kept telling myself it was ok because I never eat wheat and I was eating candy with no wheat and corn or potato chips, but it still caught up to me and made me feel bad.

So, have you started a new Whole30 now?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I kept telling myself it was ok because I never eat wheat and I was eating candy with no wheat and corn or potato chips, but it still caught up to me and made me feel bad.

Are you me? :)

I'm gluten free by choice not medical necessity, and mainly 'cuz it keeps me out of the cake, pie, cookies, crackers, etc etc.

I tell people though, I can still get plennnnnty of crap food from chocolate and ice cream. :-O

Hence the current Whole30.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I kept telling myself it was ok because I never eat wheat and I was eating candy with no wheat and corn or potato chips, but it still caught up to me and made me feel bad.

Are you me? :)

I'm gluten free by choice not medical necessity, and mainly 'cuz it keeps me out of the cake, pie, cookies, crackers, etc etc.

I tell people though, I can still get plennnnnty of crap food from chocolate and ice cream. :-O

Hence the current Whole30.

Haha! I'm glad I'm not alone. I quit gluten as part of an experiment to try to figure out what the heck was wrong with me that I was sick all. the. time. Lots of self-experimentation including eating strictly paleo, doing multiple whole30's, eating wheat (and subsequently being sick for about 10 days)...etc. I decided I was done with wheat. Fast forward a few years to my endometriosis confirmation, and I think it makes it sense now. Wheat = inflammation. Ugh. So does sugar, but somehow I still can't get that through my head.
  • df1982
    df1982 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this! So needed to read this right now!