Ketogenic ratios

Options
I eat at 1350 cals and this works for me, in fact I sometimes end up under. I am trying to work out my ratios for ketogenic diet.

If I go 65% fat, that is 98g, and 45g carbs (20 net after the 25g fiber I shoot for daily), that is 13% carbs, leaving the last bit to be about 22% or 74g protein... does that sound right?

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i do 5% carbs, but i think everyone is diff.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    5% on a 1350 calorie plan gives me 17 total carbs, not even net, lol. I'd have to practically stop eating vegetables even.:grumble:

I was more concerned I guess with, is 65% a high enough fat ratio?
  • ScottLynn98
    ScottLynn98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've read that 5% net carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat is a good place to start. 17 net carbs is way better than 17 total carbs...
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    5% on a 1350 calorie plan gives me 17 total carbs, not even net, lol. I'd have to practically stop eating vegetables even.:grumble:

I was more concerned I guess with, is 65% a high enough fat ratio?

i only do 15 carbs/day. if i get to 17, i freak. LOL
    i do 75% fat.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1350 cals and this works for me, in fact I sometimes end up under. I am trying to work out my ratios for ketogenic diet.

If I go 65% fat, that is 98g, and 45g carbs (20 net after the 25g fiber I shoot for daily), that is 13% carbs, leaving the last bit to be about 22% or 74g protein... does that sound right?

That looks perfect to me
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories - my ratios are 70/25/5 or 109g/88g/18g. I aim to go over on fat and under on protein and carbs. I usually come in under 18g total carbs daily (sometimes a few more if I have zucchini, in which case I count net instead).
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely difficult to know the real values for fat. Ofc, the fat that's intrinsic to the food, such as the coco oil in coffee, that's easy because everything is consumed. But what about, for example, the butter where the eggs are fried or salmon poached in butter? The other day I had a steak with cream and bacon sauce. It was so good that I dipped the broccoli in the sauce. Obviously I had more fat in that meal than I would have if I had just had the broccoli plain. How do you know your quantities to the gram?
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I highly highly recommend using the keto calculator.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It's also best to remember... hit your protein goals, stay under your carb goal, and only eat up to your fat allowance to fill yourself up. Your fat 'ratio' is not a goal, simply a marker.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The % doesn't really matter all that much. The typical recommendation for someone starting keto of 20g net carbs is the same whether or not that is 7% or 3%. The amount of protein you see in the keto calc is based on an estimation of lean body mass, and then the amount of fat varies depending on how big a deficit you want to try to eat at. Someone who has 200 pounds to lose and very high body fat % is probably eating a much bigger % of their total calories from fat than someone with 30 pounds to lose.

As the poster above me said:
    hit your protein goals, stay under your carb goal, and only eat up to your fat allowance to fill yourself up.

Those goals are most easily stated and understood in grams. Its a shame MFP likes ratios instead when setting goals.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    20 grams of net carb is the standard recommendation, keep doing what you are doing! I'm also around 1350 cals a day, I try not to stress too much with my ratios, as long as I'm under 20 grams of net carb and that the majority of my calories are coming from fat.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I find it extremely difficult to know the real values for fat. Ofc, the fat that's intrinsic to the food, such as the coco oil in coffee, that's easy because everything is consumed. But what about, for example, the butter where the eggs are fried or salmon poached in butter? The other day I had a steak with cream and bacon sauce. It was so good that I dipped the broccoli in the sauce. Obviously I had more fat in that meal than I would have if I had just had the broccoli plain. How do you know your quantities to the gram?

i dont' think it's important to stress over bits left in the pan. some days, you will consume it all (your coffee example) and other days you won't (egg example) - but it should all even-out over time. i figure the fat for the FULL AMOUNT that i use, and if some is not consumed, i just don't worry about it. obviously, there are times when i don't finish my meal at all (i log 1 chicken breast, but leave a few bites because i'm full) - i do not go back and "take away" a few grams or ounces because i didn't finish. my only exception would be if i went back for 2nds, then yes, i do log that. hope that makes sense :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I highly highly recommend using the keto calculator.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

It's also best to remember... hit your protein goals, stay under your carb goal, and only eat up to your fat allowance to fill yourself up. Your fat 'ratio' is not a goal, simply a marker.

I agree!

My goal was to lose a bit more body fat but I was meeting & exceeding my fat goal.
    That was a mistake because it contradicts my goal -__-

Duh. I got all wrapped up in the ol' 'but I HAVE to make minimum calories'...no :angry: not yet anyway :laugh:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    The % doesn't really matter all that much. The typical recommendation for someone starting keto of 20g net carbs is the same whether or not that is 7% or 3%. The amount of protein you see in the keto calc is based on an estimation of lean body mass, and then the amount of fat varies depending on how big a deficit you want to try to eat at. Someone who has 200 pounds to lose and very high body fat % is probably eating a much bigger % of their total calories from fat than someone with 30 pounds to lose.

As the poster above me said:
    hit your protein goals, stay under your carb goal, and only eat up to your fat allowance to fill yourself up.

Those goals are most easily stated and understood in grams. Its a shame MFP likes ratios instead when setting goals.

Honestly, I use an add-on to custom set my goals in grams anyway.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love the Nutrition tab on the phone app. It allows you to see the grams OR the percentage. I do pay more attention to the grams: try to stay under my carbs, eat to my protein and let the rest be fat. I usually eat under 15g of carbs a day. I feel so much better when I do.
  • BansheeCat
    Options
    It's going to sound gross but do you have a different odor or urine smell? Your macros isn't unheard of for Ketosis to set in but many people can't get into ketosis with 13% net carbs. Ketosticks could let you know if you need to switch things up.

My macros is 10/20/70.