Where to begin.....

Options
I will apologize in advance for the length of this post…I’m just so frustrated with everything. Moody, emotional, tired ALL the time, depressed, achy, heart palpitations….I can go on and on.

Back in March of this year I thought I was having a heart attack. For several days prior had been feeling heaviness on my chest and that morning was the worst. Plus my b/p shot up sky high. After spending the day in the ER and finding that no heart attack had occurred, was told to “follow up with your cardiologist”. Follow up with “my” cardiologist?? I didn’t’ have one….never thought I needed one.

So I find one at the practice my husband goes to. She proceeded to run scores of tests all of which showed my heart was in great shape. She suggested I go to a Pulmonologist. Meanwhile, the heaviness is still there and, on occasion, worse.

The Pulmonologist did some tests and she is the one that found the growths on my thyroid. (by the way….lungs are fine)

Finally!!! Someone had an answer….. but not until several thousands of dollars in tests and almost 6 months had gone by. Although, looking back, I think I may have had this issue for YEARS. Not until it got so bad that I ended up in the ER was it found out.

The Pulmonogist forwarded her findings to my PCP (who had run TSH tests several times—all coming back normal) and strongly suggested an Ultrasound. PCP provided the order to have that test done.

Found an Endocrinologist (few and far between).

After reviewing the ultrasound of the thyroid the Endo diagnosed me with a multi nodular goiter with compression symptoms (thus the heaviness in my chest) She ran full blood work tests.

TSH was 2.80 Normal range 0.30-3.00
Free T3 was 2.8 Normal range 1.5-4.1
Free T4 was 0.98 Normal range 0.80 – 2.00

Anti-TPO Abs was 145.0 Normal range 0.0-35.00---BINGO!!!!

Upon review of the blood work she added I had Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism.
(**side note: This is now the 3rd auto-immune disorder I have been diagnosed with. Family history: mom had thyroid issues and a partial thyroidectomy because of a goiter, sister is Hypothryroid and brother has Crohn’s disease.)

Only other area that was abnormal in my blood work was my MCHC which came back 29.7…just slightly under the normal range of 31.0 – 37.00

The Endo then did an FNA of the thyroid. All, thank God, came back benign but she did re-send for a more in depth analysis for the left side because of the size of the growth (2” plus) Have to wait until end of this week for those results.

The Endo started me on 25 mcg of Tirosint (Levothyroxine sodium capsule) —began taking those on September 8 of this year. I wasn’t really feeling any different except the last couple of days my depression is worse and the emotions…..oh my gosh. I cry at NOTHING!!!!! Not only do I wake up tired, but now I wake up crying over EVERYTHING and NOTHING!!!!!

I will add that I have been overweight the majority of my life. I found My Fitness Pal a while back and tried it. I was very good about posting everything I ate…but nothing happened. I never LOST anything (in part I know now because of the diagnosis) The worst part is I am gaining weight and am about to lose my mind!! I have tired to watch everything that goes into my mouth but still nothing. I have tried to go back to using my stationary bike…but after a few minutes am so tired I have to stop.

After being diagnosed I began to do some research on how to “handle it”. I am SO TOTALLY CONFUSED!! Where do I even begin???

The way I found this group was by accident. I had googled “Hashimoto’s and hummus” hoping I could eat that. Thus came upon this group. So here I am.

Can anyone tell me what they’re eating and not eating in order to lose weight?? There is sooo much information out there about what we CAN’T eat but very little about what we can.

Again, so sorry for the length…but it finally feels good to rant to someone that understands what I’m talking about. My husband has been great..going to every single doctor’s appointment and test…but he “doesn’t understand” what this feels like. And I’m afraid he might begin to think a lot of it is in my head.

So if anyone out there can help shed some light on how I can move on from here..it would be so GREATLY appreciated!!

Replies

• desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in May - sort of the same as you, TSH T3, T4 somewhat "normal" but Anti-TPO through the roof (in the 200s) The first thing my doc said to do was cut out gluten. I was very skeptical, but I was in pain all the time, depressed and tired, so I was willing to try anything.

I went gluten free cold turkey and I am so glad I did. Turns out there is lots of evidence that gluten intolerance and Hashimoto's go hand in hand.

The doc put me on Armour after I did an ultrasound on the thyroid (which came out fine) but the Armour gave me heart palpitations. So now I'm on synthroid. It took a few months of gluten free and meds, but my face is less puffy, I don't get as depressed anymore and the pain is mostly gone!!

I'm still working on eating better - it's still possible to eat junk even when gluten free. It hasn't been easy and I haven't lost much weight (3lbs but I'll take it!). Going gluten free isn't a weight loss technique, but now I have more energy to focus on eating right and dropping the weight.

I recommend reading "Root Cause - Hashimoto's Thyroiditis" by Izabella Wentz. Good information - a little heavy on the science, but still worth reading. She's a pharmacist with Hashimoto's and has a Facebook page as well. She makes recommendations for supplements and eating strategies (recommends gluten free). Even if you don't follow her food suggestions, it still will give you a good understanding about the disease.

Sorry if this doesn't totally answer your question, but I wonder if you focus on getting your energy back, you might be able to put more into changing your diet. One step at a time.
  • SuzSG
    Options
    HI, thanks for the response. I have just been on the Tirosint for about 2 1/2 weeks. I have good and bad days. Yesterday I was so full of energy..I couldn't believe it. Today I am so tired I can barely move. I have to see my doc in a few weeks but after researching, decided to try to do a gluten free. Not totally but a lot of what I eat is gluten free. I just started the eating thing a few days ago so I don't see anything...yet. I will check out your recommendation of "Root Cause..." What can it hurt right?? Thanks again for the response and hope you feel better .... sooner rather than later.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've had hashimotos for about 8 yrs. I'm on armour thyroid and I finAlly lost the extra 25 lbs eating the normal way anyone of my height and weight should do to lose weight. Before medication, even ultra low calorie diets did nothing. I don't do too much exercise unfortunately because of the extreme fatigue. I save my energy for essential things like fixing dinner for the family. Most of the time these days I am too tired to move all day. It is quite depressing. I really need to change medication or increase the dose.

I am gluten free, it has definitely help reduce joint pain which was more debilitating than the fatigue at one point. So I'm sticking with it. I have read that gluten is not good for hashimoto sufferers and also may be a root cause of a lot of autoimmune diseases (like hashimotos and RA). I am now working to eliminate dairy too. As for all the other suggestions to avoid goitrogenic food like broccoli or cauliflower, I don't eat a lot of it so it doesn't bother me. And going gluten free is hard enough.

I tried tyrosint and synthroid and didn't respond too well to it. When my armour dosage was optimized earlier this year was when my fatigue reduced and I started to lose weight like a normal person.
  • SuzSG
    SuzSG Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,

Glad to hear you lost the 25 #'s. When I went to my PCP I had lost 3...YEAH!! It's a start.

I don't feel as tired ALL the time as I did before starting the Tirosint. Even when I am tired, I just try to push through because if I didn't I wouldn't get ANYTHING done. I just began cutting out the gluten about a week ago. My PCP suggested to stay away from as many carbs as possible as well. Thankfully, my husband said he will eat whatever I prepare for myself so I don't have to cook twice. He added it probably wouldn't hurt him!!

I'm just going to keep in the front of my mind that this is my life now and try to move on. I hope that your fatigue goes away.Thanks for responding to my thread!! Good luck!!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you a hug!!! And I find it funny you found us by googling "hashimotos and hummus" hehehe. At least you found us!!

I sympathize with you. It's hard dealing with hormone imbalances. I feel like your t3 and t4 could use some work to be optimal (not just "normal"), but I'm no doctor :smile: . I never tried tirosint, but have read many thyroid patients seem to like it. Synthetic thyroid meds and I do not get along though. My body doesn't use then effectively. I tried synthroid, levo, levo + cytomel - i felt like a basket case on any of them. They made my tsh and other values come into range, but I was batsh!t crazy lol. It's a matter of trail and error to find what works for you. It takes time and patience, which is hard to have with everything you are going through. But it will pay off. Hang in there.