Got My Nov. 10 Surgery Date Today

Options
Today was the big day I have been waiting for. I met with the Bariatric Surgeon who will be doing my surgery.
He was completely fine with my choice of VSG surgery and for that I was thrilled. The surgeon had no problem or reservations about me having VSG and not RNY.
I had prepared a list of "pros" for VSG in case the surgeon swayed me to have RNY which I don't think is the right procedure for me. Thanks to my dear friend on this forum who helped me prepare the "pros" list on the phone last night.
I am so thrilled that the appointment went so smoothly and he doesn't anticipate my previous appendix surgery or incisional hernia mesh repair to be an issue.
I am now to wait for a call from the hospital for the esophagus test (sorry, I didn't quite catch the name of that or the spelling).

I did tell him that it was only two weeks ago today that I lost my mom and I was considering putting the surgery off till January as there is so much to deal with estate wise and getting mom's house cleaned out and ready to be sold. But while I was at the appointment today it just felt really right to take the 1st available date. A friend of mine texted me and said "go with your gut" when I told him I was contemplating taking the first available date or postponing it to the frigid winter here.
They told me that if I wanted to delay the surgery for awhile to please give them three weeks notice so they can reschedule the spot for someone else.
Another great thing that happened at the appt. is that I found out that I only have to do the liquid fast for 2 weeks. I thought it was going to be 3 weeks with my weight in the 280's.
I was down 30.1 lbs. since I started the program in February.
It was a great day and oh so worth all of the hard work.

Hip, Hip, Hooray.

Replies

• gastrognome89
    gastrognome89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Not long to go now, it will have been worth the wait!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm hoping for surgery in November too! Neither of us will have to worry about over-eating during the holidays this year :)
  • juliebccs
    juliebccs Posts: 233
    Options
    Yay.......................I am so thrilled for you. Finally after such a long journey. I am so glad you got your choice of sleeve.
    Gosh I will be overseas the day of your surgery but I will be back by the 12th,,probably just in time to hear how it all went.
    Great weight loss so far. You are going to do so well. :-)
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Very happy for you!! You have been doing so well--- I am glad you get to have the surgery relatively soon. :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You have been working so hard for this, and toward this! So happy for you!
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Oh I am SO happy for you! You have been so diligent throughout this whole process and now you are almost there-keep pushing forward! I scheduled my surgery last week for Dec 2-this will work out best for me timing wise between school and work.
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! That is very good news! Im happy for you that you're getting the type of surgery you feel most comfortable with. :drinker:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Youre having whats called an EGD aka 'upper GI endoscopy'
    Its where the Dr will put a scope down your throat to view your stomach.
    Here its considered a "surgery" only in the sense that they put you out, not so much because they cut into you!
    The actual process is maybe 15 minutes...its the waiting before and the waiting after that takes the longest :ohwell:
    I don't know about you but with me (I wish Id known beforehand), they only require you to remove your top and put a surgery gown on and was allowed to keep everything else (waist down) on.
    I would've gone in my loose comfy capris if Id known that!
    I was pretty hot in my regular pants that I thought I was going to have to remove anyways and w/ only a sheet on while I was waiting for my turn.
    Call and ask them...that way you can be prepared :smile:
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and for helping me to get to this point.
    Hey Loriloftness and Weeziebeth, it is pretty neat that we will be having surgery within a few weeks of each other. It will be nice to walk that early recovery stage together and share ideas.
    Thanks again everyone.
    Donna :smile:
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Donna!

It's about time for things to break in your favor. Stay diligent and the date will be here before you know it!

We're all rooting for you!

Rob
  • Living4me123
    Living4me123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been away for a while and just read your good news. Congratulations! I am scheduled for the 12th of November! Looking forward to sharing the journey!
  • elifusa
    elifusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Donna, Congratulations. I am so happy for you! keep up the good work and things will go your way. I'm rooting for ya!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for being my cheering squad. :)
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations!!