Fall is Here

Fall is here, and that means that winter is around the corner. It's been quite nice for the past few days here in SW Iowa (80's), but I know that will not last.

So how does everyone plan to stay active throughout the fall and winter? Some of us will join a gym (I'm thinking about doing this sometime towards Nov. or Dec., but the nearest gym that has reasonable hours is about 20-30 miles away (in rural Iowa, as most of you know, that is a reality). Others will go outside despite the cold or snowy weather.

Here are some generic plans I have:
-I work FT and am taking classes for my MBA as well (am a FT student). I'm finished with the current class 10/19 and won't start another until January... so I'll have some free time for a short while.
-I'm very active politically, and this is an election year. I knock doors and get some exercise doing that.
-After the election in Nov., I plan to take a 9 day road trip to the SE US. I've planned hikes at several spots from Hot Springs National Park to the Everglades, Cumberland Island, etc.
-Later in Nov. (Thanksgiving weekend), my brother and I are going up to Yellow River State Forest to do some backpacking camping.
-December, my other brother and I are going out deer hunting at Stephens State Forest (a lot of walking).

Otherwise, I do not like to let the winter weather keep me away from exercise and outdoor activities. It is just something I need to prepare for with more layers, a heavier sleeping bag, gaitors, etc.

How about the rest of you?

Replies

• hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I am one of those get out despite the cold folks. I walk to work every day no matter the conditions--last year the coldest feels like temp was 43 below. For exercise, I love to snow shoe and have several local parks that have some pretty good trails. I will take the bike out on the roads as long as they are clear but have a back up on the trainer to work out on as well. I have a weight lifting class twice a week but otherwise just work out at home.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Where do you snowshoe in Iowa? I've thought about getting snowshoes for traveling to the NW - I fell through about 5 feet of snow several times and had to dig/pull myself out this past Memorial Day weekend while hiking in the Grand Tetons. But I didn't realize we had enough snow anywhere in Iowa to need snowshoes.
  • hawkeyegal1995
    I am over around Cedar Rapids. We hit all of the local parks and just hike with the snow shoes. Trails keep a pretty good snow pack since we are usually the only ones using them that time of year.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Don't you bang up your snowshoes with such shallow snow and sticks/rocks underneath?
  • hawkeyegal1995
    Maybe we get more snow on this side of the state but we are in snow up to our knees on some trails when we break through. Most of the pack is problaby at least 6 inches or better so don't have a lot of problems with banging up the snowshoes. Plus, they seem to hold up to it all.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    as I get back into running I plan on running through the winter. Minding that biting wind and humidity during runs will be the biggest problem. Since I've gone soft all summer Im going to have to pay the price to get back in shape in the hard part of the year. If I really want to attempt anything significant I have to get my butt in gear.