Help! I want to LIFT!!!

Options
lizzardsm
lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
Hello! I've been on and off working out with StrongLifts for the last year. I've really really loved it and was making some great progress until I injured my knee doing squats back in April. I immediately stopped lifting and religiously followed my physical therapist's instructions. Turns out my knees were misaligned and I had been wearing away at the cartilage under my kneecaps. Most of the exercises I was doing were strengthening my hip abductors using bands. We also worked on my squat form as I was really leaning forward when squatting. They had me squatting into chairs and leaning on physioballs against walls while squatting.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish my course of PT as they had me come in 2x/week and completely overestimated how much my insurance would pay. I'm now pretty terrified to start StrongLifts again and it's killed my motivation to exercise as well.

I was reading the Armi Legge article about avoiding injuries you posted on Facebook. One thing he said was "Weak coming out of the hole on your back squats? Work your glute medius and strengthen your abductors." He also mentioned things like mobility work, prehab and rehab work. I have no idea what these things are.

Can you help me sort out what I can do so I can get back to lifting again? Also, what can I do to improve my squat form?

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Can you continue exercises your pt has already taught you and make them a little harder over time?? Can you call or email your pt for advice?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Was your PT trying to keep your knees behind your toes or keep them square?
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    With regards to (p)rehab, MobilityWOD is a very good resource. The owner also has a book out called 'Becoming a Supple Leopard' that is excellent.
    If you imagine going to the physio is like going to the dentist, then mobility work/prehab is like brushing your teeth. It's doing preventative maintenance on yourself to keep everything moving correctly. This generally means maintaining a healthy range of motion in all soft tissue and joints, through correct movement patterns and freeing up soft tissue through self myofascial release.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/ - Start here.
  • lizzardsm
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf - My pt was trying to keep my knees square and my back upright. (I've been told even by trainers that I lean forward way too much.

@n3ver3nder - Thanks for that resource! :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf - My pt was trying to keep my knees square and my back upright. (I've been told even by trainers that I lean forward way too much.

@n3ver3nder - Thanks for that resource! :)

In addition to mobility work, consider posting a video of your squat. When you return to squatting start out very light.
  • lizzardsm
    Options
    Thanks SideSteel. I definitely will. :)