What's for dinner?

Options
GrokRockStar
GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
Need an idea for tonight. I have to go to the grocer to pick something up to put together. I usually eat the same ole pot roast with cabbage, peppers, or a kelp noodle stir fry. Would like to mix it up tonight, nothing is off limits.

Any ideas??

Replies

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Here's one my whole family loves.

Saute chicken (thighs or breasts) in coconut oil in a dutch oven. Or just grab one of those hot cooked chickens from the store if you are in a hurry. Add some thinly sliced onion and carrots.
    Grind up raw cauliflower in mixer until it's like rice.
    Add cauliflower, 12 oz coconut milk and curry paste to taste to chicken.
    If you are using dried curry spices, add them in when it's just coconut oil and chicken in pan because they need the fat to break down that "dusty" dried spice taste.
    Cook it all up. You can add some shredded coconut and basil leaves at the end. It's so good. We devour it. My kids don't even know it's cauliflower, they think it's rice. I've even juliened Brussells sprouts and added them and said it was just basil.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't usually use cabbage in recipes, but had bought a large head last week that I needed to use up.

I made stuffed cabbage & it was delicious :blushing:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I made braised beef short ribs with a Korean style flavor, homemade baba ganoush and sautéed kale.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Oh, my dinner seems so boring now. I had three chicken drumsticks that were baked with the skin and sprinkled with Himalayan pink salt, a sweet potato and some steamed broccoli. :) I have to get a bit more inventive. I have a TON of Paleo cookbooks....need to crack them open.

~Skye :flowerforyou:
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am making this Rogan Josh with Lamb and Beef....http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/07/13/paleo-rogan-josh/. I buy Penzy's Rogan Josh spice blend instead of using all those spices. It's so yummy!! Especially over mashed cauliflower. I am going to roast sweet potato cubes tonight to put it over!
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Jinks I love that Rogan Josh recipe and I use Penzey's as well- I love it with Lamb stew meat but have used lamb shoulder and it wasn't as tender, not sure why.

I have a lovely strip steak to grill and will serve with a cabbage and Chinese mushroom saute.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I've only had lamb once, but sounds like some tasty recipes. I do have a Dutch oven and use it regularly,
    Sumiblue, that's sounds awesome!
  • MARUW
    MARUW Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel as plain as the lady in this discussion who has the tasty drumsticks and himalyan salt, etc. I am so tired when I cook, I like simple things but maybe with some planning that can improve.
    I need to get myself a paleo cookbook, and also ignore my husband when he doesn't like the food which is usually. His dinners are not helping my health out at all. I never had a weight problem until I met him.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I need to get myself a paleo cookbook, and also ignore my husband when he doesn't like the food which is usually. His dinners are not helping my health out at all. I never had a weight problem until I met him.

Yes, get yourself a good Paleo cookbook and ignore your husband. Do what I do, don't tell him you are cooking Paleo, and adjust his favourite recipes without him knowing. Definitely, allow yourself a couple of shelves with all your healthy food on it. Don't preach to him about healthy food but just slowly add new things to his diet. My husband is sooooooooooo basic but is gradually trying new things.

Tonight I am trying the Rogan Josh - thank you Jinks.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Since I posted an hour ago, I have been doing the housework and boy have I been struggling. I feel so sluggish and lacking motivation and I know why - it is what I had for dinner last night!! Italian schnitzel, not homemade and full of flour and breadcrumbs, homemade chips, 1 glass of wine and 2 biscuits for supper with my cup of tea.

I remember this feeling from days gone by. Honestly, I really have to get serious and cut the C.R.A.P out of my diet and get rid of the Carbs, Refined sugar, Alcohol and Processed foods.

Well maybe I will just hang onto the Alcohol.:blushing:
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner is always good for me. A big omelet or frittata if you want to be fancy. If not just cook some bacon, then sautee some vegies in the fat and then scramble or fry a couple eggs to go with it. Easy and delicious.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Completely random thought; you know what's really weird? I hate when people say "veggies" instead of vegetables. It just bugs me. Also I hate when people say "sammich" instead of sandwich. Anyway...
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you don't have money to burn on a cookbook, there are TONS of free resources online. Pinterest, or Google it and find tons! Look for Paleo bloggers and bookmark them, such as Mark's Daily Apple, PaleOMG, Nom Nom Paleo. There are tons of free Kindle books on Amazon. I find them pretty basic after having been at this a while and I cook a lot. But a beginner...it might be free gold for you! I will not pay for a cookbook anmore as most/all the info is right there for free with a good search.
  • lujo321
    lujo321 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    Completely random thought; you know what's really weird? I hate when people say "veggies" instead of vegetables. It just bugs me. Also I hate when people say "sammich" instead of sandwich. Anyway...

LOL - I will try to remember to spell out vegetables. BTW - I totally agree about "sammich" I have always hated "sammies".
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Hey, I used to say "sammich" until I stopped eating em, so no worries on that one :D
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker recipes! Love those. Just made Beef Stroganoff: venison, onions, and mushrooms with beef broth poured over it. Set to low for 8 hours. Took out some for me to eat plain, and added sour cream to the rest to serve over egg noodles for the rest of the family.
  • Millimoo2
    Options
    We had baked fish on top of green Thai curry with vegetables and cauliflower rice. It was gorgeous! Husband made it and I think it was a good effort for only 1 week Paleo!! We're both loving that we are eating more healthily and making dishes we wouldn't normally make.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-unrolled-cabbage-casserole

This is what I'm eat all week. It's really good and pretty easy.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I love cabbage, the casserole looks yummy, I'm going to try it this weekend!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-unrolled-cabbage-casserole

This is what I'm eat all week. It's really good and pretty easy.
    I LOVE cabbage rolls, but I also make my own seasonings and such to where I would not really be following a recipe. But making it a casserole would likely make it easier to make!