Whole30

Options
How many people have done the Whole30? Did you find it beneficial? I am thinking of starting it next month.

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I guess if I would have read a few posts down I would've noticed that someone recently posted about this. Haha *off to read that thread*
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've done two; both for longer than 3 days. The main benefit of Whole30 for me was learning how to live without dairy. I've been in denial that I have a problem with dairy even after I cleaned up the rest of my diet. I still have it occasionally but am fully aware of my problems with it. (Caveat: raw, unprocessed dairy would be a whole different ball game imo.)

Whole30 otherwise is not as beneficial for me. I do better trying to eat as strict Paleo as I can every day. The "all or nothing" of Whole30 lead me into an "eat all the things" after my last one so that was a fail. However, much of that was also due to a year and a half of under-eating thanks to MFP calorie settings and my own brainwashing that the less calories I ate the better. (I was still eating 1400-1600 from 240 to 170 but I lost much lean body mass and slowed my metabolism).

I think Whole30 is a great way for Paleo newbies to start out. The improvements in health are mind-blowing and sets the stage for a lifelong commitment to health instead of a temporary weight loss strategy.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes many of us have and there is usually someone or group doing it all the time. It is beneficial my only concern is for someone to start off doing a whole30 as their first move to a Paleo lifestyle is a very difficult thing to do. My recommendation is to adapt to it slowly like drop wheat and junk oils and then do a Whole30. It is just easier that way.
  • littlelily613
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! That's interesting--I was going to use the whole30 as a starting platform for my entry into paleo, but if you think that might be too difficult perhaps I will rethink that idea. I was also planning on going paleo (with Whole30) next month rather than immediately, but I am starting to get so excited about making the switch to paleo that I think I might make the transition asap, even if it is step by step. I think it is going to be very beneficial for me.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    I have seen many people struggle with Whole30 as a starting point, but everyone is different and there is will-power involved so you can set the pace any way that works for you. It just tends to be very difficult as a starting point because so much of what we eat in SAD simply goes away. IMO I think removing Grains is going to be tough for anyone and it is big one.
  • littlelily613
    Options
    Grains will be a HUGE one for me, so maybe I should work on that first. I was vegetarian for half my life, so I depended on grains a lot during those years.

Edit: though clearly since I have 150 pounds to lose, I wasn't a healthy vegetarian!....
  • littlelily613
    Options
    I think what I like about Paleo (and similar ways of eating) is that they aren't temporary diets, but something that you can adhere to for the rest of your life. That is what I need: a lifestyle change, not a quick fix fad diet that isn't sustainable. So might be hard work at first, but should be well worth it in the end.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    I think what I like about Paleo (and similar ways of eating) is that they aren't temporary diets, but something that you can adhere to for the rest of your life. That is what I need: a lifestyle change, not a quick fix fad diet that isn't sustainable. So might be hard work at first, but should be well worth it in the end.

I started off doing the Atkins, but having done it before I knew it wasn't sustainable I really didn't even want to to it but I "maned" up and did it knowing it was short term at best. then i discovered Primal and it has been great and sustainable and delicious too, so many foods I never ate before and so much fun making them.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Way up there I had a typo. I did two W30s, each longer than 30 days, not 3. :noway:

I find a Ketogenic version of Paleo very sustainable (which is similar to the original version of Atkins- prior to all their processed food products - I wonder what the Doc would think of that if he were still here to see it!) but it fits my health situation and is not for everyone.

I too love the way I've been interested to learn to cook more/new things and also re-learn forgotten food preparation skills that were used by my ancestors once upon a time.
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I dove into Whole30 in April of last year not really knowing a lot about Paleo. I knew I felt better and wanted to try and continuing eating that way after my 30 days so I learned more about Paleo. After the 30 days, I couldn't stand the taste of my beloved Diet Coke anymore and still haven't had one to this day! Over the last year, I have started eating more SAD (standard american diet) foods and I starting feeling horrible. I started my second Whole30 in Sept. and made it 3 weeks and gave into an Oktoberfest weakness which made me feel like crap afterwards so I am back on the wagon! I don't think I would have stuck with it the first time had I really known about Paleo before that.
  • Lady_violet_
    Options
    I'm gonna try whole30 this month. I've done a no dairy, no gluten, no sweets diet before and it was AWESOME! I don't know how much weight i lost because I wasn't worried about that, but for the first time in my life I was thin and felt healthy. I still ate some grains (Rice and gluten free cookies), but I think i can manage without them in the whole30. Unfortunally, life got a little crazy and meals planing got pushed back as a priority, so now I'm back to past habits. But I'm willing to try again :smiley:
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    ClutchBone wrote: »
    for someone to start off doing a whole30 as their first move to a Paleo lifestyle is a very difficult thing to do. My recommendation is to adapt to it slowly like drop wheat and junk oils and then do a Whole30. It is just easier that way.

Yay I am a special snowflake! I had 0 willpower for any diets before this (hence being on here for years) and only through the W30 I discovered I'm actually an all or nothing person. If you suspect you can handle this approach, it's best to cut everything cold turkey in my experience. Just make sure you're 100% prepared. I lived by reading the W30 daily emails, Nom Nom Paleo and Well Fed. Nearly everything I ate on my W30 was from one of those two books.

Great stuff and those were a few of my early books too. It was easier for me I think than some due to by boundless reservoir of rage at wheat after reading Wheat Belly.

• Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I agree that having rage against wheat was a big help. I too came into Paleo with that mindset and to this day I "never cheat with wheat". My one hard rule that I stick to even if I break all the others from time to time.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I find a strict Whole 30 very hard. I would also suggest tapering into it unless you are a good "cold turkey" person that can just quit it and leave it behind. Because that is what this amounts to...leaving ALL vices behind.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did whole30 with minimal prep and it went well. Make sure you read the book, plan ahead, and find a few take out (chipotle) and sit down restaurants you can go to. Make friends with allergen menus, and shop around. Good luck!
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Starting today!!! I've been procrastinating but I know I have to do it. There always seems to be an occasion (birthday, vacation, etc.) that I postpone my Whole 30 for. But no more! Today is day one! Did the black coffee already and it was ok. Usually have cream or milk. Who wants to make it a go today???
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I need to ask all of you who have done the Whole 30 - which supplements are necessary? I'm thinking I would need some calcium as I'm eliminating dairy but what other supplements do you recommend.
  • SteamClutch
    Options
    For me it's fish oil, D and a B supplement but do read the ingredients on the labels sometimes they actually put grains and soy and other things in those supplements. I take some other items but they are related to my Hypothyroidism.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    You probably do not need calcium. People who aren't eating grains usually don't have any issue. The calcium thing has been ridiculously exaggerated imo. Magnesium may be an issue but the problem with supplements is finding any that are bio-available. My main supplements are Green Pastures Blue Ice Royal butter oil/fermented cod liver oil gel (actually it's a food), magnesium (supplements and bath), and Vitamin D3/K2 liquid. That's about it. I have wasted far too much money on supplements and it's just smarter to put the money towards better food.