Goal% carbs fat protein

I feel like I'm stalling and I keep messing with my goals. Currently I'm at 1200 calories, 5% carbs, 25% protein 70% fat. Does this sound okay? I exercise and do not eat calories back or very little calories back. I have myself set at lightly active, I measure my food, etc. thoughts?

Replies

• Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    My macros are almost the same but I have 75% fat and 20% protein (carbs are the same). I've lost 46 lbs and find it harder and harder now to lose. Initially when I started, I lost alot - very quickly. Now I kill myself to lose a 1 lb a week so I understand your frustration.
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    I'm just starting out

I do 5% carbs 70% fat 25% protein

From what I understand form others in this forum if you are stalling you need to adjust your micros, try more fat. and make sure not to over do protein since your body can use it as glucose if you eat too much of it.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    I was in a stall due to work stress. I also had upped my protein to 90G a day. My weight loss just stopped. Recently I changed my macros to 75%F / 20%P / 5%C and upped my calorie intake. I'm losing like a fiend! I don't have that much more to go now. I think you have to confuse your body once in a while. Mix it up.
  • MissLakeTime
    MissLakeTime Posts: 59 Member
    It appears most are about 75%F/20%P/5%C. I went to a Dr. a few weeks ago and he pushed very low to no carb but mentioned eating 35g of protein every 3 hours and I don't really remember him saying much about eating fat. So I assumed eating more protein was important than eating fat.
  • Judging by your food diary I see there's a couple of things you can tweak.

Increase you Caloric load:
    1200 is the bare minimum so try to stay at or slightly increase (like 1250) and replace the calories you burn exercising.

More fat than protein.
    If there is too much protein it breaks down to glucose which can throw you out of ketosis. Fat replaces your carbs for fuel and acts as a buffer. Protein is particularly rough on the kidneys.

Sodium/vs water intake
    You're not counting water in your diary but you could be retaining water if you're not adequately hydrating. A few times your salt was over. Combine that with mega high caloric deficit could lead to water retention or false weight.

Lastly--try switching up your exercise if you haven't been. Keep the body guessing...including strength training.

I hope this helps. The last few pounds love you so much it's hard to make them leave. Hang in there.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    It appears most are about 75%F/20%P/5%C. I went to a Dr. a few weeks ago and he pushed very low to no carb but mentioned eating 35g of protein every 3 hours and I don't really remember him saying much about eating fat. So I assumed eating more protein was important than eating fat.
    MissLake;

Assuming you didn't misunderstand the doc, the very first thing I'd do if I were you is look for a new one (one that has a clue what he's talking about).

35 grams of protein every 3 hours is just plain NUTS and "...I don't remember him saying much about eating fat so I assumed......" says he has NO understanding of what's going on with macros or overall metabolism.

The 75/20/5% is a pretty good (average) for keto adaptation but it will vary by individual.

Basically you want to stay close to <20g NET carbs/day MAX, 20-25% Protein MAX, and the remainder fat (which will usually end up close to 75% depending on total cals in).

Exercise is great for overall wellness but has essentially NO impact on weight loss and it is recommended that during the adaptation phase to keto (which can last anywhere between 2 - 6 weeks for most) that one NOT engage in anything beyond light to moderate (walking not heavy lifting).

Do NOT "eat back" exercise cals, in fact I'd recommend NOT logging ANY exercise cals since some apps (MFP e.g.) will auto adjust the cals in number (which then changes the macro percentages).

Start with a reasonable total cals in number and stick with it for at least a few weeks - there are enough changes going on with adaptation that your body has to adjust to - give it a chance. Most will experience a rapid loss rate at first, that's normal, don't expect it to stay that rapid - 1 lb/week is NOT "a stall" - it's plenty!

Focus on the MACROS - NOT the cals in.

And finally, be SURE you are getting ENOUGH sodium - 3-5,000g / day (especially if you note "lightheadedness"), keto adaptation changes the requirements significantly due to excretion rates. Many use a cup or two of broth daily to help meet this goal. A daily multi vitamin which includes magnesium and potassium is advisable as well.

Reduce sugar intake (in all it's various forms) as much as possible (including fruits, juices, and especially HFCS) - it's not easy at first but sugar feeds on itself in that the more you consume the more you crave. Cut it from your diet and you'll see the cravings disappear (well maybe not "disappear" for some, but at least decrease <g>).

Finally - don't take my word for it, your "doc's" (who apparently doesn't know his axxx from.....), or random forum posters/bloggers (many of whom simply repeat what they've "heard, were told by their cousin, or just "know") - go to the source.

This is a pretty good place to start:

http://tinyurl.com/q2w9s6j

Once adapted you can pretty much IGNORE the cals in number since adaptation will significantly reduce your "appetite"
  • deansdad101
    Oops.......

Sodium should be 3 - 5,000 mg (milligrams - NOT grams)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Doing a very low carb diet with high protein (and 35 g every 3 hours is very high) is a recipe for disaster. It's hard on your kidneys, too.

Low carb diets require you to eat high fat because proteins will break down to glucose just like carbs and you will not be in ketosis.
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Do you think 1000-1200 calorie with 15% C, 50% P, 35% F is okay or should I go lower in Protein and higher in Fat!!
  • deansdad101
    Do you think 1000-1200 calorie with 15% C, 50% P, 35% F is okay or should I go lower in Protein and higher in Fat!!
    Mora;

15/50/35 is neither low carb nor high fat which is what most in this group are focused on.

It might be "okay" for you, might have "worked" for others, might even be "recommended" by someone, somewhere, with whatever "proof" they are able to present.

What it is NOT, is LCHF, Atkins, or Keto (which are not the same but are the methods most here prefer and are best able to comment on).

If your question is, "is it ok as a LC diet?" - the answer is a resounding NO (for a whole bunch of reasons).

If your question is, "is it ok for me (you)?" - the answer is much more complicated as that's a question none of us here are really qualified to answer. We can offer "opinion" but only you can decide what is best for you.

My "opinion"......no it's not "ok"
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    I am doing 20 25 55 My doctor recommends a diet by assigning blocks of 4 carbs and 10 proteins .. I try to push it into this calculator. and this is what I came up with .. it works for me..
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Mora;

15/50/35 is neither low carb nor high fat which is what most in this group are focused on.

It might be "okay" for you, might have "worked" for others, might even be "recommended" by someone, somewhere, with whatever "proof" they are able to present.

What it is NOT, is LCHF, Atkins, or Keto (which are not the same but are the methods most here prefer and are best able to comment on).

If your question is, "is it ok as a LC diet?" - the answer is a resounding NO (for a whole bunch of reasons).

If your question is, "is it ok for me (you)?" - the answer is much more complicated as that's a question none of us here are really qualified to answer. We can offer "opinion" but only you can decide what is best for you.

Okay I get it now! One more thing I need to know here. should I stay below 20 g net carb or just set it to 5- 10% of calories.
  • deansdad101
    Mora;

Okay I get it now! One more thing I need to know here. should I stay below 20 g net carb or just set it to 5- 10% of calories.
    Mora;

Both the 20g and 5-10% are "targets" for those interested in entering into ketosis. The actual numbers vary by individual but <20g net for 2-3 weeks is the general guideline. Just <20g though, isn't enough - for example, if protein is too high it will prevent (or significantly reduce) adaptation.

Some folks can and do "jump" right in and go from high carb levels (which your 50% is) to <20. It can be done but it's not absolutely necessary. Personally, I'd suggest you first start by stepping down your carb levels a little at a time - much less stress on the system and (for many) are far greater chance of long term success.

If you are currently at 150-200 net carbs/day (just a guess since your diary isn't open), set your daily target for 100 or so and give it a week or so until you've learned the mix of foods that will allow you to reach that goal every day. Your body will adjust to the new levels, hunger will begin to decrease and you'll be able to reduce the daily target by another 10-25 carbs.

Continue the process until you are something under 50, every day.
    At that point you can decide if keto is for you and give it a shot if you decide to.
    Even if you don't - reducing from 150+ to 50 is a MAJOR step in the right direction for a whole host of reasons.

Good luck and keep asking questions anytime you feel the need.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Once adapted you can pretty much IGNORE the cals in number since adaptation will significantly reduce your "appetite"
    :heart:
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    I am doing 20 25 55 My doctor recommends a diet by assigning blocks of 4 carbs and 10 proteins .. I try to push it into this calculator. and this is what I came up with .. it works for me..

I was asked to explain this..

a box of protein in this diet plan is about ... 1 oz of meat One egg ... so 10 boxes is about 60 to 80 g of protein

a box of carbs is between 5 and 15 g of carbs ... so 60 g being high, but I have almost lost my weight now ..
    a cup of strawberries, a small apple ....

They do it for ease of choice.. with lists of foods not grams or calories ..

I lean towards the high side of carb .. . because I do

60 g of carbs 80 g of protein 84 g of fat ...

so 20 % c/ 25% p/ 55% fat

1,200 calories a day 60 g carbs 73 g fat 75g protein is what worked out..