Pole Trick/Spins/Combo Names

silverraiyne
silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
I really wish we could get one universal dictionary of pole terms for all studios to use instead of each one coming up with their own names for tricks and spins. It makes it so hard when you want to find extra tips or information online but your pole studio calls it something completely different than the next one.

For instance, tonight I learned some really pretty spin variations on a basic spin our studio calls the Sun Wheel (others call it Stag Spin, Attitude, ankle hook, reverse showgirl, etc) My irritation tonight comes from the fact that I cant find anything on the variations we did because (I'm guessing here!) they're probably called something entirely different that any of those names.

So, any of you ladies have names for the spins I learned tonight? The first one was like a basic sun wheel but instead of hooking the ankle on the pole, you put your shin on the pole but with your legs still in that basic "stag" position. The next one we learned started more like a reverse grab where we got a "floating" start, did a sun wheel, then spun into a chair, then reversed out of it so we were then in a reverse sun wheel heading the other direction. It was a really pretty spin and I'd love to be able to look it up online...if only there was a common name it would be so easy.

Replies

• silverraiyne
    Found it, sort of. this isn't the exact combo but pretty damn close, except on static not spinny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zODLYZmaFT8
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    Flying Half-Pint to Chair Sit to something I don't have a name for. :bigsmile:

Yeah, I'm with you. I am constantly having to go to poledancedictionary.com to look up the spins everyone else talks about because my studio has this "we named it first and we aren't changing" attitude. I don't know if that's true (the naming it first part) or not.

I looked up "Sun Wheel." That's what we call a one-legged Firefly. I am guessing your reverse Sun Wheel is our Flying Half-Pint.
  • silverraiyne
    I looked up "Firefly spin" -- my studio calls that a Sugar Spin and it's the very first thing you learn when you start. I don't get the whole thing of studios naming moves differently. I know my studio is a hybrid yoga/pole studio so they name a lot of the moves based off of similar yoga poses. And there's been talk about copyright issues, but it's a freaking body movement, you can't patent or copyright the way someone moves their body si what's the point of getting all possessive over the names of that movement?!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    The one-legged Firefly isn't quite the same. You hook the front ankle, but have the back leg bent with knee forward. "Stag legs" I've seen it called.

I understand there is also a movement to have all moves renamed to what appeared to me to be Bingo call letters. So, a chair sit would become an R-22 or something like that. This is from the people who want to legitimize pole for the Olympics. I understand where they are coming from, but I started pole dancing because it was fun and sexy, not because I wanted to join a sport.
  • Aproxima
    Aproxima Posts: 17 Member
    I use the spin city pole bible for the names. But I also heard there is another book; the PDC syllabus...