How Many Grams of Protein Do You Eat Each Day?

Options
msnucerity
msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
Hi All,

Wondering how much protein do you eat each day?

For those eating 100+ grams of protein each day what are you eating? Anyone consuming higher amounts of protein doing so without whey powder? And if so, what are you eating to achieve this?

(I want to reach my protein minimum each day since I do exercise/lift but I have a dairy allergy so whey protein is off the table unless I want to be sick every day)

Thanks all!

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I eat about 100g daily, and that mostly comes meat, but I don't have a specific target, some days are more, some are less.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I try for around 100.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm around 100 as well and that's without whey, just from food. I do have some grass fed whey (with no other ingredients) but I use it to sneak protein into my child's smoothies. I too have more or less; I let my body/appetite dictate my protein consumption day to day.

It's very easy to add more protein, just eat more meat. I generally eat fatty meats but if I wanted to boost my protein I would add more lean meats (without reducing fat grams much of course). My setting is for 25% protein but I do have days where I am around 30% or more, and days where I'm closer to 20%.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm around 100g or so, as well.

As others said, it's pretty simple -- eat more meat. Eggs with ham/bacon/sausage/steak for breakfast, chicken/steak/egg/whatever on the salad for lunch, etc. Eat a 5oz can of tuna instead of a 3oz one, have jerky for a snack, and so on.

You don't need whey, and even if you used protein powder for any reason, you still don't need whey. There are other options, including egg white protein.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I try for about 70g but end up going over most days.
  • LyndseyGarber
    LyndseyGarber Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking! I was just wondering this myself!
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,305 Member
    Options
    I am around 100, too and fish or seafood is concentrated protein if I need a booster beyond eating more meats. I also sometimes use Now brand Egg White protein powder for smoothies or as a booster. It contains 16 g per 1/4 cup.
  • Clothwright
    Options
    I aim for 95g a day. Typical day might be lean sausage and/or eggs for breakfast, chicken or tuna salad for lunch, chicken breast for dinner.

But something weird happened this week, I am trying to figure it out. A couple days ago I lost all appetite for meat. Nothing I had on hand (meatloaf, chicken, sausage, tuna, fish) was appealing at all. It all seemed absolutely yuck. I haven't started scarfing bread or anything like that, but I just can't bring myself to eat meat! Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I aim for 95g a day. Typical day might be lean sausage and/or eggs for breakfast, chicken or tuna salad for lunch, chicken breast for dinner.

But something weird happened this week, I am trying to figure it out. A couple days ago I lost all appetite for meat. Nothing I had on hand (meatloaf, chicken, sausage, tuna, fish) was appealing at all. It all seemed absolutely yuck. I haven't started scarfing bread or anything like that, but I just can't bring myself to eat meat! Has this happened to anyone else?

I've gone through phases like that. During those times, I'll generally just stick to the vegetables and fats during those times. Also, think about what it is you are hungry for. I often find that I'm sick of the meats I usually have (beef, chicken, pork), but craving something I haven't had in a while (bison, duck, etc; yes, there's a difference between beef and bison, and chicken and duck). I either put up with it until it passes, or try to get what it is I'm going after, because it's usually because I'm low in something that food has.
  • Clothwright
    Options
    Thanks--it helps to know I'm not the only one. I think I'll just ride it out and maybe I'll regain the taste for meat in a few days. I have kale and collards in the fridge, those are sounding really good right now, so there will be more greens in my future.
  • Captaincove
    Captaincove Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try basing your Carbs as a % of your total calorie intake. For instance, 20% of calories for Carbs, 50% Fat and 30% Protein.
  • Pixydin
    Pixydin Posts: 14
    Options
    Try basing your Carbs as a % of your total calorie intake. For instance, 20% of calories for Carbs, 50% Fat and 30% Protein.
    I'm close to your % - 25% calories for carbs, 45% fat and 30% protein most days. These amounts work best for me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Without the context of calories, percentages are pretty useless. 30% protein for someone who consumes 4000 calories is a ton more than 30% for someone who consumes 1200, and without knowing the calories, the percent-based recommendations could be way, way off. What's more, is that the body doesn't really change its needs based on number of calories needed, particularly for protein and, to a lesser extent, carbs.

It also doesn't change the fact that if that "30% protein" comes out to something like 90 or 100g, the OP is still in the same boat -- how to reach that goal. And while you may argue that if she sticks to the percentage-based method, she'll have the same percentage whether she eats 1200 or 2000 calories, but the problem with that is that the body needs a certain amount of protein to handle tissue building and repair, and if she only eats 1200 calories (for example), 30% may fall well below the amount she needs to support those processes (likewise, if she eats 3000 calories, 30% of that is arguably too much protein and can cause a number of its own problems).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    ^This is exactly right. With the caveat that if someone is insanely active as to need 4000 calories they would likely need more protein for tissue repair, but yes, 30% would probably be too much. All depending on many factors.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I try to hit 100g a days because I'm losing weight and protein can be muscle sparing.
  • ElisaMicciulli
    ElisaMicciulli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am impressed with all of you. I try all day long to eat high protein items like almonds and tuna and other types of fish. When I went back to my diary I see that I can't even get to 50g a day. What are you all doing that gives you such a greater intake of protein?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    famuv5ive wrote: »
    WOW! I am impressed with all of you. I try all day long to eat high protein items like almonds and tuna and other types of fish. When I went back to my diary I see that I can't even get to 50g a day. What are you all doing that gives you such a greater intake of protein?

Nuts aren't really high protein items. They should be considered a high fat item. Almonds, for example, have 20g of protein per cup (not that you'd eat a cup, but it's a large enough volume to see the differences in nutrients), but 45g of fat per cup. (It always cracks me up that conventional wisdom lauds the benefits of nuts as a "protein source," when it's arguably the fat that's providing the benefits.)

Most animal based proteins (meat, eggs, etc) average about 7g of protein per ounce. So, you can get pretty close to 100g a day pretty easily by eating 5oz servings of meat at each of three meals instead of the usually-recommended 3oz servings. Adjust accordingly if you eat more or fewer meals, of course. (7g/oz*5oz/meal*3meals/day = 105g/day)

If you do more meals, or you prefer smaller meals with snacks in between, then just make sure your snacks are protein-based -- jerky is a great protein booster, eggs are pretty good too (1 egg ~= 1oz of protein), cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, or milk kefir if you do dairy are pretty good, too.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Eat the animals! At every meal, for snacks, etc. ie everything Dragonwolf said. I'm actually having trouble keeping my protein moderate these last few days. My grass fed meats are far too lean. I put butter on my slices of beef roast last night. lol

Nuts suck for protein and should be consumed very rarely (most people). I consider nuts a fatty carbohydrate food, which is a bad macro mix for me. They should not be a daily staple food and that has less to do with the macros and more to do with anti-nutrients (they have similar nasties as grains).
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm around 80-105...I feel satiated when I eat at this level. My macros sit around c/p/f 25/25/50