Body Aches?

Options
CARoberts73
CARoberts73 Posts: 71 Member
One thing I've consistently noticed when I get going on LC is.....when I wake up in the morning my body just aches. Yes, yes I'm over 41 and over weight....but I don't normally ache like this!

Anyone else experience this? I googled and read that my body is "detoxing" but my trust level with things I read on google is about 1.5% :tongue:

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing electrolytes? From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney / Volek.

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

Achiness could be related. Drink some broth.
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    Are you supplementing electrolytes? From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney / Volek.

Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

Achiness could be related. Drink some broth.

Ah, thank you. I'm reading that book but I'm only on chapter 2, as I just got it yesterday. I love bouillon......especially chicken with a little HWC to make it taste like cream o'chicken. Don't have to tell me twice!
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    I had for lunch: a salad with a little bit (2 carbs worth) of full fat ranch, green leaf lettuce, tomato, with some nice chunks of steak fried in olive oil on top. Paired it with a big mug of chicken broth that had a shot of HWC in it. Maybe it's psychological but I feel so much better now!
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    CAR I experienced the body aches and all the other symptoms of Induction flu for 3 weeks, it does get much better. I still occasionally have leg cramps early in the morning and I suspected it was due to low sodium (which I don't try to limit it just seems what I eat isn't salty enough some times). Hang in there, I too was a little worried until I read on the forums that these symptoms were normal for some people.
  • CARoberts73
    Options
    CAR I experienced the body aches and all the other symptoms of Induction flu for 3 weeks, it does get much better. I still occasionally have leg cramps early in the morning and I suspected it was due to low sodium (which I don't try to limit it just seems what I eat isn't salty enough some times). Hang in there, I too was a little worried until I read on the forums that these symptoms were normal for some people.

Thanks!
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's not my whole body just my lower back has been killing me.