New to deadlift and DOMS...

Options
MyRummyHens
MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
I've been lifting free weight for about 14 months now, the last 6 of which have been barbell, previously used dumbbells as that was all I had access to. The *only* lift I avoided was DL, it is/was just a confidence thing. For some reason I was petrified of doing it. After some prompting I've spent a lot of time working on form without the barbell, and then with (unloaded) and moved over on Monday to having a go with some weight.

I did 25kg (I'm only 98lb myself) 1 set of 5 reps and felt really good at the time. Managed to hold my form although I was tiring rapidly by rep 5. Next day, holly wow! Serious DOMS in the quads and glutes and some in hamstrings. I felt like I my muscles were SO full of water that I was waddling! Skipped doing DL's on Wednesday and I was planning on doing another set tomorrow with my third lift day of the week.

My back has been totally fine (and it's my weak spot), so I'm assuming from the location of the DOMS that my form really is okay when actually lifting weight? Should I drop back a bit on the weight? Go for the same weight again? Somehow I never had any appreciation for how differently DL uses your quads and glutes compared to squatting! Hoping the DL improves my (rather poor) squat!

Replies

• Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You're feeling the pain in all the right places. I would repeat the same weight again next time you're ready to DL. After a couple of times you won't be tired on the 5th rep. Following this you should then up the weight.
    Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you want to check your form, video it. Location of DOMS isn't really going to tell you much, if anything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging