Breaking Thru a Weight Plateau

I've lost more than 30 lbs in the past 6 months but have been stuck at the same weight for nearly a month now. I've got 30 more pounds to lose so this is getting really frustrating.

I'm watching the macronutrient mix of my LCHF diet pretty closely, and am ensuring my total calories are a range that should induce continued weight lose. But I'm stuck.

There are no hidden calories in my diet, though I must be taking too many in. I feel hungry. It's not what I've experience prior to this. Any suggestions for breaking though this plateau?

I should add, I'm having headaches and feel rather like I'm having low blood-sugar. I know what that feels like from years ago when I ate poorly.

Didn't have the headaches or feelings of hunger during the first 30 lbs of my weight loss. I'm trying to drink more water, but wonder what else I can do?

I can increase healthy fat more, but clearly would need to limit my moderate protein intake even more than I already am. Carbs are nill already.

~Frustrated in Dallas

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Can you open your diary?

You've lost 30 lbs. It may be time to readjust calorie intake. And if you weren't having to control those before, you may need to now.

Also, you should not be hungry. Something sounds off to me, so let us look, and see what we can do to help.
  • YourKnight
    YourKnight Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much. I'm sure you are right about needed to readjust my calorie intake. Guess I took off the easy pounds first? My food diary is not open because I am not regular about updating it. I realize not knowing the details may make it hard to offer suggestions. I had started off with more protein, and have begun limiting that out of concern that gluconeogenesis might be bumping my blood sugar up. Recent NON-fasting blood tests (2 weeks ago) at my doctor registered a 90 on glucose, btw. That wasn't the point of the test (thus it wasn't fasting), but it was listed on the report. So not low after a very-low-carb, moderate-protein, moderate-fat breakfast. I'm wondering if I need to cut protein even more (currently <90gm/day), and add more healthy fat. I figure water/dehydration (or electrolyte imbalance) may be an issue as well? Anyway, I appreciate the offer of help. I'll open the food diary if I have the chance to update it. Have a super day.
  • sljohnson1207
    It's really important to keep very accurate records when trying to solve the puzzle that is a weight loss stall. Please faithfully log everything, everyday, and keep coming back.

With Low Carb, you have to increase fats, esp. if you are very low carb and trying to maintain ketosis. And yes, too much protein can cause issues.
  • YourKnight
    YourKnight Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you, @sljohnson1207. Recently I think I overate some "paleo humus" made with cauliflower over the course of several evenings as a snack. My wife made it, so not sure if it was the carbs or fat (or both) that got me. Think it had olive oil in it. Per your recommendation, I have increased the healthy fats. Normally my carbs are around 30g's/day. I think you are right about monitoring everything even more carefully. Appreciate everyone's help.
  • sljohnson1207
    YourKnight wrote: »
    Thank you, @sljohnson1207. Recently I think I overate some "paleo humus" made with cauliflower over the course of several evenings as a snack. My wife made it, so not sure if it was the carbs or fat (or both) that got me. Think it had olive oil in it. Per your recommendation, I have increased the healthy fats. Normally my carbs are around 30g's/day. I think you are right about monitoring everything even more carefully. Appreciate everyone's help.

Glad to have helped. I hope the scale starts moving in the right direction for you soon. Keep logging! Keep learning! Keep succeeding!

• A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    What is your exercise like? A bit of exercise can go a long way, if you're still hungry (which isn't typically common on a low carb diet) I'd suggest upping the exercise (depending on what you're doing) rather than restricting calories or protein further....just my two cents :) past that and the other suggestions here, I'd discuss with your doctor, and if you haven't had a full panel of labs done recently including Vitamin levels I'd suggest looking there. I don't think one over indulgence should derail even a weeks loss....keep tinkering...Good luck!