Replies

• fifty6ford
    fifty6ford Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! Thank you!
  • JRadd14
    JRadd14 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

A website I recommend is www.livingonadime.com. One of the founders is dealing with fibromyalgia and is homeschooling her children. The site goes into many things, including food and recipes.

Sometimes I look at the clearance rack at the store (they usually hide it in the back). You can get some things at half- or quarter-price.

Coupons can be helpful, too (just check the dates and the store policy).

Can you grow anything at home? Maybe start a small garden, even if you grow things in a container (the gardening might be helpful with the depression, too).

^ Great site! And I do all of the above things too, sometimes the menu has to change based on what's on clearance but that's OK :)

though coupons can be a trap when you're on a tight budget if you're not eagle-eyed with them -- use the really good deals but otherwise just go for what's cheapest. sometimes that's a trade off with what's healthiest though.

The garden, even just fresh potted herbs in your kitchen, is so helpful. Lettuces & tomatoes for us go a long way in summer.

I actually have a pre-planned "broke" grocery list that I go through when money is super tight and there's no chance of stretching it on the food. Learned this from my mom and sister who also do it :) Then if we have more, I can add in other things.

It includes some healthy basics, and I just steel myself to not buy something if it's above the price I have set that I can pay for it.
    Some examples:
    Boxed rice - $2
    Bagged beans - $1 each
    Ramen - 6/$1 (I know, not nutritional but at least there's something in the pantry)
    2 dozen eggs - $4 (I hardboil one dozen)
    Clearance bread- $1
    Canned tuna - 4/$3
    Peanut butter - $3
    Cheap lunchmeat 2/$1
    Turkey hot dogs $1
    Shredded cheese $2
    Frozen veggies $1 each
    Canned veggies no more than 2/$1
    Whatever fruits are on sale up to $5
    A few frozen lunches $1 each
    Big bag of frozen chicken breast $6
    Lettuce $1
    Fresh veggies on sale up to $4
    Any fish or meat on a good sale (less than $2/lb)
    ... you probably get the idea.That all comes up to about $50. It works, even if it's not varied or ideal. You may notice I'm also not the greatest cook in the world, basically we eat chicken, veggies, rice & beans and salads, as well as soups and chili and sometimes tacos. Thats because I can't pull off the whole-chicken or roast thing, although it's a great idea. breakfast is bagels if I have some extra or an egg and toast if we don't. lunch is frozen, or PB or lunchmeat sandwiches. Snacks are fruits or hot dogs or sometimes some baked chips or popcorn. Thankfully usually these days we have lots extra but I keep the "broke" list around anyway.. it still forms the basis for the not-broke list :)

Excellent idea to have a grocery list that's not only calorie conscious but also budget friendly.... Lots of great tips in this thread!

Additional suggestions...
    Mashed cauliflower (Large one makes quite a few servings... I add almond milk, garlic and garlic seasoning - very versatile
    Turkey Cheddar Brats (when on sale)
    Zuchinni (for zuchinni noodles)
    Spray olive oils (when on sale)
    Sour cream and cream cheese (can be used straight or seasoned to be sweet or savory - versatile for dips and add ons.
    Oatmeal (add a nut butter, honey, protein powder, chocolate chips, whatever!)
    Greek yogurt (to make overnight oats with the oatmeal or eat plain)
    Flat bread pizza (I found a great flatbread at Walmart, but any low cal one will do. I usually make it with spray olive oil, low fat cheese, seasonings, tomato paste seasoned and thinned out for the sauce, or BBQ sauce, and turkey pepperonni)
    Eggs (hardboiled, or "fried" - Can eat as is or eat on a sandwhich or make into egg salad)
    Turkey bacon
    Chicken - on sale...

Be sure to plan out the meals for the week - planning is key so that you get only what you need and have plans for leftovers. Look at sales, and search on-line - lots of great resources.

Good luck!
  • Tabran
    Tabran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi look for a recipes for breakfast. I eat in the car on the way to work do you have any thing you can share.
  • coombej2
    coombej2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow...I never manage to get out of the supermarket for under 140 AUD a week...

I will leave you to research the recipes on skinnytaste, but here is a break down of what your grocery bill could be if you plan right.

Monday: Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells (serves 9 with three shells each) $15.70 initial buy
    - 1 pack frozen chopped spinach ($1)
    - 1 large onion ($0.70)
    - 2 cloves of garlic (one head of garlic $0.50)
    - 1 tsp olive oil
    - 1 28 oz cruched tomatoes ($1)
    - 1 Tbsp chopped basil ($2 for a pack)
    - 1 15 oz container of ricotta ($3)
    - 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, part skim ($3 for a pack)
    -1 egg ($1.50 for a cartoon of medium eggs)
    - 1/4 cup parmesan grated parm ($3 a container)

Tuesday: Turkey "Parm" Burgers (serves 4) $11
    - 1 4 pack of Turkey patties or 1 lb of ground turkey ($6)
    - 4 oz shredded mozzarella (Have some left over from last night $0)
    - 4 tbsp spaghetti sauce ($2)
    - 4 Whole Wheat hamburger buns ($3)

Wednesday: Sloppy Joes $13.50
    - 1 lb Italian sausage ($4)
    - 1/2 cup onion (left over from Monday)
    - 3 garlic cloves (left over from head of garlic)
    - 2 green peppers ($1.50)
    - 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes ($1)
    - 1/2 tsp dried rosemary ($3 for jar)
    - 4 hamburger buns (left over)
    - 4 slices cheese ($2)
    - 1 cup baby spinach ($2 for a salad pack)

Thursday: Left over night! What ever left overs you have you eat up tonight! If there are no left overs then Breakfast nightt! $8.50
    - 8 eggs (already bought the cartoon)
    - Bacon or sausage ($5 assuming bacon)
    - Sliced bread ($2)
    - Strawberries ($1.50 for a carton at Krogers right now)

Friday: Pizza night! $5
    - 4 whole wheat tortillas ($3 for a pack)
    - left over Shredded Mozzarella
    - left over spaghetti sauce
    - Mini pepperonis ($2)

Saturday: Italian grilled chicken with grilled marinated veggies! $23.40
    - 8 4 oz chicken breasts (4 being saved for tomorrow after gilled) ($12)
    - 1 bottle italian dressing ($2)
    - 1 pack mini peppers ($5)
    - 2 onions ($1.40)
    - prepackages lower sodium marinade of your choice (usually about $3)

Sunday: Salad night! $9.00
    - Left over grilled chicken
    - Baby Spring Salad Mix ($4 for a huge tub)
    - Salad dressing
    -Carrots ($1)
    - Radishes ($1)
    - Salad dressing ($3)

That comes to about $86 for the dinners, assuming that you need to buy everything already. But if you already have the herbs, or the spaghetti sauce or the salad dressings then it makes it even cheaper. For breakfasts do cereals (get the bagged ones, they are cheaper), oatmeal, etc... And lunches can peanut butter sandwiches, or lunch meat sandwiches, with fruit and a cookie or two.

All the prices are based on Kroger prices, so depending on where you shop it could end up being even cheaper.[/quote]

• metalheadjessus
    metalheadjessus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at university, and it is hard to eat healthily on a tight budget but it is entirely possible.

I buy ingredients that I can use in lots of different dishes to minimise wastage such as onions and general salad ingredients which can be put in sandwiches, used as a side dish etc etc. I also like to substitute meat for something like soya mince every now and again to save money, or even avoid meat replacement products altogether; there seems to be a culture that we should eat meat for every meal, but that isn't really necessary. Going veggie for even just one night a week and making something like a bean chilli can save money whilst being really healthy too. I also like jacket potatoes because you can put almost anything that you like/ have to hand on them and they are really filling; I like mine with salad on the side.

I've also found that buying seasonal, local produce can be cheaper than out of season, imported goods and better quality too. Usually a local market is a good place to find these.

• odinalove1
    odinalove1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you need to plan your meals. the cheapest way is to plan to repeat a meal at least once. plan when to eat your carbs and when to enjoy more protein. plan your steaks for special nights and make whatever you can yourself. use same ingredients for different meals. eg. i make a salad with £2 and i also make bone broth with £1.50p for different meals, i put the salad in the broth with some noodles for ramen and then eat the salad with a chicken thigh for dinner, i could also put some ugu (the Nigerian name for pumpkin leaf) and spinach ..all from my freezer for about £1 a bag....with a table spoon of palm oil and some seasoning and that makes a very nice accompaniment for mash potato. then i could put the same salad and chicken thigh in bread to make a sandwich.

go to the frozen food isle and stock up on berries and vegetables. then get brown noodles, rice and pasta,bulgur etc browse the value isle of the local supermarket, get canned tomatoes, get frozen chicken and turkey sausages and frozen raw meat as well. if you buy them frozen they will make more than 1 serving.
    secondly always search the fridge and freezer and try and formulate a recipe with the ingredients before deciding to buy anything.

• Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Unstuffed cabbage rolls are inexpensive and quick to make. http://chefronlock.com/recipes/unstuffed-cabbage-rolls/ there are a bunch of different recipes for it, some have rice some don't. I can't eat rice so this one doesn't have any. However, if you eat rice it would be an inexpensive way to stretch the recipe. We add some tobasco to it too. Aldi is a great place to shop for inexpensive foods especially canned goods.
    Don't be embarrassed! Seriously, so many of us have been there. You can do some great things with soups and stews too. I'll see what else I can find.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
  • xayles
    xayles Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    alzogirl wrote: »
    Dried beans are cheap and are very versatile. As for the whole chicken mentioned below, you can use the carcass to make a soup stock. Just add a carrot, celery and onion along with spices you have on hand and simmer till flavours combine. Drain the stock, discard the veggies and pick of any chicken left on the bones and return to the stock. Now you can add some veggies you may have, rice, pasta, beans ... use anything you have at home. Always shop sales! Good luck to you.

I disagree about discarding the veggies... you don't need to do that. We just boil the chicken and add the veg to it later (just boiled till cooked)... The chicken stock is tasty on its own. This is also great for turkey... I don't like turkey except for the turkey soup on boxing day. Add loads of barley, celery, carrots, potatoes and any other veg you want (and some of the left over turkey - dark meat prob best). Mum uses a pressure cooker, but I don't think it would make too much of a difference. We can feed ourselves for a few days on that and you can freeze it if you have enough space in the freezer). Or, use the chicken stock as a soup base with some noodles and veg.
  • lysa4
    lysa4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great ideas everyone!
  • fifimustoe
    fifimustoe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We live on a very tight budget to. I make just about everything scratch. By doing that I buy staples (flour, sugar, coffee, etc..)I go to a meat butcher for meat that we don't raise. Cut out middle man. Buy in bulk and repackage. By making everything from scratch I can cut salt, sugar.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Target tuna is much cheaper than grocery store. You can get the large can of tuna for 2.50 If you can buy canned food, paper products, soap, dish-soap etc. at target you will get a much better price
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    xayles wrote: »
    alzogirl wrote: »
    Dried beans are cheap and are very versatile. As for the whole chicken mentioned below, you can use the carcass to make a soup stock. Just add a carrot, celery and onion along with spices you have on hand and simmer till flavours combine. Drain the stock, discard the veggies and pick of any chicken left on the bones and return to the stock. Now you can add some veggies you may have, rice, pasta, beans ... use anything you have at home. Always shop sales! Good luck to you.

I disagree about discarding the veggies... you don't need to do that. We just boil the chicken and add the veg to it later (just boiled till cooked)... The chicken stock is tasty on its own. This is also great for turkey... I don't like turkey except for the turkey soup on boxing day. Add loads of barley, celery, carrots, potatoes and any other veg you want (and some of the left over turkey - dark meat prob best). Mum uses a pressure cooker, but I don't think it would make too much of a difference. We can feed ourselves for a few days on that and you can freeze it if you have enough space in the freezer). Or, use the chicken stock as a soup base with some noodles and veg.

I use leftover peelings and scraps and bones that I freeze an pull out as needed for stock. Whenever I use celery or carrots or onions I save the remnants in a gallon ziploc in the freezer and use for chicken stock. Wing bones, drumstick bones, basically anything you can normally discard can make broth. Beef is tougher it is usually without bones. I DO then discard all this and add real veggies at the end so they aren't complete mush! I find my bone broth is best cooked in the crockpot about 24 hours, on the stove a full day.

• angelic1ang
    angelic1ang Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!

I found this blogger and there are many social media options to read the recipes.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/01/budget-byting-principles/
  • christmas435
    christmas435 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thank you!
  • MyTurn2BHappy
    MyTurn2BHappy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Bump for later :) Thank you to everyone!
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    One of my local dishes is bean crock

1 1/2 pound of dried mix beans
    1 pound pork belly or the cheapest cuts
    2x oxo cubes
    2 or 3 pieces of garlic
    Water to cover

Soak the beans overnight then drain the water and put all of the ingredients in to a large crock pot and add water to well cover put the lid on and place in the oven on high for 30 to 45 mins then turn down to 150c or gas 4 or 5 for at least 8 hours the longer the better i normally do it overnight for 10 to 12 hours but 8 will do remember to look at it once or twice and if it needs more water than top it up it will start to thicken and it is best when left to go cold and then reheated.

The quantities depend on the size of pot you got so play with the quantities to suit.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many great tips and ideas!

This Good and Cheap document has a lot of great ideas for eating well on a tight budget.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    Wow, so many great tips and ideas!

This Good and Cheap document has a lot of great ideas for eating well on a tight budget.

Thanks i have saved this to my laptop its great.
  • megkarson
    megkarson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Our family is living in a foreign country on a limited income and there are certain things we have come to love! LENTILS (and beans). Lentils are cheap and versatile and taste great in soup, with veggies and with meat. I recommend experimenting with lentil soups. Look up some simple recipes. I really like to make Curry Tomato Lentil soup. It's high in protein and low in fat. You can plug in all your ingredients under "recipes" and it will calculate the calories, etc. Lentils are pretty cheap in most places and so good for you. We even make "Lentil Horchata" for an after workout protein snack.

"Lentil Horchata"
    1/2 cup plain cooked lentils
    1/2 cup lowfat or skim milk
    1/2 cup or more water
    1-2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    pinch of salt
    ice

Blend and enjoy! It's absolutely delicious, high in protein, low in calories and super cheap!