What did your ancestors eat?

chani8
chani8 Posts: 946 Member
I eat a fairly 'clean' diet that is called Primal Blueprint/Paleo style of eating, if any of you have heard of such a thing. It basically states that we should eat the way our ancestors ate, and exercise they way they did.

So I ask, what did our Jewish ancestors eat? If you go all the way back to Adam and Chava's sons, they were already farming and raising sheep (presumably to drink their milk and eat them?). Avraham served meat and bread to the angels.

I was mentioning to my husband that a doctor online claims that meat is toxic to people. My husband's comment was, "Kosher meat is different." Got me thinking.

What do you think our ancestors in Eretz Yisroel ate on a daily basis 3500 years ago?

Replies

• noshermom
    noshermom Posts: 6 Member
    We know they had the shivas haminim. This also includes wheat. At time of churban oil and wheat were vonsidered staples which is why they were stockpiled.
  • chani8
    Great on the shivas haminim!!! I think I can get all of these locally, and it would be fun to incorporate them into our meals.

If I can't get rimon, I can get rimon wine. I'll have to check how much sugar it has in it.

Being low carb, I haven't had barley in ages, though. A little barley won't put me over my macros, though, if I'm careful.

Sounds fun!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    What do i care what they ate? I'm not them. I live in a modern world and I need to eat for my lifestyle.
  • chani8
    Today I made sure to have one of the shivas haminim with my brunch. I ate Israeli olives and it was nice to bentch afterwards.

I usually only eat wheat on shobbos.

Quinoa is a modern food that is popular, and while browsing the internet, I learned that Barley, one of the shivas haminim is even better for us than quinoa. So i'm going to add it to our menu as an alternative option to quinoa and rice.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Quinoa, rice and barley are very different things.

First of all, quinoa isn't modern, it's ancient. And it's a seed. Barley is a grain.
  • Michal833
    Michal833 Posts: 90 Member
    why cant you get rimonim?
    my 7 yr old happens to be into them.
    weve been getting really nice big ones
  • chani8
    I got organic rimonim! And I've been incorporating at least one of the shivas haminim into each meal. It's so fun! Makes me feel connected to my ancestors, instead of Paleo Man.
  • sarabearinaz
    sarabearinaz Posts: 7 Member
    We know exactly what they ate.

Dates
    Olives
    Olive Oil
    Grapes
    Figs
    Pomegranates
    Chick Peas
    Durum Wheat (not gmo, more dense in nutrients.)
    Barley (non GMO)
    Rice (introduced during the time of the 2nd temple)
    carob
    black mulberry
    some kind of orchard fruit which may have been an apple or a quince
    Mulberry
    Almond
    Walnut
    Pistachio
    honey

goat
    lamb
    dove
    pigeon
    duck
    goose
    quail
    partridge
    Chicken (introduced during roman period)
    fish

wine
    milk
    beer (brewed from barley)

Not written, but presumed eaten:
    squash
    leeks
    garlic
    onions
    black radishes
    muskmelon
    watermelons
    dandelion greens
    Orach
    Leeks
    Rocket (arugala family)

Herbs and spices included capers, coriander, cumin and black cumin, dill, dwarf chicory, hyssop, marjoram, mint, black mustard, reichardia, saffron and thyme. Some seasonings were imported, such as myrrh, galbanum, saffron and cinnamon