negative carbs??

Options
La5Vega5Girl
La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
i entered my dinner for tonight so i could see the info, carbs, fat, etc.
i have negative carbs! my green beans have 6 carbs, but 8 fiber
and the avocado has 0 carbs and 14 fiber.

does this mean anything? :ohwell:

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    The avocado information is wrong with what you are using. Avocados do have carbs....most of it coming from fiber.

The green beans may have already calculated "net carbs" for the carbs.

In the food database, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you're using food from the database, try to find the entries that DON'T have asterisks...they are from the USDA. I try to scan a lot of foods in using the app to also get as accurate as possible.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ^^what she said^^
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    The avocado information is wrong with what you are using. Avocados do have carbs....most of it coming from fiber.

In the food database, if it sounds too good to be turn, it probably is. If you're using food from the database, try to find the entries that DON'T have asterisks...they are from the USDA. I try to scan a lot of foods in using the app to also get as accurate as possible.

i wasn't trying to sneak anything by (LOL) but just wondered what it would mean to have negative carbs.
    :smile:
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

In the food database, if it sounds too good to be turn, it probably is. If you're using food from the database, try to find the entries that DON'T have asterisks...they are from the USDA. I try to scan a lot of foods in using the app to also get as accurate as possible.

i wasn't trying to sneak anything by (LOL) but just wondered what it would mean to have negative carbs.
    La5;

It would mean you woke up this morning a GAZILLIONaire!!!! (if you could patent your "discovery" <VBG>)
  • MelRC117
    Options

Oh no problem! I love the food database.....but for some reason people can be incredibly inaccurate and for some reason choose to add that food to the database.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't count "net carbs". My carb goals are based on total carbs.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    In Europe, fiber isn't included in the the total carb count. So basically, the listed carbs are already net carbs. If you subtract the fiber as well, you're just getting a wrong carb value. MFP is used worldwide, and some entries come from Europeans.

In general though net carbs cannot be less than zero. This means something is wrong if you see that. validating against the USDA site is good advice.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've seen this before with the Atkins shakes and bar entries in MFP. Some low carbers use those entries that say (adjusted for net carbs), but log all their other items as gross carbs, and then at the end of the day, their fiber looks higher and their carbs look lower, and it makes a negative.

Just be consistent. Either log all 'net carbs' or log all 'gross carbs', and add your fiber column, then just mentally subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net carbs.

I realize this can be difficult with the sugar alcohols because you're supposed to subtract those as well, however, you could always make your own entry and lump the fiber with the SAs so it shows up in the same column.

My guess is the entries you used were for net carbs, but still included the fiber.

Also, I believe in Europe, their labels already show net carbs, where in the USA they are separate, and you need to subtract to get net carbs. Someone from Europe correct me if I'm wrong, or confirm if I'm correct, please.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    Yes, I've seen this before with the Atkins shakes and bar entries in MFP. Some low carbers use those entries that say (adjusted for net carbs), but log all their other items as gross carbs, and then at the end of the day, their fiber looks higher and their carbs look lower, and it makes a negative.

Just be consistent. Either log all 'net carbs' or log all 'gross carbs', and add your fiber column, then just mentally subtract the fiber from the carbs to get net carbs.

I realize this can be difficult with the sugar alcohols because you're supposed to subtract those as well, however, you could always make your own entry and lump the fiber with the SAs so it shows up in the same column.

My guess is the entries you used were for net carbs, but still included the fiber.

Also, I believe in Europe, their labels already show net carbs, where in the USA they are separate, and you need to subtract to get net carbs. Someone from Europe correct me if I'm wrong, or confirm if I'm correct, please.
    '

i am glad you brought this up. sugar alcohols confuse me. so you're saying i should subtract S.A.'s from total carbs, just as i subtract fiber? i was just about to post this question. THANK YOU! (sorry for the ingorance) :ohwell:
  • MelRC117
    Options

'

i am glad you brought this up. sugar alcohols confuse me. so you're saying i should subtract S.A.'s from total carbs, just as i subtract fiber? i was just about to post this question. THANK YOU! (sorry for the ingorance) :ohwell:

Yes, net carbs is carbs minus fiber and sugar alcohols. That's what makes Atkins Bars, as an example, have 2-4 net carbs or whatever they may have. Sugar alcohols you'll find in sugar free candy or the Atkins products...I don't really see them in other things. The other side note, some people react to these sugar alcohols and can affect their loss. Also, I've heard they will make you go...some people get gas or diarrhea from them so I would recommend not overloading on them until you've tried a little and had a bathroom nearby. There are different kinds of sugar alcohols too...I know I'm fine eating the bagged Russel Stover sugar free chocolates (1 or 2) but they used to have a sugar free chocolate bar that was also Russell Stover...yeah....NOT GOOD.

Don't be worried about asking questions! We've all been there. And there's is always something to learn or new to try.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am in England UK and yes this confuses me as my totals do not always add up right due to my local products having fiber counted twice when trying to get my net carbs. Any entry in diary where the fiber is more than the carbs then I know it is my carbs total needs the fiber adding back in. The carbs listed on my local packaging are already net carbs.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I don't count "net carbs". My carb goals are based on total carbs.

i do total carbs too. its just easier in my opinion.