TOM and ketosis (graphic)

Options
janhiness
janhiness Posts: 32 Member
I got my period yesterday and holy crap. I've never felt so crappy ever. I'm bleeding like I just have birth all over again and my cramps are worse than ever. All I want is a freaking piece of cake. I partially needed to vent. I'm gonna try not to give in but my period usually throws off every diet I'm ever on. Any suggestions???

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry hun. sending ((((HUGS)))) :smooched:

i had a hysterectomy so i haven't had a period in a while, but i still have a bit of PMS sometimes and when it hits, i want to eat everything in sight! LOL (i still have my ovaries)

my best advice is to think of what you're craving and seek out a keto-fied alternative. do you want chocolate? eat a chocolate fat bomb. do you want crunchy chips? eat pork rinds or a few crunchy carrots or pickles.

STICK TO IT! DO NOT GIVE UP! the thing about this lifestyle is that it's not like a usual diet where you "cheat" and then the next day, you say, "oh crap, i shouldn't have cheated, oh, well, that was just one day, i'll get back to it." if you kick yourself out of ketosis, it could days days or a week to get back in! trust me, i have been tempted, but i've worked so darn hard, i know i don't want to mess up all that work!!!! i wanted a coke the other day (OH SO BAD) but i just smelled my son's coke and went on my way. just smelling it was enough to satisfy me, and it was zero carbs. (although, my husband teased me that smelling coke and donuts was 23 carbs and he freaked me out! LOL)

HANG IN THERE!!!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    It will get better. I know right now when you are in the middle of it, that matters exactly nothing to you. I just finished TOM. It's never fun. I have to say now that almost 5 months in, things are getting better. I'm regular again, and it isn't as heavy. I'm not as exhausted during it either. Getting fat-adapted shakes things up hormonally and as you lose weight it does the same. Being a woman sucks all around as hormones affect pretty much every darn thing. So I'm here to say that in my experience, periods will get better, but because of the hormone-level changes caused by losing a lot of fat, you may have the occasional return of the terrible period. But this one will be over in 6 more days. And chances are good that overall they will be less terrible.

Hang in there. Do exactly what the other poster suggested. Also, making sure your electrolytes are good makes the cramps hurt less. I'm less of an emotional psycho than I used to be before keto around TOM as well. Definitely a bonus according to my husband. :laugh:

Best wishes and web-hugs to ya, hon. :heart:
    Be easy on yourself and keep on plan. Treat yourself to a non-food reward for sticking through it.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with what baconslave said. Eating all the extra fat affects our hormones. Ironically, I have severe PCOS and eating keto has made my periods significantly lighter than before. I have never craved foods during my TOM so if it were me, I wouldn't cheat, especially because of the keto flu you'll have to go through again. You can do it!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I wish I had found you all 15 years ago! Back then I tried keto (had no idea it had that name), on a nutritionist designed diet. This happened to me, too. I had always had cramps and heavy bleeding but that was unbearable. I had to call in sick and stay home feeling half dead. Unfortunately the doctor that had so clearly diagnosed my problem moved away to work in Germany and, without his support, without Google and feeling worse than ever before I gave up, I just couldn't believe I was not hurting myself.

It makes such a difference to have the support and experience of others!

kjoH9Bp.gif

:flowerforyou:
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and so far keto has only helped, not caused me any problems in that area. I mostly get flood gate open levels on first two or 3 days. I used to get awful cramps with it in my early 20's but for unknown reasons I rarely get cramps any more and when do is mostly nausea and heavy feeling rather than serious pain. I do remember though that they could be agony. I did nothing to make them painful or to stop them being painful. With pcos i sort of accept that my hormonal system is a random senseless law unto itself.
    My main menstrual issues last few years has been missed periods, break through bleeding and totally unpredictable cycles. I actually had a period last month so that was good in my book. I hope it settles down for you. It might just be part of adjustment process as body continues to adapt to new way of doing things.

Ps: i usually get ravenouse with pmt but last month i did not so I agree with that Keto removed my premenstrual munchies.
    If very hungry I would lower carbs more than usual and eat more fat. That helps if i rarely get hungry while on Keto. I had steak yesterday and that was very filling.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thank God for HRT! I can't imagine what I'd be like if I weren't on them and doing keto. So sorry for you. Maybe a nice heating pad and a cup of broth might help?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I got my period yesterday and holy crap. I've never felt so crappy ever. I'm bleeding like I just have birth all over again and my cramps are worse than ever. All I want is a freaking piece of cake. I partially needed to vent. I'm gonna try not to give in but my period usually throws off every diet I'm ever on. Any suggestions???

The first period on keto was just awful. It took forever to arrive and I'm very regular. It got better after the first time, but it's far more painful than before keto. I don't know why. I make sure to take appropriate supplements to make sure I'm not missing out any nutrients. My periods didn't get heavier on keto. They're the same number of days and flow as before.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. Here's a recipe for a lc super easy chocolate dessert. It's like chocolate cake and I think it has @3 carbs.

In a buttered coffee cup add:

1 egg
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
    sweetener of your choice
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix well. Microwave for @55 seconds. You could top with whipped cream, a few raspberries, or even your favorite chopped nuts.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So, I got my visit from Flo yesterday and because it was a week early and no cramps or tenderness, I was surprised by it. I did have some sugar cravings over the weekend, which I now know why.